Research tools

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Given our show is dependent upon me finding enough tags to film 10-12 episodes per year, I have a lot of time invested in researching hunts, units, draw processes, etc. I would say it takes up 10-15 hours per week during application season. I seem to be getting a flurry of messages asking how I do my research.

Here goes. Understand that part of my approach is just the experience of doing these apps since 1995, and the other part is winter boredom that drives a numbers person, such as a CPA, to do these statistical exercises for no useful reason.

In the past, I have subscribed to most every research tool that existed. Now, I am down to two of them. One for "tracking the herd," and one for doing in depth research.

The one I use for tracking the herd is Huntin' Fool. I haven't read a story in their magazine for years, merely flipping to the pages with recommended units, then crossing those units off my list of potential hunts. Not because they are bad recommendation, rather I am not a guy what wants to accumulate a lot of points. I want to hunt often and the units HF recommends usually take years of points.

HF does have a very good overview of how state processes work and any changes from the past year.

The HF drraw odd calculation are simplified to a point where they are of no value in any state with a point system. They do tell you that the odds are simple odds without regard to bonus points. I completely disregard the draw odds they post.

Given what I have at stake, the $100 annual fee for HF is worth it to know where the herd will be applying and to know of changes I might miss in my reading of the regs. I could probably figure out where the herd is applying by just looking at the odds each state posts.

The greatest value I get from HF is that it tells me when one of my researched units ends up on their list and blows my odds all to heck. That has happened way more than I like. Once it gets on their list, time for me to go back to the drawing board - odds are my point total will not get me the tag.

The best tool for serious research about odds, trends, and granular detail of resident v. non-resident apps, is Hunters Trailhead. I used to pay for the web service to provide it here, free to our members. Jon, the owner, tried to figure out a way we could keep it, but it was hard to justify that cost to a website that has never made a dime of profit.

Jon does offer a subscription for individuals. Right now, it is $24.95. I have always used his service and the $24.95 is by far, the best money I spend on researching hunts. tags, states.

If I had to decide between HF and Hunters Trailhead, I get more benefit out of HT than HF. And, it only costs 25% as much.

Yeah, this is a plug for Jon and his service. Not because I get anything for making the plug, other than to let people know it is a great service. You can sign up right here.

Hunters Trailhead --------> http://hunterstrailhead.com/

Like all things I use, if I did not think it was worth the money for the serious western hunter, I wouldn't be talking about it. And no, I don't get paid for writing this. I paid to renew my subscription last month. I tell you about it because I think it will help you draw more tags.

Just don't draw one of mine.

I've tried all the others and my comment would be - save your money. Curious if any of you other junkies have tools I might be missing out on.

Thanks for the tips Randy!! almost time to get buried in learning about units/odds/etc. again. :)

Too funny! I use HF for the same exact reasons. Once I realized 13,000 + people were all applying for the same units, I knew I was wasting my time and $$ applying there.

I read through the statistics from WY, CO, and NV trying to find the units that may have a tag for me with my points and dates open on my calendar. I apply other places but seem to spend the most time researching those states. The hours researching does pay off though as it seems like I always pull a tag somewhere besides Utah and have to hear my buddies say how "lucky" I get.

I haven't tried HT but will take a look as it sounds good. I thought I was the only nerd spending over 10 hours a week researching. Is there a support group for this addiction? A 12 step plan?

Thanks for the info and good luck to everyone with their apps.

I'm applying in only four states anymore, so I just crunch the numbers from each state website. I didn't renew my subscription to Huntin Fool last year or this year. I would say the most valuable tool of HF is the contact numbers of other members you get when you do draw. When you are applying in multiple states and do draw a couple of good tags in the same year, it is impossible to do two (or more) tags justice with the proper amount of pre-season scouting for most hunters (Big Fin excepted). Talking with other hunters that have actually had boots on the ground in a unit 10-13 hours from home is golden for me. Learning where the herd hunts, areas to avoid, good camp locations, road conditions, etc is huge IMO. Just knowing a good place to set camp can add an extra day of scouting on the front end. When I drive all night to get into the unit, the last thing I want to do is spend a day looking for a camp site. If all goes according to plan this year, I may drop one of the states I have applied in for many years because I will have drawn the last tag I can expect in my lifetime there and I will probably add a new state to the list. In that case, I will probably renew with HF next at the end of this year. The information I got from other HF subscribers was very high quality for my purposes and I have enjoyed returning the favor many times. I once helped a HF subscriber from Pennsylvania that drew a tag in AZ. He also had a tag in WY and CO and there was no way he would be in AZ prior to his hunt. He was familiar with the unit in CO and spent a week in WY scouting before his hunt. Where else can you get that kind of info on virtually every unit in every state? Definitely worth the price of admission if you are serious about hunting in multiple states.

Dumb question, but are you mostly looking at the straight draw percentages or are you factoring it in with other data (success % or other variables)? I'm just not sure what I should be doing for research beyond looking at draw %.

I have been looking at HF for a couple months, wondering if I wanted to spend $100 on it or not, especially since I am outfitting myself in new gear. I have been doing a lot of my own research, printing off odds, harvest, and hunter statistics. I have even done my own spreadsheets to figure out my own percentage draw odds for states that don't really supply those numbers. I definitely think I will be signing up for hunterstrailhead since it seems to provide information more along the lines of what I'm interested in. I plan on hunting something every year I can, so I'm not interested in once-in-a-lifetime type draws either. Thanks for the info Randy.

That is the EXACT strategy I use. Hunters Trailhead is an awesome resource.

I get the biggest smile everytime I look at my bull taken in AZ in a unit Huntin Fool said "Poor choice, do not apply"

:))

Steve20Osminski20elk20fix1.jpg

I will add Eastman's to the mix. I keep a subsription to both of their magazines and find their info a good blend between HF and HT. In years where I aleady have things planned out and am not counting on a draw, it allows me not to waste $100 on HF.

I have 8 years of HF mags in my basement....I didnt renew this year. The January issue is really the only one Id miss and they were kind enough to send it to me anyway :)

I paid for hunters trailhead last year, and I think I'm going to let it expire this year. He's not exactly Johnny on the spot about updating it, so I end up using the state sites more anyways. I've also never been able to get the hunt filter to work on the site, and the site won't work on my phone either.

Last edited:
HF does have a very good overview of how state processes work and any changes from the past year.

The HF drraw odd calculation are simplified to a point where they are of no value in any state with a point system. They do tell you that the odds are simple odds without regard to bonus points. I completely disregard the draw odds they post.

Jon does offer a subscription for individuals. Right now, it is $24.95. I have always used his service and the $24.95 is by far, the best money I spend on researching hunts. tags, states.

If I had to decide between HF and Hunters Trailhead, I get more benefit out of HT than HF. And, it only costs 25% as much.

Agreed. I just went with HF last year and their odds are a joke. When they don't include points for odds, not much to be gained. Obviously it is not that difficult since HT seems to do it very well and make it simple to compare units.

This year I have both. Next year it will just be hunterstrailhead.

I don't read the Fool stories either anymore. They seem to start out something like "After applying for 23 years" or "After placing a winning bid" and then go on to "After getting this once-in-a-lifetime tag, I solicited the assistance of $$$$$ outfitters".

I wish I didn't support Fool. It won't happen next year.

I knew that HF had a lot of members but damn, 15,000!!!

It makes sense I guess as they constantly have a "new member" drive.

I was a member of the HF herd for approx 15 years before converting to Randy's exact strategy about 4 years ago.

I feel some states are not affected by the HF herd as much as others, due to the low number of quality managed units. In some states I know I have a big advantage avoiding their recommendations. I am up to as many as 18 points in some states and as I burn these, I am actually enjoying shopping through and targeting the lesser demand units. I have found a few gems that are grossly overlooked by both HF & EJ. The units don't even show up on their charts! Took a 330" bull from one two years ago. A few I have hunted were actually better than ranked units in my opinion, where I'd hunted both. Just renewed my HF to plug it in to my application recipe.

I also like using GIS data and Google Earth for doing research. The USFS has some information already in Google Earth format showing land ownership, trails, roads, etc. I also will pull shape files from various sites for land ownership, unit boundaries, etc. I use QGIS and convert these into Google Earth format (since I like to use GE). This allows you to view land status for states where it is not already readily available in GE format. There are probably easier ways of doing it, but that is what I have done with success. It makes it nice for determining how much public land is available in a unit as well as looking at what the land looks like from aerial imagery.

Google earth is great, but for the most part I use Bing maps, they seem to currently have higher res photos. Since the aerial photos for both services are always being updated at different frequencies, I have gotten a quite a bit of use out of this web app that compares both side by side. It's pretty cool, and you can infer quite a bit by comparing high quality aerial imagery from different time periods, though recent

http://www.jonasson.org/maps/

When I did research on the moose tag I was successful in drawing and filling this year, I didn't research trophy potential or herds or success rates. I found a mountain range I didn't know a lot about that looked cool, and chose to apply there because the country fascinated me. As the previous comments mentioned above, even if a district is reported to have poor numbers, age classes, and trophy potential, you have to wonder about the reliability of the that information, and how communicating that info to the hunting public will effect your chances to hunt and hunting experience.

I would say that districts that are perceived to be poor are possibly the best ones to hunt. Even if a hunting district supposedly lacks many of the desirable traits you'd want, I would posit that through boots-on-the-ground research, you can achieve results on par with those highly desirable districts. More work, but more hunting.

Admittedly, I don't have a whole lot of experience to back that claim up.

As far as maps and outlines of the public/private of each unit, Hunters Trailhead has a surface map of just about every unit in the states they cover. Once you look at the hunt data for a specific hunt/unit on HT, you will see a "Map" button. Click on that button and it will pull up a PDF map of the unit. Not something you can download for use in navigation, but very useful during your tag/drawing research to see what amount of public is there, and how accessible that public land will be.

Just used the link for Bing maps to look up my house. Pretty clear, although the picture was taken last May. I can tell that because of the construction going on here and how the vehicles are parked when we went on our Alaska trip. Zooms in nice and close.

Something else I have been using is www.gpshuntfish.com with an elite membership. It cost $30 for the year, and it is really useful so far in my "scouting". You can bring up bing or google aerial maps, hill-shaded terrain maps, topo maps. You can add POIs to it and then convert these for use in Google Earth or to .gpx files for use on your garmin. Something else I have been doing is using the drawing tools to outline units/ wilderness areas(for wyoming since I can't hunt them) and then converting these to a .kml file (which can be done directly from the website) to be used in google earth. It may not be the exact boundaries, but at least if I am looking at a particular drainage I know what unit it is in and whether or not it is in a wilderness area. There are also tools that mark public land, and forest service roads. Sure I could find the resources to do this probably for free but it sure makes it quick and easy to already have all of that info at your finger tips. For an out-of-stater, I think it is important to know some of these areas by name when you are talking to a game biologist or ranger. Seems like so far I have gotten better information from the biologists in areas where I have taken the time to learn something about the geography.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back