Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Reddit WallStreetBets vs Wall Street hedge funds

What I find hilarious is that the hedge funds are so upset that the small-timers were able to manipulate the market, which is the exact same thing hedge funds have been doing for decades. :unsure:

What I find hilarious is that the hedge funds are so upset that the small-timers were able to manipulate the market, which is the exact same thing hedge funds have been doing for decades.
Over the last 15years, annualized returns of 9.6% for the S&P 500. Even if what you say is correct (it isn't) I would support more manipulation of that kind. (y)

Investing money in GameStop might have made sense at the lower stock prices. However, when your investment pays off, sell and buy an island. DeepF—-Value is being stupid at this point. How long until he gets back the 70% he lost since Friday?

Never.

i'm definitely not debating this point. i got out of the whole dealio last week. if you had the balls to get past initial volatility last monday (i did not) you should have sold at some point along that ride. i'm not a believer we'll be jumping over 300 a share again

holding now is silly. though, i'm retaining one share because why not, gotta keep things interesting, who knows, another frenzy may reignite

people gotta remember millennials like myself don't "invest" with much rationale in our hobby funds. well, at least, mine is only a side hobby fund, i won't speak for all millennials. i'm gambling based on what my gut tells me. i spend like 4 minute on average researching stocks and options i buy

ask me how upset i am today that i blew a chunk of change on ETH years ago? 😁

i'm definitely not debating this point. i got out of the whole dealio last week. if you had the balls to get past initial volatility last monday (i did not) you should have sold at some point along that ride. i'm not a believer we'll be jumping over 300 a share again

holding now is silly. though, i'm retaining one share because why not, gotta keep things interesting, who knows, another frenzy may reignite

people gotta remember millennials like myself don't "invest" with much rationale in our hobby funds. well, at least, mine is only a side hobby fund, i won't speak for all millennials. i'm gambling based on what my gut tells me. i spend like 4 minute on average researching stocks and options i buy

ask me how upset i am today that i blew a chunk of change on ETH years ago? 😁

Dude- I’m a millennial as well and could not be further apart from you philosophically. To me, there is no such thing as “hobby” money when it comes to investing- I have a wife, kids and a small business. I work too hard for my money and owe it to them to take this seriously.

Different strokes I guess, I would probably be well-served to lighten the reigns a little myself to be honest.

Dude- I’m a millennial as well and could not be further apart from you philosophically. To me, there is no such thing as “hobby” money when it comes to investing- I have a wife, kids and a small business. I work too hard for my money and owe it to them to take this seriously.

Different strokes I guess, I would probably be well-served to lighten the reigns a little myself to be honest.

well, i mean, think of it this way: currently, my wife and I each get 1.5% of our monthly budget (subject to change based on the current financial goals and i'll say we don't have kids or pets right now) to spend on whatever we want whenever we want no questions asked (well put an asterisk on no questions asked.... you the idea though). over the year i diligently save my portion and probably 80% or more of it goes towards hunting. more recently i've started slicing off some fractions of that remaining 20% to gamble with in the stock market.

point is, not only is it beans that my hobby money consists of it's purely fun money. at least it was beans until I sold an ETH to dump in GME like two weeks ago ;)

Last edited:
All good man, certainly didn’t mean to imply my way was better than your way.

From my perspective, the most important factor in wealth preservation/growth (besides time and a good tax strategy) is discipline. I wouldn’t trust myself to hold discipline if I treated some of my money with less than the rest of it. It’s slow and boring, but the data I’ve been exposed to shows that it works best.

Last edited:
well, i mean, think of it this way: currently, my wife and I each get 1.5% of our monthly budget (subject to change based on the current financial goals and i'll say we don't have kids or pets right now) to spend on whatever we want whenever we want no questions asked (well put an asterisk on no questions asked.... you the idea though). over the year i diligently save my portion and probably 80% or more of it goes towards hunting. more recently i've started slicing off some fractions of that remaining 20% to gamble with in the stock market.

point is, not only is it beans that my hobby money consists of it's purely fun money. at least it was beans until I sold an ETH to dump in GME like two weeks ago ;)
I mean I applied in Utah...

All good man, certainly didn’t mean to imply my way was better than your way.

From my perspective, the most important factor in wealth preservation/growth (besides time and a good tax strategy) is discipline. I wouldn’t trust myself to hold discipline if I treated some of my money with less than the rest of it. It’s slow and boring, but the data I’ve been exposed to shows that it works best.

well, maybe my other point that I wasn’t explicitly making is your way is basically the only smart way

what I’m doing is more akin to wllm applying in Utah.

but man, every now and then one of your options contracts spikes like +400% and boy that dopamine hit is worth it every time 😁

I went that route for a long time too, with most of my money sitting in VUG or similar. But when I got to the point where expenses were pretty easily covered, my wife and kids were well taken care of, it became more fun to see if I could make more with a little bit of the fluff on top. VUG made 38% this last year. That's great. But if you take a peak over on the Where's the bottom thread, you'll notice several people are killing that %. So we may be loose with our "research" but no one isn't taking this serious to some degree.

VUG made 38% this last year. That's great. But if you take a peak over on the Where's the bottom thread, you'll notice several people are killing that %.

I concede that point for sure, but I view those as outliers. How many are doing so over a 20+ year span?

Also, anonymous people online are often times full of shit🤥😀

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back