Reintroduce wolves to Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park?

While not from Montana, I am originally from Idaho but have been living down the road from the Park for a number of years now. My gut reaction is that this isn't going anywhere, but given the stupidity that Idaho and Montana had to endure with wolf management run by the courts, who knows. Keep your fingers crossed.

This will happen on it's own given time. To me there is a big difference between reintroducing wolves and introducing wolves. If we would have had native wolves they would have been reintroduced, but we had non native wolves introduced.
If management is started from day one it's ok.

You are correct Wyoming556, no question there. I have hunted the Park for the better part of 15 years and had great success. . .and then they raised the prices on the tags, so, we quit going out. . .I'm sure others did too. I'm going to try and make it back out next year, but, if they are worried about the elk population. . .maybe they should lower the tag prices and make them easy to get. . .possibly more than one tag? Just my thoughts. I think the wolves have their place, just don't know if it there.

ihuntelk has best idea....Washington DC and LA and San Fran too!

And RobertR is dead on!!! Those were CN wolves brought to YNP not a reintroduction of Rocky Mtn wolves!

You are correct Wyoming556, no question there. I have hunted the Park for the better part of 15 years and had great success. . .and then they raised the prices on the tags, so, we quit going out. . .I'm sure others did too. I'm going to try and make it back out next year, but, if they are worried about the elk population. . .maybe they should lower the tag prices and make them easy to get. . .possibly more than one tag? Just my thoughts. I think the wolves have their place, just don't know if it there.

I would love to see some Park hunting pics.

ihuntelk has best idea....Washington DC and LA and San Fran too!

And RobertR is dead on!!! Those were CN wolves brought to YNP not a reintroduction of Rocky Mtn wolves!

Makes for a good campfire rant, but lacks any truth.

As to reintroducing wolves to RMP - I'd be against it. Landscape is too fragmented.

mtmiller, I will get some scanned. I don't want you to think I killed any book elk, but a few decent bulls and multiple cows. All but one with a bow, 1 with a Muzzy. I just don't want to dissappoint. :)

The only reason that I would support such a measure....the wolves might just push some elk down here to Texas! We've got a few free range elk in west Texas, and since our Texas Parks and Wildlife Department does not classify elk as a native specie, elk can be harvested year-round and without any special tag!

Otherwise, like others have said, just lower the fees for elk tags, and it will produce more hunters and more revenue for the State!

The only reason that I would support such a measure....the wolves might just push some elk down here to Texas! We've got a few free range elk in west Texas, and since our Texas Parks and Wildlife Department does not classify elk as a native specie, elk can be harvested year-round and without any special tag!

Otherwise, like others have said, just lower the fees for elk tags, and it will produce more hunters and more revenue for the State!

Yep, like landowners need another reason to jack hunt ground rates....:rolleyes::D;)

I prefer their current habitat scenery.

Colorado does not suffer from a lack of hunters, we have a lack of access, especially to private where the elk take refuge when too many folks hunt the public ground

Colorado does not suffer from a lack of hunters, we have a lack of access, especially to private where the elk take refuge when too many folks hunt the public ground

I really saw this where I used to hunt north of Hayden. Those elk know exactly where to go when the bullets start popping. I had people tell me that they saw herds of 150 headed for the Smith ranch on opening day.

I really saw this where I used to hunt north of Hayden. Those elk know exactly where to go when the bullets start popping. I had people tell me that they saw herds of 150 headed for the Smith ranch on opening day.

That must be why the state gives so many transferable tags to the landowners to help control the elk problem when they are herded onto thier pastures.

This will happen on it's own given time. To me there is a big difference between reintroducing wolves and introducing wolves. If we would have had native wolves they would have been reintroduced, but we had non native wolves introduced.
If management is started from day one it's ok.

Just keep the misinformation train rolling why don't you! Montana, and Idaho already had wolves, and you know where they were coming down from?

Getting your info from "Saveelk.com", or "Lobo wolf" discredits anything you might say.

It does no good to continue with that rant. It was started to discredit the work done to perpetuate wolves. The theory they hoped for would make the Feds (through court action) remove the wolves because they weren't' the right ones. Big stretch.

A wolf population would have been here in just as big, if not bigger numbers, had we not done a "re-introduction". They were given "non-essential, experimental status" because of the "re-introduction" which allowed us to manage (kill) wolves that got into trouble. Long old story.

I too would be against putting wolves in the park. I think they might make it on their own though.

In this political climate, I don't see it.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back