Resident vs non resident points

nlar

Here's my situation: My wife and I will be moving to the Star Valley, Wyoming area in the next two years. Will my preference points as a nonresident transfer over when I become a resident, I already have one antelope point and I will be buying a elk point shortly. After researching the deer tag I don't think it is worth it to purchase points to hunt region H or G because it will take more points then it will the amount of time it takes me to move out and become a resident. My plan is to get my nonresident general elk tag with 2-3 points so I can at least hunt when I get out there that fall(I will be moving out there during the summer, I know I have to be there a year to be a resident) and by the time the following summer rolls around I will be a resident and can buy a OTC tag for deer. Am I figuring this out right????

Here's my situation: My wife and I will be moving to the Star Valley, Wyoming area in the next two years. Will my preference points as a nonresident transfer over when I become a resident, I already have one antelope point and I will be buying a elk point shortly. After researching the deer tag I don't think it is worth it to purchase points to hunt region H or G because it will take more points then it will the amount of time it takes me to move out and become a resident. My plan is to get my nonresident general elk tag with 2-3 points so I can at least hunt when I get out there that fall(I will be moving out there during the summer, I know I have to be there a year to be a resident) and by the time the following summer rolls around I will be a resident and can buy a OTC tag for deer. Am I figuring this out right????

There is not a point system for residents in Wyoming.

So, I don't know what happens to the points other than you cannot use them.

It would be wise to go the general elk tag route.

I don't know if I would buy pronghorn points unless you have a unit in mind with 2-3 points.

There is not a point system for residents in Wyoming.

So, I don't know what happens to the points other than you cannot use them.

It would be wise to go the general elk tag route.

I don't know if I would buy pronghorn points unless you have a unit in mind with 2-3 points.

This is a lot more confusing for me than the Iowa game regs, so as a resident if you want to hunt a trophy unit you just enter a draw without any preference points? Same for antelope if you wanted to hunt the red desert?

This is a lot more confusing for me than the Iowa game regs, so as a resident if you want to hunt a trophy unit you just enter a draw without any preference points? Same for antelope if you wanted to hunt the red desert?

Correct. There is no point system for residents for deer, elk and antelope. It is a 100% random draw every year. Sooooo, either burn your points before you move there or else they will basically just expire and be worthless.

Thanks Flatrock, I understand that now. So I won't buy any preference points for anything other than Elk so I can hunt the first year I am there. I drew a gen elk tag last year with one point so I should draw with two unless something changes.

If you had pp for Moose or sheep they transfer with you. I might actually have to move back someday for them to be useful.

I was just in your same shoes. I spent 9 elk points and 10 deer points on this years draws. Luckily I was able to draw tags and not just lose them. I hope it was a wise decision as I could have waited till August and bought general tags but I wanted to try some LQ areas.

Good luck in your decisions

Once you establish residency you will see the big advantage here in Wyoming. General tags and you can hunt both archery and rifle seasons if your tag is unfilled. Some drawings have harder tags to draw like resident bighorn sheep and moose but prices will be much easier to digest.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NTSS
Back