Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Rem 700 Build

HighDesertSage

With all the smack I have talked about Remington over the years, why wouldn't I put one together? I have had a couple QC issues with them over the years, but the price was right on this one and I was able to put together a rifle with quality components for under a $1000 bucks. I wanted a caliber that could take on anything, and had readily available ammo, so the 30-06 naturally fit the bill. I found this rifle at a front range walmart on sale for about $350 bucks, sold as an adl scoped combo. First thing I did (after waiting four days for the background check to go through, thanks Corona) was strip the scope, rings, bases, trigger, trigger guard, action screws, and stock off the rifle and sold everything on ebay. I made about $100 doing this. So I was basically left with a barrel action for about $250 bucks.

I used the following components to put this together:
- HS Precision stock : on sale from Red Hawk Rifles $350
- Trigger Tech Primary Trigger set to 2lbs. $140
- Duracoat Aerosol Kit in Gray Wolf $65
- Metal trigger guard from Midway USA $40
- Cheek rest from Midway USA $25

So all in I was at right about $870 for the rifle. Which is doing pretty well for the components I got.

I topped it off with a set of Warne Mtn Tech rings and bases, and vortex viper HS, bought used on ebay.

I am really happy with how this turned out. I especially like the duracoat finish. So far I have only shot 180 Rem Core Lokts with it and it printed right around an inch. Looking forward to getting it out and seeing what it can do with 180 Accubonds in the next couple weeks. IMG_1540.jpgIMG_1541.jpgIMG_1542.jpgIMG_1543.jpg

Like you, I have not been a M700 guy, but I like that rig!
Thanks for the cost breakdown. That actually really useful as I wait for my Gunbroker donor rifle to ship for my next project.
I use that same cheekpiece from Midway. Cheap and effective and I keep extra rounds and a Boresnake in the pouch.

Question. Everybody talks about fit, normally pertaining to the stock.Well with that thing on the butt, don't know what it's called, what does that do to stock fit?

Question. Everybody talks about fit, normally pertaining to the stock.Well with that thing on the butt, don't know what it's called, what does that do to stock fit?
It's a cheek rest. For me it actually brings my eye into correct alignment with the scope, which sits a little higher due to the rail and rings.

Looks great. I’m also a big fan of trigger tech.

A flat trigger would've made it more gooder. I so I read on the interwebz.

Nice work. I have the same set up with a different scope. Great do everything hunting rifle. Mine is a lot more pleasant to shoot with the HS than factory wood stock. Pawn shop ADLs are great project guns.

Last edited:
Nice work. I have the same set up with a different scope. Great do everything hunting rifle. Mine is a lot more pleasant to shoot with the HS than factory wood stock. Pawn shop ADLs are great project guns.
That was my original intent was to get a cheap action and barrel, but wal mart had them so cheap I went that route. You can't even get a barreled action for under $350.

Reactions: FLS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScatterGunHamilton
Back