Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Rifled slug gun recommendation for MA?

mummel

MA allows hunters to use rifled slug guns up to 10 gauge during shotgun season. Can someone please point me in the right direction for which models to look at.

What are you top 5 rifled slug guns for northeast whitetails? I'd like to scope the shotgun too if that matters.

Cabelas sells a Savage 220 XP Bolt-Action Slug Shotgun with Scope Combo for ~$600. Not many reviews though...

What are your go-to models for this category.

Thanks all.

Last edited:
Agree with the muzzleloader advice above. If that’s not an option, I’d buy a rifled barrel for the shotgun you have and see what ammo it prefers. I’ve killed a bunch of deer with the Winchester BRI sabots out of a Remington 870 with a rifled barrel topped with a 4x Leupold. It shoots 2-3 inches at 100 yds and that’s more than good enough for anywhere I’ve ever slug hunted.

When I was in NJ the Savage 220 was a popular choice, usually combined with Lightfield slugs.

Have a couple for here in Illinois, an 1100 Special Field with the Remington slug barrel and a New England Arms single shot heavy barrel. Both are 12ga and both good to 150 yards.
Also have a Remington 700 ML in the safe that doesn’t get used much. Looking for a breech plug that’ll work with BH209.

Have a couple for here in Illinois, an 1100 Special Field with the Remington slug barrel and a New England Arms single shot heavy barrel. Both are 12ga and both good to 150 yards.
Also have a Remington 700 ML in the safe that doesn’t get used much. Looking for a breech plug that’ll work with BH209.
Try poking around the internet for that R700ML 209 conversion kit and you will find some still available. I have the same gun and also considered making the switch to 209s. I ended up putting that money into a new CVA Accura instead.

The Remington 870 combo with the interchangeable smooth bore and rifled barrels has worked well for me, a firearm suitable for both turkey and deer season

Savage 220 is supposed to be one of the better dedicated slug guns out there right now...if you can find one.

Of course the Rem 870 with a slug barrel is good. I have a Mossberg 835 slug gun that does just fine with BPI sabots that I load myself.

Having lived in New York most of my life and especially when NY was shotgun only where I hunted I would recommend my favorites as (all 12 guage):
1. Ithaca Deerslayer (original or II)
2. Mossberg 500 (killed a ton of deer with this)
3. Remington 870 with the cantilever scope mount.

As far as optics go in the Northeast a scope of 3-9 power or preferably 1.5-4 power as it is thick in those woods. I have also used red dots with pretty good results.

The muzzleloader suggestion above is also a really good one.

The Savage 220 is good and accurate. If you want a pump or semiauto, then you need to find one that comes with a rifled barrel or buy one that fits. You will then use sabot slugs. Find the flavor of slugs your gun likes and away you go!

We have 3 Beretta 390s with Hastings barrels that are tack drivers. my kids shoot Browning or Winchesters with OEM barrels that shoot almost as good. All with cantilever mounts. If you get a cantilever mount, the gun itself is fairly irrelevant in terms of accuracy. Personal preference on the gun, but i prefer a semi auto for target reacquisition given the fairly hard recoil of shotgun shooting slugs. Also, I have had much better accuracy using 2 3/4 shells. all but the winchester prefer Federal Trophy Copper. 150 yards is easily doable.

I live in MA. That Savage 220 is a TACK DRIVER...you will not be disappointed with it. As for slugs...you can't find crap right now. However, right in the Savage owners manual it suggests you use Remington Accu-Tip sabot slugs. Mine shoots 2 3/4" Accutips into a nice 1-1.5" group at 100yds.

Illinois is a shotgun slug state. I used a Remington 1187 semi-auto with a cantilevered slug barrel and 3X9 scope. I shot sabot slugs in it and it was very, very, accurate! Shoot them in the neck and drop them accurate. However, even with 2 3/4" slugs the recoil was tough. I have since changed over to a .50 cal. muzzleloader and haven't looked back. Be sure to check with your state regs if that is legal or not.

You can't go wrong with a slug version 870. Affordable and super reliable. The muzzleloader route is also a smart choice as well.

When I was living/hunting in Ohio ( prior to the straight wall rifle introduction) I used a Benelli M190 slug version and a M190 smoothbore version. I was duckhunting alot back then and carried the Benelli all the time and since I had more money than sense, I bought a slug version. Oh those were the days.... before marriage and kids.

You can't go wrong with a slug version 870. Affordable and super reliable. The muzzleloader route is also a smart choice as well.

When I was living/hunting in Ohio ( prior to the straight wall rifle introduction) I used a Benelli M190 slug version and a M190 smoothbore version. I was duckhunting alot back then and carried the Benelli all the time and since I had more money than sense, I bought a slug version. Oh those were the days.... before marriage and kids.
I remember those as well, not that I have any more sense now just a lot less money.

I have a Browning BPS that I put a Hastings barrel. If you can withstand the kick its a lights out shooter with some Hornady SST's otherwise I would probably go the muzzleloader route

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back