Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Results 2012...warning pict. heavy

Great story and an excellent ram. That hike will test your strength. So did you head back in to find another one???:D

The tent is a Big Agnes Fly creek 3. One of the lightest tents you can buy. Some of the downsides are that it is really thin and you need to be careful where you put it. Last year we had one night of wicked wind 60+ mph and it ended up folding and bent my poles.

Miller: When we got to the first campspot and found that the wind was blowing like last year we opted for the ground just laying on the footprint and pulling the fly over us. It just flapped all night.

Zach: I forgot to color coordinate on this one and my handle is still lame ;) Just trying to get my man card still.;):D

Spitz: sitting here now I'm wishing I could go back. Beings this was my fifth time and third in the same general area I knew what it would take to get a sheep out. In hindsight and in the future a pack that allowed you to load the meat between the frame and bag would of been the best option. You would have the normal 80+ lbs of meat, cape and head but then you could wittle your food down to nothing and just pack out your sleeping bag, tent and clothes. Maybe another 20 lbs. I feel I could carry 100+ pounds for a ways and if we would of had this option we could of just walked 4 hours one day with that load and finish out the pack the next day. I feel that would be the best option. I just couldn't imagine turning around and going back in another 6-7 hours and then doing it again. I'm physically a wuss i guess but i just wasn't in condition to do it. So yea I'm having some regrets but i think I've found a solution with a different pack set up. A lot of it depends on the days left in the hunt. Do you really have enough time to get it out and still catch you plane home to the states.

Shoots: My feet did great till the pack out. The last 2 miles are water over the boots and there's no getting around it. Your feet are sloshing around and I got hot spots on my big toe and ball of foot. All things considered my best feeling hunt so far as feet are concerned.

Papa Zulu: We didn't even get a tape on it. I'm guessing more in the 34-35 range. I'll give my bro a call and see.

Thanks for the kind words guys. Wish you all could do one of these hunts. Was looking down on an outfitters camp one day and thought. Man some guy is shelling out 16,500 for the same hunt (he's eating better for sure) but I'm sure lucky for this opportunity I have to do it for $500. Lesson is: Hope your sons or daughters move up that way so you can partake in all Alaska has to offer.

Lawnboy,
Do you know which outfitter it was? Im curious because I heard of a few that have been greedy as of late. Taking as many sheep hunters as possible.

I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a double facing a 7 hour walk out. Its not that bad. Take A LOT of breaks and drink some monster rehab's when you get back to the truck.

That looks like a completely awesome trip. Congrats to your bro on a great ram and to both of you on a fun adventure!

Nice job on a great ram and a tough hunt!

Next year it's your turn. Man, you're better at showing restraint than me, I would have a tough time passing up a legal sheep.

Guess you're just that much smarter cause I'd probably still be there.

Can I adopt your bro for a year?

Congrats, love those sheep hunts!

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otto247
Back