Rinella article.. CUT AND PASTED

"right to hunt"
I hate that phrase. What if you don't have a single tag next season? Or for the next 10 seasons, because there were so many people who applied? Do you still have the "right to hunt" for the next 10 years?? No. So the direction things are headed with so much more interest in hunting, there will be limited opportunities. You and I, and many other hunters will slowly lose their "right" to hunt in a round about way. So, sure keep supporting the youtubers, and hunting propaganda and "recruitment" efforts and ignore the outcome. I'm not saying to cut off the number of hunters that try it out each year. I'm saying quit selling hunting and yelling it from the rooftops and calling it good for the sport and tradition of hunting.
I wonder...if your Legislature suddenly listened to PETA and shut down hunting in your state, would you start screaming that it is your right to hunt?

I know you would like to be the only one out there, but that's selfish. I only got into hunting 7 years ago. Nobody would help me because everyone wants to "keep their honey holes a secret" (ironically it's public land I DO have a RIGHT to use) and because hunting is a clique. Since no one would help me out, I turned to Randy Newberg, The Meateater and YouTube to figure out how to do it. Now I hunt alone and enjoy being successful all on my own. And I thank them because it has enriched my life (and freezer) beyond expectations. Also, I've killed my fair share (elk, deer, pronghorn, turkeys, pheasants, and coyotes) even though there are "too many hunters." I'm just glad that people like you couldn't keep me from hunting. Social media isn't going anywhere. It's the reality we live in.

One last thought; I'm sure you would prefer if hunter numbers were lower. Sure, it benefits you in the short term. But the more society is disconnected from hunting and trapping, the easier it is for anti-hunting groups to persuade people that hunting and trapping should be stopped. So you have the choice of spreading the word, bringing more hunters in and sharing or having hunting taken away. Hunter numbers won't matter if they take away your right to hunt.

I wonder...if your Legislature suddenly listened to PETA and shut down hunting in your state, would you start screaming that it is your right to hunt?

I know you would like to be the only one out there, but that's selfish. I only got into hunting 7 years ago. Nobody would help me because everyone wants to "keep their honey holes a secret" (ironically it's public land I DO have a RIGHT to use) and because hunting is a clique. Since no one would help me out, I turned to Randy Newberg, The Meateater and YouTube to figure out how to do it. Now I hunt alone and enjoy being successful all on my own. And I thank them because it has enriched my life (and freezer) beyond expectations. Also, I've killed my fair share (elk, deer, pronghorn, turkeys, pheasants, and coyotes) even though there are "too many hunters." I'm just glad that people like you couldn't keep me from hunting. Social media isn't going anywhere. It's the reality we live in.

One last thought; I'm sure you would prefer if hunter numbers were lower. Sure, it benefits you in the short term. But the more society is disconnected from hunting and trapping, the easier it is for anti-hunting groups to persuade people that hunting and trapping should be stopped. So you have the choice of spreading the word, bringing more hunters in and sharing or having hunting taken away. Hunter numbers won't matter if they take away your right to hunt.
7 years ago? a clique? Randy Newberg? Youtube? you don't understand.

I shot a 7 point bull this year, scored 337. Shot a 6 point the last 5 years in a row. I could easily say, who the hell cares 🤷‍♂️ about how many influencers and new hunters are popping, it hasn't affected my success. Not the point. I see the writing on the wall for my grandkids: decreased opportunity to experience what I have. And yes, that is selfish. I care more about myself and my posterity than I care about you, and I would imagine you feel the same. But you know who doesn't give a damn about either of us and our opportunities???? Your newberg and meateater role models.

And the idea that "social media isn't going anywhere" is only really saying that you don't want it going anywhere. I understand that its not going anywhere, but hunters can be a strong influence in the decrease in hunting propaganda, gear, and subscriptions that are pushed through social media. And stop with the garbage about how hunting is on the verge of extinction without "spreading the word". Why do people keep saying that??? Especially you, if you've only started hunting 7 years ago. They're buzz words that you've been brainwashed with by folks who take your $$

Listening to the podcast some thoughts:

Disincentivize people who are hunting for the wrong reason: We police motives now?

Draw systems being proof of too many hunters: There have been permit systems since the NA model started. Actually we started with permits, then after herds grew we went to OTC, if anything permit systems are the norm. Not to mention the whole MSG... trophy animals etc.

Crowding at trails: Ok... though sometimes huge areas are accessed by one trailhead, kinda depends... so maybe.

There is no reason to share a picture with anyone you don't know: This discussion struck a chord with me. One of my best friends was diagnosed with cancer recently. Didn't share it with hardly anyone. I didn't know until after chemo. Conversely my aunt had a very active social media with her fight and shared everything. I think there is a spectrum of human communication, need to be understood, etc. I don't think you can boil it all down to narcissism/desire to exploit/ego/money. I don't think "I hate extroverts" is a good argument against sharing hunting stories.

There is no reason to share a picture with anyone you don't know: This discussion struck a chord with me. One of my best friends was diagnosed with cancer recently. Didn't share it with hardly anyone. I didn't know until after chemo. Conversely my aunt had a very active social media with her fight and shared everything. I think there is a spectrum of human communication, need to be understood, etc. I don't think you can boil it all down to narcissism/desire to exploit/ego/money. I don't think "I hate extroverts" is a good argument against sharing hunting stories.
To be fair, he specifically said numerous people had told him they posted to 1) brag 2) make money.

Those seem outside of your spectrum.

7 years ago? a clique? Randy Newberg? Youtube? you don't understand.

I shot a 7 point bull this year, scored 337. Shot a 6 point the last 5 years in a row. I could easily say, who the hell cares 🤷‍♂️ about how many influencers and new hunters are popping, it hasn't affected my success. Not the point. I see the writing on the wall for my grandkids: decreased opportunity to experience what I have. And yes, that is selfish. I care more about myself and my posterity than I care about you, and I would imagine you feel the same. But you know who doesn't give a damn about either of us and our opportunities???? Your newberg and meateater role models.

And the idea that "social media isn't going anywhere" is only really saying that you don't want it going anywhere. I understand that its not going anywhere, but hunters can be a strong influence in the decrease in hunting propaganda, gear, and subscriptions that are pushed through social media. And stop with the garbage about how hunting is on the verge of extinction without "spreading the word". Why do people keep saying that??? Especially you, if you've only started hunting 7 years ago. They're buzz words that you've been brainwashed with by folks who take your $$
I'm getting some serious deja vu but I just cannot place it. Do you like crossfit? Pursuing mountains?

To be fair, he specifically said numerous people had told him they posted to 1) brag 2) make money.

Those seem outside of your spectrum.

That’s fair, though he did say anyone who and his examples were jaded industry folks.

I mean half the proskiers out there would probably say the same thing.

Not a lot of true team pup&suds folks out there.

I have less the Janis and Steve of the worlds in mind and more the folks on here, Fb, insta; I don’t get the since that hunting wife posts sharpie pics for the reasons Matt enumerated.

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s fair, though he did say anyone who and his examples were jaded industry folks.

I mean half the proskiers out there would probably say the same thing.

Not a lot of true team pup&suds folks out there.

I have less the Janis and Steve of the worlds in mind and more the folks on here, Fb, insta, I don’t get the since that hunting wife posts sharpie pics for the reasons Matt enumerated.
100% agree.

I don't know if Matt would have an issue if social media was still just a bunch of .edu accounts sharing pics of keg stands and writing on drunk people's faces, with the occasional grip and grin of a deer.

Looking back on what I've said earlier on this topic. I'm retracting my previous opinions. My thoughts are slowly changing and I'm feeling less and less like I agree with Matt on many of these thoughts. I've come to the conclusion that some are great for hunting and some are terrible. We ultimately have the choice whom we give attention too. But eating our own is not the answer imo.

Yea I'm a flip flopper and I'm fine with that

They probably did. But what matters is that they had that gut reaction of seeing something and not liking it. I was there to explain the photo and use it as a talking point. Had they just seen the photo without a reasonable way to get the extra context, that potentially would have been a net negative for the image of hunting. It showed me that even reasonable, open-minded people can interpret things much differently than I do. This is especially true for visual formats like Instagram where the image intentionally takes priority over any captions providing explanation.

This made me rethink how I want to show my hunting activity. Lots of nonhunters don't have the same background and context that we do. From that point on I decided that if I was going to post hunting content, I was going to do it in a way that provides more context than just a grip and grin.
I agree that showing more of the process of the hunt is great. I enjoy those pictures of others people's hunts and definitely enjoy looking back on my own photos that aren't just dead stuff. I do tend to get defensive of hunting when the hypocrisy is so blatant, however. I think there is a difference in not personally wanting to hunt versus showing disdain for those that do, especially while at the same time eating store-bought meat. To be fair, I do think that once people have gotten to the point where they will show shock and disgust at hunting and then eat meat within the next few minutes, they are probably not worth debating with. Simple logic is often worthless at that point, but everyone has a right to their opinion. Your method was probably better because I would have jumped to:

"The bird on the table that we are about to eat lived its life in a little cage for the sole purpose of killing. It never experienced a minute of freedom. The bird in the picture that I also ate spent its time flying between three different countries every year just living its life."

But I tend to be more confrontational than some and this doesn't always help with interpersonal relationships.... with those who are friends, coworkers, or as Ron Swanson would say, "workplace proximity associates" who are openly against hunting. I also know that I'd probably tone it down in front of a significant other's parents, at least before tying the knot 🙂...so good call on that.

As far as my overall feelings on the article, I struggle with it.

When I look at my motives for wanting to agree with Matt, they are all selfish. More tags, easier odds, less competition. All of those would be great, but I am just not to the point where I want to try to do things to keep people from hunting. As a kid I was kind of a hunting evangelist and still feel that way. I love taking new people hunting and helping them get started ...so Matt would say I am the problem.

Thankfully I do what I do for my own reasons and don't need someone who is familiar to people solely because of social media telling me how evil social media is.

I feel like there's enough hypocrisy in Matt's arguments that I bet Steve takes him to task every opportunity he gets.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T_allen7
Back