MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Reducing caliber mixups

Was in this class where we had people shooting 9mm, 40 s&w, 357 sig. There was a guy who accidentally filled a 40 s&w mag with 357 sig. Printed several shots wild off point of aim then had FTF. 😐

Not proud of this but recently I had TWO ammo switches in a single day. Never had one before in my life. I was sighting in both a 6.5CM and a 7mm HT. Letting each cool down between sessions. I was shooting Hornady Precision Hunter ELDX in both. So, the boxes looked identical. It was the first time shooting this ammo OR these rifles. So I had inspected some rounds from each box. Without realizing it, I had put a round from each back in the wrong boxes.

I thought it strange, but no big deal when I had a jammed feed on the 6.5. Bolt would not close. It was my first time using the gun and I thought, " well this thing feeds like sh**". I ejected the round and put it aside, and kept going. (That was the 7mm08, which of course I discovered later and thankfully it did not chamber easily). Later on, with the 7mm08, I chambered a round and "click". No indent on the primer. OK, weak firing pin spring? Like a STUPID idiot, I rechambered the SAME ROUND and "click"..... At that moment I froze, and went 'Oh Sh**!!" and before even looking at the stamp, knew what I would see. Yup, 6.5CM. So that stupid easy mistake of cross-docking two rounds into identical looking boxes could have been really bad. So it pays to very purposefully segregate your range gear cause it can happen even after 25-30 years of it NOT happening.

When I was a kid my dad somehow slipped a 3" 20ga shell into my 2 3/4" gun. Killed my first squirrel with it, and thankfully nothing bad happened, but when the shell opened up it was too long to eject. Soo that ended our hunt for the day as we had to head back to the cabin and pry that shell out with a pair of pliers.

I don't even know where this shell came from because we didn't even own a 3" 20ga, and had no other 3" shells

Way back in my younger days was shooting with a guy nick-named Ballistic Bob, was shooting his Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 mag, some of the cases were coming out of the cylinder split right down the side... Turns out he had a .41 mag AND a .44 mag, the .41 mag shells slipped right into the cylinder but didn't appreciate the expansion... never seen a guy turn so red! Many learnings to be had in this world!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back