Caribou Gear

Risks of Roadkill

WyoDoug

I am going to post this here because it applies to virtually all game animals.

Wyoming G&F stance and the same in most states is that it is too dangerous to allow people to take roadkill for human consumption.

My feeling is that is a lot of wasted meat in most cases. If the road kills is fresh, I say have the person applying to take the road kill sign a liability release indicating they know the risks and will not sue anyone for damages as a result of consuming road kill.

For Colorado, the law provides for the possession of “edible portions” of road-killed wildlife “from any road in the state of Colorado.” It also states that whoever takes the meat needs to obtain a donation certificate or tag issued by the DOW within 48 hours or “any entity authorized by the Division of Wildlife.”

I think all states should assume the same position Colorado took and leave the responsibility to who takes the roadkill to comply with the law and sign a waiver assuming all risks and liability.

Now, I kind of like to hear all sides, so what do you all think about being able to retrieve edible roadkill, especially freshly killed.

Now to add to my own post, you really need to know what you are doing retrieving roadkill for human consumption. It's like hunting mushrooms. If you don't know what you are doing, you will pay dearly for it.

I agree it should be legal and up to the consumer, also agree with provisions that say if you remove it you must do so entirely.

Personally... maybe if I saw the animal get hit definitely if I hit it.

Idaho allows salvage. It's your risk in doing it though. I think what holds people back is the inability to know what's fresh and what's not. In the more rural areas here the sheriff's deputies will start calling people who could use the meat in a vehicle vs. animal.

I agree with the above. I think Colorado has a good law in regards to roadkill. I personally wouldn't pick it up unless I hit it or saw it get hit.

I think if you can certify the exact time of the kill and know what you are doing to remove the bad portions, you should be able to retrieve roadkill. My gut feeling is it will be similar to cutting up a gut shot animal.

I will say in Alaska, there is actually a massive waiting list for road kill moose. They have a program for those with the most need are higher up on the list to get a moose sooner. I think the people who put it on, not sure if it's fish and game or not, will deliver the moose on a trailer to your home.

Montana made it legal in 2014. You have 24 hours to fill out a vehicle roadkill salvage permit to legally have possession of the animal. They can be obtained from the highway patrol, game wardens, biologists, and online on the FWP website. So far, I haven't heard of any complaints or of people abusing the intent of the law.

I saw a yearling whitetail get hit when I lived in GA. Person kept going so I stopped and threw it in the back of my truck. Brought it home and was able to salvage most of the meat. If I didn’t see it get hit then that’s a different story.

I retrieved a freshly hit mule deer a few years ago and I probably wont do it again unless I know the animal only got hit in the head. The outside of the deer didn't look bad but opening it up it was pre-burgered badly. I ended up getting about 10 lbs that I was comfortable with for human consumption and the rest of what was even salvageable i sealed into bags and my black lab ate very well all winter. The CPW Officers that issued me the roadkill posession permit seemed grossed out that I even wanted the deer in the first place. I'll never forget as they were leaving my driveway one very sarcastically said "Bon Appetit." I did make some really good venison green chile with some of meat and I'm still alive today.

Problem w roadkill laws is they should not encourage roadkilling. You might not think this would be a problem, but I knew a guy who mounted his spare on his front bumper and filled his freezer.

I've also heard of people intentionally hitting large buck mule deer for the antlers, and getting busted for it.

In Washington state I had elk from a road kill permit. I would have been skeptical about it but the person who harvested the elk saw the animal get hit by a car. It made fantastic stew

Last edited:
Legal in ND you just get a free carcass tag from the sheriff. If I see it get hit I’d take it if not completely destroyed. Around here people will usually call around if one gets hit to see if anyone needs the meat

Years ago, I would sign up for winter road kill moose. The Alaska rail road would bring moose to the next road crossing for pickup. Never did get that call, to far down the list. Nowadays charities get the first call.

I've helped salvage several whitetails, mostly when I was a kid. Illinois and Missouri allow it, and it's a pretty well known process. Obviously, you only take one you saw get hit, and can verify exactly how fresh it is.

If the guts are busted up, best to just leave them lay. Full-broadside hit won't get much meat fit for human consumption, but a dog won't mind (freeze it quick, and watch for bone fragments).

A deer hit only in the head is just fine, especially for making summer sausage. Bucks are normally taken by whoever hit it, and does can normally find a home after some phone calls. Just call the local sheriff, and you're good to go.

I feel there is no reason to keep people from eating it, so long as they accept all risk of consumption themselves. Just make a waiver part of the salvage tag, and it should work out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back