RMEF - 18,000 acres of new public access

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Many of you have heard me talking about how RMEF is making public hunting access a very high priority. It has always been a high priority, but it is being given even more focus as we go forward.

Today, RMEF announced that they have closed on a real estate deal that will open up 18,000 acres of public land in a place where access is very difficult. In fact, near an area where some smart alec TV guys use helicopters to gain access to public land. ;)

RMEF secured an option on a 40 acre parcel that has access to Lewis and Clark National Forest. This part of the forest does not have an access point for miles in any direction. This will provide hunters with access to some of the best elk ground in all of Montana.

RMEF paid $190,000. The seller was a very cooperative person who wanted to see public access improved in the area. Landowners such as that party are at the core of a land ethic that makes some places so special.

FWP wants to own the property and has offered RMEF $50,000 to take over ownership and management. FWP has committed to manage the area as a public trailhead. This will require approval of the FWP Commission and the Montana Land Board.

This has been on a fast track since it came available in June. FWP and RMEF are working hard to get the property ready for public use by the time big game rifle season opens on October 26th. I think they will make deadline, and at least have a parking lot and some sort of foot/horse access trail ready by then.

Last year, RMEF sold the Torstenson Ranch, a/k/a the Double HH Ranch, in western New Mexico. Upon that sale, the proceeds were placed in a restricted endowment, the earnings of which (and no more than 5%) can be used for mission work such as this. I expect more of this kind of work to be done with that endowment allocation.

When this project came up, my excitement level almost put me through the roof. A big thanks to the landowner who worked to give RMEF first shot, our lands staff, and most admirably, the RMEF member who previously had hunting access across this land and notified RMEF that it was about to hit the market, thereby allowing RMEF to acquire it, even if it resulted in the loss of his exclusive hunting spot. A lot of people have worked very hard the last few months to make this deal work.

Looking forward to other announcements in other parts of the country, where RMEF access initiatives can continue making a difference for hunters.

Here is a link to the press release that was sent out today - ----> http://www.rmef.org/NewsandMedia/PressRoom/NewsReleases/RMEFOpensDoorsofPublicAccess.aspx

Red Hill Public Access_Page_1.jpg

Red Hill Public Access_Page_2.jpg

Awesome, is this on the west side since the east as all Wilks? Trying to find this "30 foot" common boundary.

Nope, east side. A true diamond in the rough that if it had hit the market and got listed by a realtor, would have been purchased by one of the surrounding landowners, immediately, and probably at a much higher price, as has been the case with a lot of land on that east end.

Just looked at the ownership...dang that is a small overlap but an overlap none-the-less. Good job Fin, RMEF, & FWP!

I was hoping it was part of a nearby ranch that will probably end up in the Wilks Bros landgrab.

Excellent News!

Even though the odds of me ever hunting there or even seeing it are near zero, it's a great feeling to know that there are still good folks doing good things for the benefit of the general public. A true WIN - WIN- WIN - WIN, etc... for everyone involved. Thanks for the story Randy!

Woohoo! Very proud of the RMEF and all who made this possible. Highly doubtful I'll ever hunt this, but someone from the public will have the opportunity and thats all that matters.

Great job.

If I'm looking at it correctly it is access to the east side of the big snowy mountains off of Red Hill road....north of the current trail head going into the big snowy mountains? I thought all that was already accessible with a bit of a walk?:confused: If I'm correct then at least the public land will get used more there with another access point.

If I'm looking at it correctly it is access to the east side of the big snowy mountains off of Red Hill road....north of the current trail head going into the big snowy mountains? I thought all that was already accessible with a bit of a walk?:confused: If I'm correct then at least the public land will get used more there with another access point.

On the FWP website, it states that those access sites do not offer adequate public access to this area due to steep topography and cliffs.

Like others said, I will probably never have the chance to hunt this land, but to the former land owner and the fellow that brought this to the attention on RMEF, they are owed a huge debt of gratitude. Good luck to everyone that has the opportunity to step foot on this amazing piece of land. (bummer for the neighboring land owners, I bet they are furious)

This is fantastic!! The "corner crossing" law was never intended to keep tax paying folks off the land they pay for. Nice work RMEF!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back