Rip.....ddt

iminrut

Last night was the night....I still can't beleive it happened. After several does showed up first, I was watching as the first buck that came by was a young forkhorn.....he screwed around for a while, and I kinda lost interest in watching him, so I started concentrating on trying to do something about keeping my hands warm (man it was cold yesterday afternoon, even in the Double Bull)......

So anyways, I'm not even watching anymore, when I hear the crunch of leaves coming from the other direction......I'm not even excited, just figured it was either another young forky or maybe one of the 4x4s I have been seeing..........then the young fork horn tucked his tale and made a quick exit.......I knew something was up then, but the deer was hidden behind some trees, so I couldn't see him yet.........and of course, I'm still not really paying attention.......the next time I looked up, it didn't even dawn on me yet until I quickly did a double take and grabbed my binos in a swift motion to verify......my goodness, it was him......

I can't remember much of the shot, except it seemed like I was making tons of noise as I reached for the bow , raised and drew back on him.......thankfully it was only a 20 yard shot, cause undoubtedly I would have missed at further ranges the way I was shaking.......perfect boiler room shot, and he still made it about 70 yards.

I let him sit for about a half hour, and by then I remembered I had to hoof it back to my truck to get my knives, and it was getting dark quick.......and forgetting a flashlight is not cool either.......man did I butcher that gut job....litterally.......I ended up with a mess.....not pretty, but got the job done........and of course I had no water with either cause I never even expected to actually shoot a deer tonight.......

Then I plan the easiest route for dragging, turns out there really isn't one........and like I said, it is dark......but when I finally slid him up to the truck, I still wanted to get a couple of field photos......I get him posed by the back of the truck, with the cargo light on....and the battery in my camera is dead !!! So I load him up, come home....charge my camera battery for about a 1/2 hour........then headed out with him to a nearby creek bottom, unloaded him and took a few photos, so I would at least have that much.........

So anywho, here are the pics.....not the best, but the best I could muster under the circumstances.......Clay

DDT_Trophy_Pic_1.JPG

DDT_Trophy_Pic_3.JPG

Big time congrats iminrut on the harvesting DDT! That's a mighty fine buck - you've done well.

That is frigin' awesome.

He was well deserved. I think the field shots turned out great and it seems you might have 1 or 2 of him on the hoof.;) :D

Congrats! Thats a sweet looking buck!

Note to self... bring flashlight and knives next time I go in the woods. :D

Actually been there myself, luckily its only a 15 min walk back to the truck though. I always bring a small surefire and a pocket knive now.

Congrats Clay on connecting with an awesome buck. After all the scouting you did on him, it good that you got to lay him down.

Thanks guys....I'm still in disbeleif this morning. The whole hunt seems more like a dream than reality..

Craig, I pulled the memory cards from my cams before I left last night......lucky enough to get a few last pics of him......including this one. I don't know why the image turned out so stupid. Me thinks that the flash went off, even though he was there with plenty of shooting light left......I think the Flash actually caused the pic to darken......oh well, it was a sign of things to come....

DDT_11-6-07_051-1.JPG

Totally awesome iminrut!!! Bigtime congrats on a hard earned trophy. I love those droptines.

Great buck! Lots of character, and a hunt you will remember. What else can you ask for?

Great job!

Shortside

WOW...thanks for all the kind words....

Well, I couldn't stand it anymore, I had take a string and a tape and tally a score......I came up with 154 gross...

I stuck with measuring it as mains with drops, But I still can't decide if they are drops or they are his mains turned down.....and depending on who else might score him, his inside width could be another 3".....

Awesome deer man. Was hoping he would give you a chance. Deer has tons of character. I just picked up a deer head the other day with similar drop/beam tips although not near that length. I'm still questioning whether they are drops or not.

Incredible the way it turned out with you posting about him for months and finally nailing him with your bow. Congrats!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back