Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

reduced recoil for a .300 RUM

sacountry

I'm not super thrilled with my .300 RUM and this present powder shortage isn't helping. I'm contemplating swapping out the barrel down to a .300 Win Mag, but before I do that I have a couple hundred rounds of single fired .300 RUM brass. Wondering if anyone has experimented with a formula for a reduced recoil .300 RUM load. Note I'm still acquiring reloading gear and components so I'm very much a newbie. Magnum primers are elusive to say the least. Please share your thoughts if you've had some success with a reduced recoil load. I'd begin my search for the matching bullet weight and powder that worked with hopes of finding a buddy locally that will sell me a 100-200 magnum primers.

Limbsaver airtech recoil pad made huge difference on my 300 rum without changes in load

Try lighter bullets. When I put my 300 RUM on a diet and it’s weight dropped to about 8.25 pounds, my 200 gr Accubond load was really getting my attention. I moved to 181 gr Hammers and it was much more comfortable to shoot. Barnes and Hammer each offer several choices in the 150 to 181 gr weight range. If I were going that light in a 300 RUM, I would definitely stick with a mono bullet.

To me, you don't get a .300 RUM and attempt to "reduce" it. Many other cartridges for that. It's a big case that burns a shitload of powder and pushes bullets fast. Burns barrels and is an absolutely nasty elk killer. There are no shortcuts with a RUM. Bought mine in 2000 so kinda know things. mtmuley

I agree with @mtmuley. Even if you reduced the loads it's not going to be pleasant to shoot and it sort of defeats the intended purpose. Maybe a brake off an M1 tank would help 🤣

With the goal your looking for you should put the RUM in the gun safe and buy a 308.
There I solved your problem :) your welcome.

I would not be averse to a brake except for the added length. Have a mental block about carrying a 28”. One of my hunt pards has the 300 Wby braked and I don’t notice it except when it barks. It is a pleasure to fire tho.

Never notice recoil on game. Of course the 30RUM is robust on the bench. You can erode accuracy and burn folding money fast without focus and form.

Last edited:
You don't detune your Corvette, you trade it in for an Impala.
I know a guy who traded his RUM for a 7 mag. That can't be easy.

Muzzlebreak.

Or check out Hodgdon’s website and load up some minimum/starting charge weights with 130gr or 150gr projectiles. For example, 86.5gr of IMR7828 pushes a 150gr 3105fps. That will recoil like a 30-06.

I wouldn't bother trying to reduce it. Or simply go down to 300 WM. That won't make much of a difference. I'd sell it and get a .30/06

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back