Want to start reloading

freu1chr

Trying to decide if it is worth getting into reloading. I priced out all the components to make 50 rounds and it was $150 when i pay about $100 for 50 factory rounds. I know with everything going on the prices are out of wack but is it normal to pay more for reloading your own rounds rather than factory. I also know you will get better accuracy with reloads. I guess what i am asking is the increase in price worth it to you guys for better accuracy? I have a 300 win mag, 257 roberts and a 6.5 PRC that i would load for. Here is what i found for prices to reload the 300 WIN mag.

$78 Cases (Nosler cases)
$51 Bullets (Nosler accubonds)
$6 Primers ($12 for 100 Large Magnum)
$15 Powder ( $30 Hodgdon MIR 7828 SCC 1 Pound)

I don’t know about anyone else, but I don’t load for accuracy, I load for economy. Today’s factory ammunition has never been better. Most guns and ammunition you buy in a store will shoot better than the buyer can shoot.

If you don’t shoot a lot, just buy the ammo and enjoy your time not reloading, otherwise you may end up like this...

015FDD85-8F10-4A1F-BB3E-72C8AB659601.jpeg819CCF4D-D349-439D-9550-A4B35B6DD4E7.jpegF40110CD-37F6-4927-98ED-3639F175021A.jpeg29FCC68D-C37D-48CF-B1DE-DBF991248914.jpeg

Prices are going up on everything.
The real problem is availability!

And i'm not sure your math is right.
Cases are what they are, but take your $78 and divide by 5 or 6. (The number of times you can reload a single case)

$51 for Accubonds. Divide by 2. (They come 100 to a box).

Your initial purchase is higher, but when you look at price per round, at 500 rounds (about how many firings per case assuming 5 reloads) the total cost is lower.

Will you save money reloading? No.
With tools (press, dies, scale, other ancillary tools) and the fact you'll shoot more, i've spent way more than if i bought factory ammo.

But when times like this happen, i can still go downstairs and load up a few hundred of anything i shoot.

And i do load for accuracy. But for things like 257 Roberts, it's not always easy to find quality ammo to begin with when times are good.
Add in other "obsolete" cartridges, and it's even more so.
Plus, you can load bullets you normally wouldn't find in factory ammo.
257 Roberts, or 250 Savage with 115gr Berger VLD for example.

Last edited:
I don’t know about anyone else, but I don’t load for accuracy, I load for economy. Today’s factory ammunition has never been better. Most guns and ammunition you buy in a store will shoot better than the buyer can shoot.

If you don’t shoot a lot, just buy the ammo and enjoy your time not reloading, otherwise you may end up like this...

View attachment 178564View attachment 178565View attachment 178566View attachment 178567
I'm not gonna start an argument but this is a prime example of Where's the components...... though I wouldn't complain if this is my camp either.

If I were you, I would not start reloading right now. As components are at the same lack of availability as ammunition. But if you’re serious about wanting to reload for other reasons, now would be the time to buy a good reloading book such the ABC’s of Reloading and a Nosler Reloading manual(since you want to load Nosler bullets). Read through those and then decide if the process is something you can manage. If it is, start by shopping sales, ebay, garage sales, FB marketplace for a press, scale, and all the other basic equipment. It’s no use buying some of those things new as they don’t really wear out and can save a fair bit of money buying used.

No body ever saved money by reloading. Keep in mind to save money you have to recover the cost of tool's and one you start there always gonna be a new tool you just have to have. Also where you shot one box last month, this month your saving money so you shoot three box's! Nope, no one ever saved any money reloading but it is a hoot!

No body ever saved money by reloading. Keep in mind to save money you have to recover the cost of tool's and one you start there always gonna be a new tool you just have to have. Also where you shot one box last month, this month your saving money so you shoot three box's! Nope, no one ever saved any money reloading but it is a hoot!

You don’t know what you’re talking about.

you'll need to shoot a lot to be money ahead after buying the setup, but I started reloading bc I couldn't get the loads that my gun liked, is so hit and hit and miss on what the stores had so it was just easier to start reloading than looking everywhere for a box of shells that you might only be able to get 1 box.

View attachment 178564View attachment 178565View attachment 178566View attachment 178567
Someone is going to have a time dealing with all of that when you go to that great reloading room in the sky.

Trying to decide if it is worth getting into reloading. I priced out all the components to make 50 rounds and it was $150 when i pay about $100 for 50 factory rounds. I know with everything going on the prices are out of wack but is it normal to pay more for reloading your own rounds rather than factory. I also know you will get better accuracy with reloads. I guess what i am asking is the increase in price worth it to you guys for better accuracy? I have a 300 win mag, 257 roberts and a 6.5 PRC that i would load for. Here is what i found for prices to reload the 300 WIN mag.

$78 Cases (Nosler cases)
$51 Bullets (Nosler accubonds)
$6 Primers ($12 for 100 Large Magnum)
$15 Powder ( $30 Hodgdon MIR 7828 SCC 1 Pound)
First off there is going to be an initial investment in a press and other necessary and desirable equipment. If you like the satisfaction of DIY and hand tailoring ammo to your needs then that's a plus.

Then again you could buy a lot of hamburger and filet mignon for what it would cost someone from New York to drive to Wyoming and take home 40 pounds of antelope meat. Cost isn't everything. If you could find a local mentor to help you that would be a plus.

As one that has been feeding big cased magnums for a long time, handloading can and will save you money. Not sure if it's true today, but I've been set up for 35 years and don't need to buy any equipment. Even if it was a wash or cost was a bit more, I'd still handload. I like the control and and flexibility. mtmuley

My custom chambers, big magnums and bulk .223/45acp is why i reload and i save a lot of money and never stress availability. To me its also worth something to not be that guy whos on internet boards begging for ammo. Now is a terrible time to begin reloading, i would just use factory ammo till next downturn. Start saving/picking up brass now

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back