Reducing caliber mixups

2rocky

One day while hunting I walked up on an unfired 7mm Mag on the trail, so I slipped it into my pocket.

a couple days later I'd forgotten about it and went to load that cartridge in my rifle, a .300 win Mag. Luckily I caught it because they had different bullet appearances. But I shudder at what could have happened if I'd loaded and fired the round.

FullSizeRender-768x511.jpg
FullSizeRender-1-768x517.jpg

Are there certain calibers you avoid because of the potentials for ammunition mixups?

I've fire formed a lot of cases, some with projectiles jammed into the lands, some a paper wad or something else, but never with smaller diameter bullets... I doubt it would have done anything other than form to the chamber, the pressure would be really low since the gas could escape around the bullet, but the pressure would likely be high enough at onset of ignition to seal the chamber to prevent blowback. I shot a 300WSM through a 325 one day... it hit about 3ft low on the target, but otherwise was no different sounding or feeling. No clue how it got in my box of reloads, spooked me a bit. What's spooky is when a case fails and blasts you with hot gasses. Separation at the head, or blowout at the neck. Makes me glad I have on glasses, every single time.

I just processed a bunch of 5.56 brass and there were a few range pick-ups of 204 Ruger. It was obvious when I tried to run them through the sizing die but I didn't notice them in the stack.

I have 7mmMag and 300WinMag. Luckily I they have vastly different bullet designs right now.
I also have 204 and 223...I don't think they will chamber but never tested

Last edited:
I reload for almost evrything I shoot. Except 222 remington in a savage combo 222/20 gauge. . I buy a box at a time and it goes in the case that firearm goes in. I'd hate to shove a 223 in it. It is my own personal paranoia. I'm just glad i only shoot that combo gun at targets of opportunity, it doesn't get used a lot.

I have a buddy who will not own another 7/08 since it too closely resembles a .308 and he is worried about he or his son getting the ammo switched around one day

Was at the range one day and a guy was struggling to get his new weatherby to shoot good. Finally after a box through it he asked for help. When I walked up to the bench the brass looked a little funny. Asked him what he was shooting and he says 300 mag. So I asked which one. He says “the mag”. So I look at his gun and it’s a 300 weatherby and he’s shooting 300 win mag ammo in it. Told him he was shooting the wrong ammo in it and he said the weatherby stuff was to expensive. That was the day I quit shooting at the range with other people I don’t know

Was at the range one day and a guy was struggling to get his new weatherby to shoot good. Finally after a box through it he asked for help. When I walked up to the bench the brass looked a little funny. Asked him what he was shooting and he says 300 mag. So I asked which one. He says “the mag”. So I look at his gun and it’s a 300 weatherby and he’s shooting 300 win mag ammo in it. Told him he was shooting the wrong ammo in it and he said the weatherby stuff was to expensive. That was the day I quit shooting at the range with other people I don’t know
It's amazing how many guys are confused about the .308. mtmuley

Think I've seen more kabooms with 300 AAC being fired in a 5.56 AR than any other ammo mix-up, quite a few shooters color code their magazines because of this. Wouldn't want that bomb in my hands.

Things like this make me glad I have access to a private range.

Yup. I once had a guy at a public range in San Jose, California ask me if I had a hammer because his bolt wouldn't open. I packed up and left.

I've seen under diameter cartridges that have been fired. NBD - Mostly they look fire formed, or the case will have a few vents torn into it from being stretched too much.
But I've seen that in fire-forming with the correct bullets too.

It does amaze me how someone will work pretty hard to chamber something that the designer tried to prevent them from chambering.

Somewhere around here I have a book with a list of cartridges which can be dangerously cross loaded. I can't find it or remember the author. :oops::unsure:

I've never had a mixup, but I get concerned I'm going to try to jam a .280 round into a .270 some day, although I think I've read the .280 has a little different taper at the shoulder so it actually wouldn't chamber. ???

I alternate shooting a .270 and .280 at the range a lot. Same with a .308 and 7mm-08. I'm kind of paranoid about mixing up ammo so I tend to be very careful about it.

Bigger concern is mixing a 20 gauge shell in a handful of 12 gauge shells. The 20 gauge will go forward enough to allow a trialing 12 gauge to be chambered and fired - not recommended.

I also have 204 and 223...I don't think they will chamber but never tested

Your 204 won't fit the 223 chamber, but the 223 will drop right into the 204 chamber.
Trying to squeeze that bigger bullet down the barrel may make life interesting !

This whole situation is why i have different color ammo boxes for different cartridges.

Bigger concern is mixing a 20 gauge shell in a handful of 12 gauge shells. The 20 gauge will go forward enough to allow a trialing 12 gauge to be chambered and fired - not recommended.
Most 20 gauge I've seen is yellow. Don't know if I've seen a yellow 12 gauge shell. Maybe I'm just sheltered. But yeah if that happens, you are gonna have a bad day....

72062300.jpg

Most 20 gauge I've seen is yellow. Don't know if I've seen a yellow 12 gauge shell. Maybe I'm just sheltered. But yeah if that happens, you are gonna have a bad day....

72062300.jpg
Yup - and that's why they do that, but when pulling out of a pocket while distracted . . . .

Never had a mixup but I am OCD with my brass and with my loaded ammo on how it is stored. There are NEVER any loose shells floating around.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back