Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Ron Spomer and Hammer Bullets

Thanks for the advice. I'll give them a call next time I order some from them. I'm going to be trying out some 130-140 gr. for a 6.5 CR pretty soon.
What twist rate barrel?
A 140gr mono may not work in your CM without a fast twist.

Just worked up a load for a 300 win mag and 166 grain hammers. Took 8 bullets. 166 hammer hunter at 3322fps should do. Should get faster once barrel gets broke in. Or might get slower if I decide to cut 4” off and thread it for suppressor
8 round load development. Nice. mtmuley

Got some 120s for the 7 mag based on Steve’s suggestion. Have not had a chance to work up a load but looking forward to it. Should be a laser beam.

Thanks for the advice. I'll give them a call next time I order some from them. I'm going to be trying out some 130-140 gr. for a 6.5 CR pretty soon.
In your 6.5 it’s pretty hard to beat the 124 HH, or try the 123 AH and some Varget. No way would I go up to 140.

I have a spectacular load for 6.5 CM and 6.5-284 with 143gr. ELD-X. I'm looking to duplicate that accuracy with a 130-140 mono. The mono will give me the down range punch I'm looking for.

I have a spectacular load for 6.5 CM and 6.5-284 with 143gr. ELD-X. I'm looking to duplicate that accuracy with a 130-140 mono. The mono will give me the down range punch I'm looking for.
You’d be well served to readjust your paradigm as to bullet weight. Monos do better at higher velocity. By going heavier, you are reducing velocity, thereby losing effective range because of the minimum velocity for bullet expansion.

Call Steve if you don’t believe me. I’ve been loading monos for over 20 years. I used to be a big proponent of heavies. It’s counterintuitive for sure. But, I’ve had outstanding success with fast monos.

Mono bullets are less dense than lead. As a result they are longer in the same bullet weight, requiring a faster twist and eating up case capacity. If you want a slow and heavy mono load I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

The 196 is stable in a 10 twist also. I bugged Steve about a heavy for a 10. The Hammer guys are headed for Africa this month. Should have bullet reports after. mtmuley
Do you know what rifles they are taking this time? Saw somewhere one was a .375.

The 196 is stable in a 10 twist also. I bugged Steve about a heavy for a 10. The Hammer guys are headed for Africa this month. Should have bullet reports after. mtmuley
Yep, I have load with G1 Sendero 300WM, 196HH with RL26 that settled in at 3150fps. Full load data is in the Hammer Hunter spreadsheet. 1/2MOA in an older rifle that has over 1300 rounds through it. The jump is 0.095 which further confirms for me these bullets just don't seem to care about jump like others do which has been my experience shooting them in .243, .270, 30-06, 300WSM and 300WM. Accuracy was always better when pushed. I load to first sign of pressure, faint ejector and then back off 1 grain. Easy peasy so far for me.

I ordered some 181 Hammers to work up a .300 Weatherby load. First I'll say they are a work of art in appearance. It was suggested that I work with Nosler recipes to start. I couldn't get anything I could call a group with several different loads. I'm going with the theory that some guns and bullet combos just don't like each other. I'm going to try again with my new .300 Win mag when it comes in.
82.0gr of RL-23 works great in mine, but I used the 180, not the 181.
Yes, there is a difference.

Did I miss this but where would I find reloading recipes for Hammer Bullets, anyone know of a good resource?

Back