Rifled slug gun recommendation for MA?

What can I say....I bought my 1st Moss 500 when I was 13 and if it were not for the fact that it was stolen, I have no doubt I'd still be using the same gun today. So, I bought another one. 52 years with the same model shotgun speaks enough for me. Rifled slug barrels are very reasonable. 12 or 20 ga makes no difference in my mind. That's a BIG hole, either way.

When I got back from Desert Shield/Storm deployment I was stationed on a base that only allowed shotguns, w/slugs. 3 shots....3 bucks, with the 20 ga.

Consider buying a muzzleloader that is high quality and use it for shotgun season as well as Mzl season.

Thanks everyone. Overwhelming response and I sincerely appreciate the help.

I had not considered a muzzleloader... I'm a bow guy and am unfamiliar with most firearms.

But someone said they have more range and are more accurate than shotguns? I had no idea. Is this correct? I thought they were inferior to shotguns?

Seems like a no brainer then if you can use a single muzzleloader during both shotgun and muzzleloader season in MA. I didnt know this.

What about other factors like recoil, upfront cost, maintenance, easy of use etc? How does that compare to a shotgun?

Obviously a lot more to read now that you guys have opened a can of worms haha. Onto the muzzleloader research. Thanks folks.

You can't go wrong with a slug version 870. Affordable and super reliable. The muzzleloader route is also a smart choice as well.

When I was living/hunting in Ohio ( prior to the straight wall rifle introduction) I used a Benelli M190 slug version and a M190 smoothbore version. I was duckhunting alot back then and carried the Benelli all the time and since I had more money than sense, I bought a slug version. Oh those were the days.... before marriage and kids.

That was my other top choice, the Rem 870. But I figured loading it using the pump action would make too much noise when a deer approaches. The Savage 220 uses a bolt for quieter loading no?

I live in MA. That Savage 220 is a TACK DRIVER...you will not be disappointed with it. As for slugs...you can't find crap right now. However, right in the Savage owners manual it suggests you use Remington Accu-Tip sabot slugs. Mine shoots 2 3/4" Accutips into a nice 1-1.5" group at 100yds.

As someone suggested, did you ever consider a muzzleloader? I had no idea you could use them during shotgun season. Any reason you went with a shotgun over a muzzleloader?

The pros of a shotgun are follow up shots. You get one bang with a muzzleloader and that is it. Also, maintenance is easier on a shotgun. When you are done for the night, you unload it and you are ready to go for the next day. Also, versatility plays both ways. You have the muzzleloader season for the ML and you have a myriad of uses for a shotgun. I would research energy available at 150 and 200 yards before deciding if either is capable at that distance. Just because it is accurate, doesnt mean it has the energy to get the job done. That will be load specific.

I've never enquired about it, but the fact that there are two separate seasons for these weapons in MA, I would think that you aren't able to use muzzleloader during shotgun season. Obviously you can use archery during all seasons even though there is a separate season for that, but the regulations explicitly say you can use archery for all seasons whereas it doesnt say that for muzzleloader relative to shotgun season. I'd be interested to know if you hear that you can use muzzleloader during shotgun season.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201112-171627_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201112-171627_Chrome.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20201112-172151_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201112-172151_Chrome.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 5
Savage 220 for me, with good confidence to 175 with the Cabelas cheapo scope combo. I wasn’t sure if I’d like the Accutriger arrangement, but the target paper results are nice.

I purchased it because the landowner wants shotgun or archery gear only to deer hunt.

I've owned probably close to 15 different slug guns and they all have their pros and cons. A lot of guys have recommended the savage 220. I've owned 2 of these. Although they are accurate, the bolts on these guns are very sticky and if you don't use the bolt with some authority, the empty has a tendency on occasion to land back in the chamber turning your slug gun into a single shot. This gun may be fine for stationary shooting but if you are a mobile hunter doing deer drives, I think there are better options out there.

Here is what I've owned with pros and cons:

Winchester SX2 w/ cantilever barrel. You can shoot the SX3 without a scope. The sights are good but the gun in 12 gauge is very heavy.

Benelli M2 in 20. Great accuracy but because this is an inertia gun, mounting a rather heavy scope caused ejection issues for me. Took the scope off and ejection was fine. If I wanted to use that scope I would have had to step up to 3" shells.

Remington 870, Winchester 1300, Winchester Buck/Tom, Mossberg 835. All pump guns and although accurate enough, they were all fairly light and kicked pretty hard at the bench.

Ithaca deer slayer II in 20. Great accuracy. The barrel is pinned to the receiver. The sights are fiber optic and are awesome for low light conditions. Forearm rattles a bit so it's not the stealthiest gun. Has bottom eject for left or right shooters. This one has been my favorite so far.

I've also owned a Browning silver in 20, an 1187 with open sights, a sx pump in 20 and 5 different muzzleloaders. Because of the need to clean a muzzleloader the same day it's discharged to prevent rust, I found them to be a pain in the butt when I would get home or back to camp and it's late (the last thing I wanted to do was to clean a gun after a hard days hunt).

Good luck with your decision.

Consider buying a muzzleloader that is high quality and use it for shotgun season as well as Mzl season.
This is my plan as well, got a 209 conversion kit for my Knight muzzy and plan on giving it a try, it’s nice to have follow up shots though...

So, the question is what is your hunting strategy? If stand hunting non driven deer a muzzy is fine medicine. If however you are hunting driven deer, especially in the woods, multiple shot ability shines.

Don't get caught up in make and model, your budget and taste will drive this decision. What is imperative is purchasing a rifled barrel and finding the ammo it prefers (with the caveat that trigger pull sure makes a difference in longer shots). I have Mossberg 500's my kids grew up shooting (20 G), 870 & 1100 and Benelli M1, all rifled and more than capable at hitting 9" plates at 100 yds.

Shooting off a bench is fine sighting in and determining a guns ability....but what's really important is your ability to hit the target when in the bush, hence, my statement above hitting a 9" plate at 100 yds offhand.

In my experience, most shots are under 100 yards. And, if hunting public ground and or driven deer the ability to hit running game comes into play. So, if scoped, keep it on low power settings unless the opportunity provides otherwise.

Your comment concerning pump vs bolt and loading noise spooking deer doesn't compute. You will be hunting in the east, not a lot of spot and stalk. I would suggest you have a round chambered when hunting, shot opportunities often happen fast.

Good luck and have fun.

By the way, if funds allow, buy both a muzzy and shotgun...more is better.

Last edited:
I 2nd the Benelli M2. If you want a gun with multiple shot capabilities, Benelli is the way to go. either the M2 or SBE 2. I currently own the M2 20 gauge.

I love my savage 220, it’s taken so many weapons restrictions whitetail does and a few decent bucks too that I even named it Mjolnir- Hammer of Thor. It certainly hits like a ton of bricks and extremely accurate.

Attachments

• E3ED38D9-0B5B-430D-82C8-E05A5F3D3A59.jpeg
    E3ED38D9-0B5B-430D-82C8-E05A5F3D3A59.jpeg
    317.3 KB · Views: 3
I've owned probably close to 15 different slug guns and they all have their pros and cons. A lot of guys have recommended the savage 220. I've owned 2 of these. Although they are accurate, the bolts on these guns are very sticky and if you don't use the bolt with some authority, the empty has a tendency on occasion to land back in the chamber turning your slug gun into a single shot.

I concur on the lack of smoothness of the bolt on my Savage. Making sure that the moving parts were well lubricated and simply working the bolt multiple times have improved the movement into the barely acceptable category. I think it well continue to improve with more function, but will never get to buttery smooth.

In indiana we had to use shot guns or muzzleloaders till a few years ago when the started letting rifles. I would really look at a good muzzleloader, I use a knight but if you want a shotgun I'd look at an Ithaca deer slayer but I always go with the muzzleloader over the slug gun any time.

I don’t know much about muzzleloaders. Never even handled one.

Do they make any that use cartridges or that you can load like a normal rifle. I saw a YouTube vid with a model that accepted cartridges vs pouring powder.

MZs just seem so complicated vs a shotgun, but it’s probably because of inexperience. How do you unload the MZ at the end of the day if you didn’t fire your shot?

also, someone asked about hunting conditions. This is northeast tree stand hunting, deep woods, thick brush, maybe 60 yards max shots.

I don’t know much about muzzleloaders. Never even handled one.

Do they make any that use cartridges or that you can load like a normal rifle. I saw a YouTube vid with a model that accepted cartridges vs pouring powder.

MZs just seem so complicated vs a shotgun, but it’s probably because of inexperience. How do you unload the MZ at the end of the day if you didn’t fire your shot?

also, someone asked about hunting conditions. This is northeast tree stand hunting, deep woods, thick brush, maybe 60 yards max shots.

I unload mine at the end of the season if I don’t take a shot, you can “unload it” by removing the cap from the breech. You can remove the ball and powder by disassembling the breech, this process is easier on some guns than others, but it’s not terrible on any model. You can also shoot it...

When I was in NJ the Savage 220 was a popular choice, usually combined with Lightfield slugs.
To the OP, he's right, I live in NJ, the garbage state, and the Savage 220 is hard to find on the LGS shelfs. A good friend of mine has one and using Lightfield slugs and or the Hornady slugs this is a very accurate slug gun to 200 yards, possibly more ,( we've only been able to test it to 200yds ). Last season I watched my friend take a really nice 10-pointer, (a 5x5, for all you Westerners), at 180yds no problem. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back