Right handed, left eyed

RyeGuy74

Hey,
I bought a bow awhile ago and I didn't think it would be a huge deal that I'm right handed but left eyed. Turns out it affected me a lot more than I thought it would. Does anyone have any advice or tips to make it work? Or does it just take a lot of practice and time with this setup to make it feel right and comfortable to shoot this way? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Start with closing it, and slowly work back to squinting it slightly open, then half open, then 3/4 open, then fully open. When the right eye is more clear and pulling in more light it’ll become dominant and after a while it’s habitual when you look thru that peep your right eye automatically takes dominance.

I’m left eye dominant, it only took a couple weeks to overcome it.

Start with closing it, and slowly work back to squinting it slightly open, then half open, then 3/4 open, then fully open. When the right eye is more clear and pulling in more light it’ll become dominant and after a while it’s habitual when you look thru that peep your right eye automatically takes dominance.

I’m left eye dominant, it only took a couple weeks to overcome it.
Yep that's what I did. I started doing that when I first got into archery as a kid and now it just automatically happens when I shoot.

never had any issue with it I do shoot a bow well not bragging, Im very left handed shoot a gun that way but shoot a right handed bow yup im a mess but do both well so it shouldnt be an issue once you get used to it

I am the same as you. However I was stubborn and went righty when I first started bow hunting because it felt better pulling a bow back.
However I always felt odd because I had to consciously make an effort to remember to close the correct eye when I drew back and aimed.
After two years of shooting righty I took a leap of faith and went lefty. It was odd at first, but was the best move I ever made.

Everything feels so natural and smooth. I shoot lights out now and I will never go back!
Tighter groups, more dead animals....

I am left eye dominant and shoot a bow right handed. Never had any problem. My anchor point is a little different than most and my peep is set a little different, other than that. Never had a problem. Been bow hunting for 16 years this way.

I am left eye dominant and right handed. I shot right for years but after I switched to left and got the form down again I was a much better shot.

Right handed but left eye dominant as well. New to Archery tried both left and right handed bows before purchasing. Just couldn’t get comfortable right handed. My eye sight is just way too left side dominant. I love my new Bow, down the rabbit hole I go. Obsessed

After years shooting righty, i made the switch only a couple months ago. Man what a difference! Keeping both eyes open feels really natural. Also i'm now holding the bow in my dominant, fine motor skill hand. Seems easier to hold on target once you get your weak arm built up to the weight. I wonder if it's actually a blessing to be cross-dominant. Re-establishing an consistent anchor is a challenge though...

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back