Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

reduced recoil for a .300 RUM

If moose/elk are your biggest target and you keep your shots under 500y, then 7mm09, .308, 30-06 will all get the job done with less recoil and less powder. Once you go to mags your recoil and powder consumption go significantly up. If you want mag performance run it the way it was designed, trying to tune them down to non-mag recoil and powder consumption doesn’t make a lot of sense in my view. If you want it to recoil like 30-06, buy a 30-06. A “reduced recoil round” in Rum will still burn more powder than a .308 or 30-06.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I don't want to go the brake route because, well, I hunt with people and I shoot at ranges next to people. PLus a brake doesn't solve for the powder consumption nor the barrel wear-n-tear. I do own a .30-06 and a couple of .308s and I know they're capable within my desired range of under 300 yards. I think the powder issue along with a couple of scope shots to the eye with RUM on illadvised angled shots has me thinking about the reduced recoil option. I can always shoot the full loads (I like the 185 gr Berger VLDs in my RUM) when needed and then have the flexibility of this reduced recoil load concept. I'll definitely check out the Hammer bullets as I try to make this vision come to fruition.

I successfully used a 300 Win Mag for years all over the world, especially in Africa and North America. For some reason, being a gun nut.I had a 300 RUM crafted by a famous gunsmith. I found it louder, kicked harder, and not as accurate as my 300 Win Mag. I was probably flinching. Sold it for more than I paid for it and have not missed it for a moment. My old 300 Win Mag still works for me just fine. Too old to learn new tricks I guess.

Thanks everyone. I don't want to go the brake route because, well, I hunt with people and I shoot at ranges next to people. PLus a brake doesn't solve for the powder consumption nor the barrel wear-n-tear. I do own a .30-06 and a couple of .308s and I know they're capable within my desired range of under 300 yards. I think the powder issue along with a couple of scope shots to the eye with RUM on illadvised angled shots has me thinking about the reduced recoil option. I can always shoot the full loads (I like the 185 gr Berger VLDs in my RUM) when needed and then have the flexibility of this reduced recoil load concept. I'll definitely check out the Hammer bullets as I try to make this vision come to fruition.
Best discription I've ever read for a magnum cartridge was about50 yrs ago. magnum's are for delivering exceptional power at normal range, not normal power at exceptional range. Always made sense to me!

I have a KDF brake and a mechanical or mercury recoil on both my .300 Weatherby and my .375 RUM. I also load reduced loads for each of them for practice. I've used both on multiple international hunts, and the .300 Bee is my favorite elk rifle. I wouldn't even consider shooting either one without their brake.

I’d load your 06 with 168 or 185VLD and go hunt and wouldn’t hesitate to shoot further than 300 yards with it if you so desire.
If you need or want to shoot 200-230gr bullets load up the RUM.

Shure have been more than happy with the performance out of my .300 win mag. through lots of game and target session shooting.
I have never felt I needed more.
The .300 win mag does have less recoil than the ultra mag. But it isn't exactly a slouch in the recoil department either. Especially with 200gr bullets.
But if you want a magnum and want versatility, with less recoil than your current rifle, the win mag is the way to go.
Ammo and components to load are easier and cheaper than the ultra mag too.

Maybe shoot it standing up with sticks or a monopod and let your upper body absorb the recoil. Then once you’re used to it acclimate to shooting from the bench.
I used to have a Ruger #1 458 Lott. Lotsa fun standing up, but dealt concussions at the bench.

To me, you don't get a .300 RUM and attempt to "reduce" it. Many other cartridges for that. It's a big case that burns a shitload of powder and pushes bullets fast. Burns barrels and is an absolutely nasty elk killer. There are no shortcuts with a RUM. Bought mine in 2000 so kinda know things. mtmuley

Right?? Don't you guys buy RUMs just to shake your fillings loose a bit?

To me, you don't get a .300 RUM and attempt to "reduce" it. Many other cartridges for that. It's a big case that burns a shitload of powder and pushes bullets fast. Burns barrels and is an absolutely nasty elk killer. There are no shortcuts with a RUM. Bought mine in 2000 so kinda know things. mtmuley
A buddy has a RUM (Sendero) and right before i shot it for the first time said "it's a great rifle. Kills on one side and maims on the other..." That shook me up but it was one of the most accurate rifles i've shot. The recoil did get my attention though and respect. Not for the faint of heart.

I think you'll regret selling the RUM. To me it is just a good fit to your line up of 30cals. It is designed to be a long range tool. And if you get serious with reloading you can get it to shoot great. Especially if you put a nice brake on it an a scope that give plenty of eye relief.
I have a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in a 300RUM. I love it. I'm sure some hate theirs... I swapped to the side discharge brake an a N.F. nxs 5.5-22x56. Load 212g ELDX at Mag length an tuned the brake to shoot off a 9 to 13" harris just on the ground. I swear with a "hunters wedge" rear bag it kicks less than my rem700 30-06 pushing the 178g eldx. Its fun to shoot an see buddies get behind it an hit steel 600y over an over that never try long shots.
You need to control the flinch no matter what rifle you choose. And don't underestimate bedding stocks even if they were supposedly spot bedded.
This run/shortage will pass an primers will be back to normal prices soon enough. I shoot h1000 so i've been holding my breath awhile...

I successfully used a 300 Win Mag for years all over the world, especially in Africa and North America. For some reason, being a gun nut.I had a 300 RUM crafted by a famous gunsmith. I found it louder, kicked harder, and not as accurate as my 300 Win Mag. I was probably flinching. Sold it for more than I paid for it and have not missed it for a moment. My old 300 Win Mag still works for me just fine. Too old to learn new tricks I guess.
Happy Myles, what is your favorite bullet / load for your 300 Win Mag? With Best Regards...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back