Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Remington 783?

mtmuley

Anybody have one? Like it? Accurate? I happened to see that they are available at Cabela's for 215 bucks. For that kind of money, I doubt a guy could go wrong. Kinda ugly, and I hate the Accu-trigger style triggers, but stocks and stuff are becoming available. mtmuley

After the way Remington handled the trigger recall I am surprised they are not giving them away. I bought the wife a Ruger American Compact in 7mm-08. Shoots great, looks good and is lite.

The trigger recall don't bother me. Heard good things about this rifle as well as the Ruger. For just over 200 bucks, I might chance it. I like Remingtons better than Rugers anyway. mtmuley

I can tell you that I have a 710 and until I snapped off a set screw in the barrel last preseason it was a straight killer. I got that joker for $275 (package with a Bushnell 3x9) and it was easily capable of 1.5 in group with core lockts. Not fancy and the bolt doesn't cycle sweetly but it killed EVERYTHING I ever shot at with it. If it wasn't going to cost more to get it fixed than what it cost me for the used Savage 10 I bought I would still be using it. I will probably get it fixed at some point and use it as my back up. Trigger was a bit heavy but breaks well.

IIRC the 783 is the re-incarnation of the Marlin X series of bolt rifles after Rem and Marlin came under the same umbrella. A google search for the Marlin X should turn up a lot of reviews.

My opinion, is that they are probably a pretty solid gun for the price. But, unless you're doing one of the $215 one's at Cabelas, I'd be leaning more towards a Ruger American. Neither have much in the way of after market support, but that segment is growing for the Ruger.

From what I've seen at the range, the Ruger American is a more accurate rifle than that rebranded Marlin that Remington is selling. I guess their next step is having it made in China.

Well, reviews I find of owners say they shoot well. The RAR has issues that need attention. Wally World has 700's for under 400 bucks. A better way to go I'm thinking. mtmuley

Well, reviews I find of owners say they shoot well. The RAR has issues that need attention. Wally World has 700's for under 400 bucks. A better way to go I'm thinking. mtmuley

This ^^

The Walmart in Grand Junction had a 30-06, 270, and 243 synthetic on their shelf for $377 last week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back