Replacement stock for a Tikka T3

Southern Elk

What’s a good replacement stock for a Tikka? I hate those plastic stocks. I would be interested in synthetic or a nice wood stock.

What’s a good replacement stock for a Tikka? I hate those plastic stocks. I would be interested in synthetic or a nice wood stock.
Bell and Carlson Medalists are pretty nice. They add a few ounces of weight and the grips are pretty beefy, but if that's ok with you, they're only about $250.00 which is half what alot of the really nice ones cost. Mine improved the accuracy of the rifle noticabley.

Depends on what you want. I favor Manners patterns by quite a bit, McMillan is good, B&C are fine. Fit and ergonomic preference is a lot of it, though the B&C’s I’ve had were noticeably less stiff. Not a wood stock person so no recommendations on that end.

If the Medalist grip was a little different I’d still have one or two for the price, just not my preference.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not looking to spend a ton of money. Honestly I’d be happy with something that felt like it was as good as what comes on the x bolts.
I just replaced the stock on my Bergara B14 with a Grayboe Outlander. Might fit your bill. I really like it—it’s lightweight, stiff, solid, and cost less than half of what I paid for my Manners stock. Made in America too.

We chose an Alterra Carbon Hunter when restocking my wife’s rifle. Ergonomics including the above centerline heel, negative comb along with the grip and palm swell were all selling points. The quality of construction is first class and has an advertised base weight of 24 oz.

I just put a B&C on mine. Haven’t had a chance to shoot it yet, but I like the way it feels. It definitely has a more “substantial” feel than the factory stock. One concern I have is that the butt pad on the B&C is not easily removable. I had a limbsaver on the factory stock that made a noticeable difference in felt recoil (300WSM). We’ll see if the more substantial B&C stock alleviates the need for that.

11FDE01C-96B0-42E9-8E4B-18717295B057.jpeg

I just put a B&C on mine. Haven’t had a chance to shoot it yet, but I like the way it feels. It definitely has a more “substantial” feel than the factory stock. One concern I have is that the butt pad on the B&C is not easily removable. I had a limbsaver on the factory stock that made a noticeable difference in felt recoil (300WSM). We’ll see if the more substantial B&C stock alleviates the need for that.

View attachment 172142
You are correct that the recoil pad is not easily removable. It is a Pachmyr Decelerator, which is a decent recoil pad, but I prefer the Limbsavers. I tried swapping it out when I applied a textured spray finish to mine (the epoxy splatter paint adds some grip, but not as much as I’d prefer), but I chipped a little of the stock when all of the old recoil pad wouldn’t turn loose. Literally 85%+ broke away just fine, but that little bit that didn’t caused a small portion to break off with it. I got creative with some filler and sanding, but it would have been very noticeable if I had not been painting it. Also, you will have to go back with a grind-to-fit Limbsaver if you go that route, as Sims does not make a compatible prefit replacement

You are correct that the recoil pad is not easily removable. It is a Pachmyr Decelerator, which is a decent recoil pad, but I prefer the Limbsavers. I tried swapping it out when I applied a textured spray finish to mine (the epoxy splatter paint adds some grip, but not as much as I’d prefer), but I chipped a little of the stock when all of the old recoil pad wouldn’t turn loose. Literally 85%+ broke away just fine, but that little bit that didn’t caused a small portion to break off with it. I got creative with some filler and sanding, but it would have been very noticeable if I had not been painting it. Also, you will have to go back with a grind-to-fit Limbsaver if you go that route, as Sims does not make a compatible prefit replacement
For most hunting situations with 300wm and below, the pachyr should be plenty as you are only taking a shot (or two) so no real pounding - plus you often have coats and other layers on your body at the time. For range time if the recoil is too much you can use a slip-on limbsaver or one of the shoulder pads. Changes the LOP a bit, but no more than coat/no coat changes.

Boyd's makes a pretty nice laminate stock with full customization for a very reasonable price. I recently revamped this Remington 700 30:06. Customizable should be emphasized, not just engraving or colors but more importantly length of pull, but pad options, Rt hand, Lt hand, piller bedding and so much more. I can't be more pleased. Boyd's offers many options of stock builds. This one happens to be a custom Prairie Hunter Rt hand action built for a Lt handed shooter.

IMG_3742.jpegIMG_3744.jpegIMG_3745.jpegIMG_3740.jpg

Put a Bell and Carlson on my Tikka T3 custom .264 Win Mag. Like the looks and feel, price was around $250

Any chance you've got a picture of your Tikka with the AG? Would love to see that combo.
Tikka T3X SS Superlite fluted in AG composite Privateer stock (white rock web coloring) inletted by Oregon Moutain Rifle, with their OMR aluminum bottom metal. Still need to stick the Murphy Precision pictainny rail and Leupold VX-6HD 3-18x44 on it and get it zeroed. It's chambered in 6.5manbun. In this picture the stock shape on top looks a little funny with the shadow from the ceiling lights, but it is a a classic no cheak swell or rise.

1612134045141.jpeg

Tikka T3X SS Superlite fluted in AG composite Privateer stock (white rock web coloring) inletted by Oregon Moutain Rifle, with their OMR aluminum bottom metal. Still need to stick the Murphy Precision pictainny rail and Leupold VX-6HD 3-18x44 on it and get it zeroed. It's chambered in 6.5manbun. In this picture the stock shape on top looks a little funny with the shadow from the ceiling lights, but it is a a classic no cheak swell or rise.

View attachment 172234
Thanks! Those look like really nice stocks. I wish I had some extra money laying around, because one of those would make the weight of my Tikka just about perfect...

I like the feel of the B&C except the grip is so much beefier than stock. If someone made an aftermarket stock with dimensions closer to what the gun comes with, I would be saving my pennies.

Back