Road Hunting

idelkhntr

I'm not a road hunter so I don't get it. But are road hunters so lazy that they can't stop for one minute to take a leak and have to pee in a bottle and throw it out the window? What the :BLEEP:?

They are why I like to hunt areas with no road access. I have always been that way. It seems to be a standard in many areas to hunt by just beating your vehicle up and down the road.

It's hard to sink much lower on the bad citizen scale than pee bottles and uncovered piles of crap/TP. If you're gonna do that, you might as well just give everybody you see the finger.

But I've come to a bit of peace over all the guys I see driving up and down the roads. Not guys with loaded firearms ready to shoot out the window mind you, but guys for whom the fun of hunting is mainly seeing some scenery, drinking coffee, and catching up with old friends. If coming out to "old Bob's camp" and sipping whiskey, playing cards, telling stories, staying up late to see the stars...and then riding around most of the next day to see what's changed from last year is how guys enjoy hunting season, then who am I to judge.

I know more than a few who say "the best way to ruin an elk hunt is to kill an elk".

It's annoying but I try to be tolerant: as long as they are safe (and clean!) and keep those vehicles where they are supposed to!

Last edited:
I'm not a road hunter so I don't get it. But are road hunters so lazy that they can't stop for one minute to take a leak and have to pee in a bottle and throw it out the window? What the :BLEEP:?
It keeps the scent down so your location isn't given away. ;)

I'm ok with road hunters. That just means the idiots stay on the road and not out in the hills shooting at movement. Better for me anyways. It is annoying though when you get stuck behind them and they wont move or let you pass because they are worried your going to shoot their road buck.

Keeps em off the hillsides at least

It'd be a nightmare if they all had the gumption of the rest of us

Define road hunting. This fall I hunted sharptails off of forest service roads. Drive a few hundred yards, get out an walk a few hundred yards trying to flush birds. It was a lot of fun and I don't think I was bothering anyone since we never saw another person while hunting.

I also spotted a bunch of pronghorns from forest service roads and ended up putting a quarter mile stalk on one and killed it. My kid also killed one in an area with no vehicle access. We both had fun and would have had trouble getting more than a mile or so from a road in the area we were hunting.

I never pissed in a bottle though?

im assuming your not referring to guys that are to old to hike or have medical issues. (Handicap permits) this is the only way I get to enjoy hunting with my father these days. And believe it bothers him way more then anyone else that he can't get into the mountains on foot.

These type of areas are the way to get away from those kind if slobshttp://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=50090&stc=1&d=1445442416.

Attachments

• 0923150808.00.jpg
    0923150808.00.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 650
I say get out and enjoy the hunt in whatever capacity you're able to whether your an 18 year old with multiple sclerosis or a 80 year old with arthritis and a hip replacement. If someone is limited to hunting near roads I see no reason it would affect all of the cam Haynes types of the world.

People can pee in bottles all they want its when they throw it out of the truck thats the problem.

I shot my first bull Elk with my bow six years ago. After a long day of getting him packed out back to my pickup I started heading home. I pull up to the next road and have to wait for an ATV to go by. And to my surprise I see three dudes, each with a bow riding on the same ATV. I thought good luck getting an Elk like that. Obviously a guy has to drive on the road to get to an access point to hike in. But at least clean up after yourself and take a moment to stop and take a leak. This past Sunday morning I was driving into where I am Moose hunting and passed 20 vehicles driving up and down the road. I picked up three piss bottles form the side of the road. One of the vehicles stopped and all I saw from my mirror was a gun going out the window. That is one reason I don't hunt deer during the general season in Idaho. I'm afraid of getting shot, plus I don't think IDF&G does the greatest job at managing deer. Hence now allowing 10 year olds to hunt. I have a 10 year old and he is not physically or mentally mature enough to be carrying a gun around in the woods.

These type of areas are the way to get away from those kind if slobshttp://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=50090&stc=1&d=1445442416.

That's a fact, but you still have to drive to get there and pass by all of the road hunters.

For years I have looked down my nose at road hunters, rightfully so. I packed deep into the darkness and, more often than not, got what I was after.
This archery season was no different. I hunted hard for several days in the back country then decided to let the area rest while I looked elsewhere. While on a seldom used 2-track going through a timber patch I saw a 2-pt buck 28 yards from the truck. Not to look a gifthorse in the mouth, I pulled off the road and kilt him. It was 3:30 pm.
10 days later I took my daughter out on opening day of the general season. She's a girl. We did not exactly get get outta the truck at 4 am for a 2 mile hike. As it turned out we were just barely off the oil and at least an hour behind all the die-hards when I spotted a buck on the hillside about 150 yards away. Not to look a gifthorse in the mouth, I pulled off the road and kilt him. It was 8:30 am.
2 days later I took a first time hunter on his first ever deer hunt-he-s 30 years old. We were above treeline at sunrise and hunted several miles in steep rugged country looking for a monster. We saw lots of elk but no deer. We decided to move to a new area via the truck. The plan was to camp in a new location and hit it hard in the morning. However, while moving to the new area and driving a well worn road through BLM, I spotted 8 deer about 200 yards down a draw. 1 of them was a buck. Not wanting to look a gifthorse in the mouth, I pulled off the road and kilt him. It was 4:30 pm.
I make no apologies. I have had a stellar year. I got my first deer with a bow, spent a glorious day with my daughter and helped a new hunter experience his first successful hunt. We would all love to have taken a 200 class buck on the continental divide but the deer, my friends, are where you find them!
I still hate them damn road hunters-of which I'm not!!

Last edited:
For years I have looked down my nose at road hunters, rightfully so. I packed deep into the darkness and, more often than not, got what I was after.
This archery season was no different. I hunted hard for several days in the back country then decided to let the area rest while I looked elsewhere. While on a seldom used 2-track going through a timber patch I saw a 2-pt buck 28 yards from the truck. Not to look a gifthorse in the mouth, I pulled off the road and kilt him. It was 3:30 pm.
10 days later I took my daughter out on opening day of the general season. She's a girl. We did not exactly get get outta the truck at 4 am for a 2 mile hike. As it turned out we were just barely off the oil and at least an hour behind all the die-hards when I spotted a buck on the hillside about 150 yards away. Not to look a gifthorse in the mouth, I pulled off the road and kilt him. It was 8:30 am.
2 days later I took a first time hunter on his first ever deer hunt-he-s 30 years old. We were above treeline at sunrise and hunted several miles in steep rugged country looking for a monster. We saw lots of elk but no deer. We decided to move to a new area via the truck. The plan was to camp in a new location and hit it hard in the morning. However, while moving to the new area and driving a well worn road through BLM, I spotted 8 deer about 200 yards down a draw. 1 of them was a buck. Not wanting to look a gifthorse in the mouth, I pulled off the road and kilt him. It was 4:30 pm.
I make no apologies. I have had a stellar year. I got my first deer with a bow, spent a glorious day with my daughter and helped a new hunter experience his first successful hunt. We would all love to have taken a 200 class buck on the continental divide but the deer, my friends, are where you find them!
I still hate them damn road hunters-of which I'm not!!

Don't get me wrong. If I'm driving to my spot and see something I would take and I see it from the road, I'm probably going to take it. Off of the road of course. I've seen a few Moose this year driving in and was really considering taking one of them. But I still had six weeks left in the season and he just wasn't quite what I was looking for. My point simply is clean up after yourself and follow the rules.

The only "road hunting" I do is looking for whitetail does to fill the freezer and to take a nice drive with my main squeeze. Don't get me wrong I won't pass up something I see off the road either but I put more miles on my boots than a lot of people I know. I just enjoy the drive in beautiful country. Hell my girlfriend shot her first elk last year while looking for does just happened to see a group of cows. At least we followed the rules of getting so far off the road risking spooking the elk. I do however have disdain for the idiots who shoot out their windows, throw bottles and cans in the ditch, tear up the roads and chase shit around. Those people I have no respect for.

Yeah, I really don't mind them. I used to hate seeing it, but then I realized that the more people I see on the roads, the less people I see away from the roads. They can hunt the roads all they want!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back