Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Non-resident Idaho tag frenzy

I've made this point before. But I've gone 3 years without seeing a legal critter in WA. Now I'm no JLS, a dude who consistently gets in done in WA. But it really could get a lot, and I mean A LOT worse in many of these western destination states before it wouldn't be worth it.

Also in our elk unit in ID (you know the one we could hunt before this CF waiting room BS), we were the only ones walking on the non-motorized trail all the crusty residents were bombing around on some form of atv.

Ah I see your perspective.

I worked in law enforcement. Yes I've pulled people over for speeding. Yes I've let people off for minor stuff. I've also felt completely fine handing over a citation for excess. And YES! since I've switched careers I have cited people as a citizen. You know you can do that right? You have every right to interrupt a violation or personally charge the violation.

If I see a 3 year old grabbing a candy bar in a store I mention it. Unintentional happens.

This was 8 adults filling their pockets in a store and me calling them out on the store loudly. You're the type to stand back and make a phone call. That's ok. Really. Somebody else will take care of it.

Don't blame me for being the guy to point it out when it happens.
🤔

I spoke with a few other NR hunters in ID this year. I was told more than once that the outfitter that they drop camp in with just has all their guides and relatives go stand in line and buy their clients tags over the counter. Not even using the allotted outfitter tags. It certainly seems like this should not be legal.

I personally don’t “have” to kill anything but I enjoy coming out west to hunt or be a part of a hunt. If anyone wants to come to my home state and fill their 3-5 deer tags then have at it. I can possibly even provide a spot that is less than 247 yards from the road.
The roadkill truck was stacked higher than the cab yesterday. Not gonna hear a complaint out of me if someone wants to try and fill tags that they paid for that the wildlife commission made available.
I’m glad that you are more selective, just funny to see all these serious hunters who have full freezers getting grip and grins with forkies since they couldn’t handle eating a tag…

I spoke with a few other NR hunters in ID this year. I was told more than once that the outfitter that they drop camp in with just has all their guides and relatives go stand in line and buy their clients tags over the counter. Not even using the allotted outfitter tags. It certainly seems like this should not be legal.
It doesn’t work that way.

View attachment 297653

I didn’t read this whole thread but can agree that many people have no respect for the law anymore in this country. Happy hunting, TheGrayRider.
100% confident that every one of those holes was from a resident. I'll double down and say that they were from the same one or two inbred shooters

As a NR that hunts multiple states , including idaho. I'd like to see outfitter tags eliminated or reduced by 90% and the prices for said tags increased 4-500%.MINIMUM.
I'm fine with Idaho's NR pricing on licensing and tags but the "outfitters/guides" have completely gone overboard. It's almost like IDFG has incorporated a hybrid Utah/Wyoming policy and only want the money.
And no ATV or SxS for "hunting" Period.

I personally don’t “have” to kill anything but I enjoy coming out west to hunt or be a part of a hunt. If anyone wants to come to my home state and fill their 3-5 deer tags then have at it. I can possibly even provide a spot that is less than 247 yards from the road.
The roadkill truck was stacked higher than the cab yesterday. Not gonna hear a complaint out of me if someone wants to try and fill tags that they paid for that the wildlife commission made available.
Abundance mentality right there! Not sure why in the land of the free, some feel that they have exclusive rights to public land hunting. Granted, if people are doing stupid stuff, that's not cool... but the part of the vibe here seems that NR's are not welcome?

Honest question then, how is it supposed to work and how do non-residents battle these outfitters doing the above?
Outfitters are allocated tags, they don’t wait in line to buy tags for clients.

I’m not sure why you think you need to battle them. You’re problem getting tags is other non-residents, not outfitters.

Last edited:

I’m not sure why you think you need to battle them. You’re problem getting tags is other non-residents, not outfitters.
Outfitters don’t necessarily know the allocation they will get on December 1 the allocation is set later by the outfitters licensing board is my understanding. They are absolutely have clients but tags out of the general tag pool and then often finding/booking more clients later when the allocation is set. It’s also one of the reasons that tags will pop back up later when the allocations aren’t used

My understanding of talking to their clients is that the outfitters stand in line on behalf of the non resident clients to buy them tags out of the general pool on Dec 1. One of these guys told me that he had had a tag in that unit for 15 years straight. The other guy was 7 years straight. They flat out said they are not using outfitter allotted tags to do this.🤷

Outfitters don’t necessarily know the allocation they will get on December 1 the allocation is set later by the outfitters licensing board is my understanding. They are absolutely have clients but tags out of the general tag pool and then often finding/booking more clients later when the allocation is set. It’s also one of the reasons that tags will pop back up later when the allocations aren’t used
This is exactly what these 2 guys told on both occasions. These guys were not together in the same group and I spoke to them on separate days.

As a non-resident I used to be able to walk into the Cabela's in Post Falls ID in November and buy a tag on my way to deer camp. Started buying tags in February just because I knew I would be going again in November.

I understand the theory behind limits placed on Non-resident tags and to some extent agree with the concern however, wonder if it could have been done based on unit vs statewide.

Having hunted Idaho for long enough to remember when deer tags never sold out, I wonder if we will ever see those days again. I often wonder what has caused the virtual frenzy that is the 1 December sale. Where were all of the people 10 years ago when there were no caps on non-resident tags? Why in the past few years has it become such a crazy system?
So there seem to be any reissue tags that come out of Idaho I know I missed the Dec 1st purchase but can’t find anything on reissued tags

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back