Remington custom shop barreled actions. $400

I got someone on the phone yesterday to ask them about the list because I didn’t want to order something that was long gone. I was told “the list is updated whenever we get new information about what is there” I asked if it reflected any sales and was told “no. We are going to fill orders in the order that they were placed. If the barreled action you order is sold out, you’ll receive a refund, but we don’t actually have them yet. We should receive the shipment in about a month, and then begin filling the orders, and there may be more there than we have on the list”

What a mess. I wonder why PTG wants to handle all that extra money for a month, and then eat card fees for refunds....or will the refund you in PTG credit?

That’s call the lawyer kinda crap. Hope not...
That is their official refund policy. It’s on most pages where you can purchase a PTG product. It’s reasonable and understandable considering the types of products they sell which are usually made to order.

I HIGHLY doubt that is the case in this situation, BUT I feel like they are risking a lot of credit card fees in the issuance of refunds unless they have something worked out with their payment processor, soooo issuing credit instead of money would save them that. That would be pretty terrible of them to try.

I feel like they must be desperate to recoup a large percentage of their investment that was likely around $1M or more, and there is a good chance that once they know they’ve sold a certain percentage of what’s available the current purchase terms will probably change. Who knows. This is weird business practice, BUT when something as big as Remington is forced to liquidate everything quickly, there are serious deals on the table for everyone else in the business, IF they can put up some serious capital to secure them. I can see how it might be a great deal for PTG(or anyone else) and yet put them in a serious bind in the short term.

I think buying one of these has the risk of getting less than your $400 worth, yet the potential reward of getting a lot more than $400 worth.

What you can count on is that you’re more likely to draw a sheep tag than get a finished and fully functional rifle. Expect some gunsmithing at a minimum. I still bought one(if they have it by the time they get to me)...I get free chamber jobs as long as he or I own a the needed reamer. If you don’t have a good relationship with a smith that will finish chamber at a discount, or the ability to do it yourself, then the extra funds to finish the chamber of this product puts you at a higher risk of not getting a great deal.

Last edited:
Updated description on the PTG website. It’s a much better description of what they’re actually selling.

It starts with this quote: “These are the last Remington assemblies made before Remington shut down. They are short chambered and intended to be FINISHED at the Remington Custom Shop.”

This is a fact, not my opinion.

I tossed my hat in the ring for .25-06 mountain last week. It'll make a nice Christmas gift for my old man in a B/C Alaskan Ti.

Probably call tomorrow and make sure I don't have my hopes too high.

Updated description on the PTG website. It’s a much better description of what they’re actually selling.

It starts with this quote: “These are the last Remington assemblies made before Remington shut down. They are short chambered and intended to be FINISHED at the Remington Custom Shop.”

This is a fact, not my opinion.
Thankyou
Am I the only one hoping I have cash in my pocket when Brockel gets bored after he gets them shooting ragged holes? 😄
No need I ordered 7 so I can hopefully get 4, I only need 1 so I may have one for sale. 🤔

They shut er down:

Remington Custom Shop - Barreled Action. This product is removed until we have them in stock and will be priced accordingly.​

Condition: New product

We will honor the orders previously taken.

They shut er down:

Remington Custom Shop - Barreled Action. This product is removed until we have them in stock and will be priced accordingly.​

hmm, interesting. What are everyone's thoughts on this? They sell out or want to reinvent the listing when they receive the actions?

Well, glad I bought when I did.

If I were a betting man I’d say they brought enough $$$ in the door to fund the purchase from Remington and now they’re going to carefully inventory the rest and sell them for more than $400 each, depending on what each particular one has/doesn’t have. Smart investment to be honest, if that’s how it happened.

Or they’ve already sold 10,000 when they only had 4,400 to sell in the first place and they fear the refunds!

They shut er down:

I’m still able to get in there an order another if I wanted. Not sure why some see the product removed

I find it interesting the updated description removes all mention of the barreled actions possibly including a bolt. I doubt that was accidental. Very curious to see what people get

I find it interesting the updated description removes all mention of the barreled actions possibly including a bolt. I doubt that was accidental. Very curious to see what people get
Maybe that’s why they shut it down so they can make sure all the orders come with bolts 😆

Or magically all the preorders will be strictly bare action, recoil lug, and short chambered barrel. I hope not….

I tossed my hat in the ring for .25-06 mountain last week. It'll make a nice Christmas gift for my old man in a B/C Alaskan Ti.

Probably call tomorrow and make sure I don't have my hopes too high.
They’re not going to have any good info on the phone. They don’t even have the barreled actions in their possession, and they’re not going through orders yet.

The more I look at that list, the more I think there are a lot of guns on there that aren’t what I think of as something coming from the custom shop.

The more I look at things that did come out of the custom shop in recent years, the more disappointing it appears.

Last edited:
Well I just stumbled on this. And I was looking at 2 of the actions, but it seems that they have shut it down for now. I hope they come through and fill the orders for the people that ordered already

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adscarpernter
Back