Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Risks of Roadkill

Around here, Highway Patrol will call people to salvage if a deer is hit. It does require a GW to issue a permit however.

Kansas requires salvage tags for deadheads, as well as roadkill. The tag is required before possession is taken, and is available from KDWPT officers and sheriff's officers. The tag is to remain affixed to the animal/deadhead in the usual fashion.

Before the tag is issued, the officers will examine the scene and make a determination that no shenanigans have occurred before allowing the public to take possession. Besides the tagging requirement, the officer keeps the waiver signed by the claimant which acknowledges that Kansas is not responsible for the quality of the meat, and claimant takes full responsibility for proper care, and disposition of the remains.

Colorado also has a list you can sign up for through the DOT and if an animal gets hit they will call the next person on the list with a mile marker and it's yours as long as you want to go get it. If not they go to the next. The DOT will give you a tag for it as well I believe

I had a fork horn buck run into the side of my truck once and it died on the spot. I was able to get a salvage tag from the state patrol and all the meat was salvageable except the front shoulder that impacted the truck. The meat was fine.

I had a fork horn buck run into the side of my truck once and it died on the spot. I was able to get a salvage tag from the state patrol and all the meat was salvageable except the front shoulder that impacted the truck. The meat was fine.

Bettin you coulda got the flat irons cut out. Those are some tasty and super tender steak if you know where they are at.

Colorado also has a list you can sign up for through the DOT and if an animal gets hit they will call the next person on the list with a mile marker and it's yours as long as you want to go get it. If not they go to the next. The DOT will give you a tag for it as well I believe

I really wished Wyoming would go for this. I would not take anything that I wasn't sure was a fresh kill, but if I got a call from law enforcement on something like that, I would jump.

I retrieved a freshly hit mule deer a few years ago and I probably wont do it again unless I know the animal only got hit in the head. The outside of the deer didn't look bad but opening it up it was pre-burgered badly. I ended up getting about 10 lbs that I was comfortable with for human consumption and the rest of what was even salvageable i sealed into bags and my black lab ate very well all winter. The CPW Officers that issued me the roadkill posession permit seemed grossed out that I even wanted the deer in the first place. I'll never forget as they were leaving my driveway one very sarcastically said "Bon Appetit." I did make some really good venison green chile with some of meat and I'm still alive today.

Green chile is a better descriptor of mulie intestinal contents which IIRC stinks terrible.

Green chile is a better descriptor of mulie intestinal contents which IIRC stinks terrible.

LOL bet it reminds you of times you gut shot a deer. Hate it when I do that. Now I go for head, heart or double lung. Too damn old and too damn lazy to track one now so I only take good kill shots or let it go.

Haha hadn't made that connection before. I actually fed it to some non-hunting friends of mine that were visiting on a ski trip and informed them of the meat's status after the fact. They were pleasantly surprised and slightly amused that I had fed my own guests roadkill.

I have taken a lot of road kill over the years here in PA. You just need to call and get a permit # from the office. People hit deer with the bow and leave it over night to find it in the morning. My thought is if it was not there on the way to work and its there on the way home its fresh. If I toss a quarter or two over the bank because of damage but have the rest at least I got something from it.

Tastes like meat. I've salvaged several that I've seen other people hit. As stated above, a full on broadside hit devastates a deer. One I salvaged had broken legs and had to be put down. That meat wasn't bruised but she was full of adrenaline and didn't taste that good.

LOL bet it reminds you of times you gut shot a deer. Hate it when I do that. Now I go for head, heart or double lung. Too damn old and too damn lazy to track one now so I only take good kill shots or let it go.

Don't think it was gutshot. Maybe a nicked intestine with a knife.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but it never occurred to me there would be a liability issue that would cause a state to prohibit salvage. If it's not there when I pass but is there a couple hours later when I return, I'll pick it up. I have eaten some good squirrels and birds that way, but no big game.

Here in Iowa the hitter has first dibs on the critter. You need to get a salvage tag from a LEO. If you don't want it I think there is a will take it list. I think the scavengers get a lot of it.

Why does the state need to release liability on a animal that has been hit by a vehicle? If your not smart enough to know the risks going into it, you shouldn’t pick it up

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back