MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Republicans form new caucus; Conservation focus.

Benji Backer is the co-founder and president of the American Conservation Coalition, a pro-business environmentalism organization that promotes free-market solutions to environmental issues and advocates for conservation and a sustainable “all of the above” energy approach.

Yep, will be interesting to watch.

From what I understand, Gardner and Daines are pretty solid on public lands (for Republicans). I'm hopeful they can help stop the PLT rhetoric.

Now, as far as energy and environment, I doubt this group will please most of the folks here at HT. But overall it's probably a step in the right direction.

Now, as far as energy and environment, I doubt this group will please most of the folks here at HT. But overall it's probably a step in the right direction.

I’m pretty pleased to see those terms used in conjunction. Typically you seen them used antagonistically.

We shall see how it unfolds.

Hopeful, although somewhat skeptical since many conservatives (Republicans) with whom I've had discussions and of whom I've read assert that the conservation, protection and preservation of lands is best done by private property owners, not public agencies or programs. The caveat is often conservation through capitalism.

So as a public wildlife and public wildlife habitat advocate, as well as a public land recreationist, I remain suspicious.

Hopefully this turns into a trend. However I wouldnt get my hopes up. There is a lot of money going into pockets of politians to support PLT. Hell Cruz financed half his campaign from it.

I’ve talked with many legislators that have thrown out the phrase free market conservation, but they tend to not like when someone (APR) goes and practices free market conservation.

Hope this can be a good thing.
I wouldn't call APR free market. Take away the tax incentives to the donors and APR. I would bet APR would be much smaller.

Last edited:
Fair point, antler.
I am all for willing seller willing buyer but my feelings are mixed when groups like APR take advantage of the tax code to out bid other potential buyers. Enough said about APR. Those treads usually end up on the wrong side of the guardrail.

when groups like APR take advantage of the tax code to out bid other potential buyers.

Isn't that just being business savvy. I feel like it's the responsibility of every CEO to play the game well and the responsibility of our elected officials and bureaucrats to make the rules fair.

With regard to this caucus, I hope these politicians can help pass legislation that makes conservation and public land stewardship profitable.

"Enough said about APR".

Open a door the size of an Airbus A380 hangar, get an acknowledgement of some agreement, and promptly close the door.
Well played.;)

I am all for willing seller willing buyer but my feelings are mixed when groups like APR take advantage of the tax code to out bid other potential buyers. Enough said about APR. Those treads usually end up on the wrong side of the guardrail.
I get that point, but Amazon doesn't pay taxes either and the NFL is a non-profit.

I wouldn't call APR free market. Take away the tax incentives to the donors and APR. I would bet APR would be much smaller.

The Property & Environmental Research Center disagree with this assessment.

As does every Land trust that use market incentives to conserve private land.

I'm hopeful that this caucus represents a change in how the GOP has assaulted public land management & conservation.

I'm also cynical enough to think this is an election year ploy to blunt criticisms that are hurting GOP electeds in Western States. Daines already has a dark money front group set up to promote his lackluster voting record & his massive rollbacks of protections for public lands. Gardner is likely to lose his election due to his embracing of the administrations poor track record.

And so I'll be cautiously optimistic, but retain my cynicism u til something good comes of it beyond a press op.

What advantage does APR have in the tax code that others don't?

I was surprised and encouraged to hear about the Roosevelt Caucus. It seems to have the right players to build into something more impactful. Republicans need to take a hard look at how they've served conservation interests and do more.

I was surprised and encouraged to hear about the Roosevelt Caucus. It seems to have the right players to build into something more impactful. Republicans need to take a hard look at how they've served conservation interests and do more.

Yes, but they gawt-danged better not get any credit for it..we can't be havin' any o that chit.

Steve Daines is pushing for second largest reduction in protected acres for wildlife habitat I the history of the state while being wishy-washy on LWCF commitments. Please forgive those of us who are skeptical.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back