Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Recurve Shooting

Wow this thread started 20 years ago. It really represents traditional archery it just keeps on keeping on.
I started shooting bows in 1974 with a Darton takedown. Got a Muley Doe with it. Then went to a compound the next year and many years there after. Got a few deer and elk with the compounds. Then I got the bug again and ordered a Schaefer takedown in 1980. It took me a year and a half to work into that bow and be accurate. I was shooting it at 81 pounds. In 1982 I took it on a pack trip into the Bob Marshall and was able to take a 6x6 bull. That bull was and is a great memory. Oh by the way I used a glue on Bear razor head with insert and bleeder blade mounted on a Easton XX75 2219. I've taken more deer, elk and bear with a compound but this one was special.

Started hunting with recurve in 1978 with bear Kodiak. Shot lots of different bows, last couple have been Chastain bows out of colorado. Taken number of deer,elk, over years, but shoulder surgery has made me a rifle last few years.

Started hunting with recurve in 1978 with bear Kodiak. Shot lots of different bows, last couple have been Chastain bows out of colorado. Taken number of deer,elk, over years, but shoulder surgery has made me a rifle last few years.
Sorry to read that surgery forced you out of bow hunting. I am for the last 5-6 years fighting arthritis at the base of my left thumb, and it has caused me to have the bow in hand much less and it is hard to accept ! I am sure it must have been for you too !

Sorry to read that surgery forced you out of bow hunting. I am for the last 5-6 years fighting arthritis at the base of my left thumb, and it has caused me to have the bow in hand much less and it is hard to accept ! I am sure it must have been for you too !
At this point not as hard as it would of been . Hunting with my kids, and watching them have success makes every thing pale in comparison. Ok, but arthritis of the hand. That started 5 years ago and makes everything hard
Good luck.

Anyone here shoot traditional bows?? I bought a recurve this summer to shoot around with. If you think you'll like it don't buy one, it is very addicting, but boy is it fun. No sites, just pull'er back, point and let go. I think I could kill one out to ten yards right now. Heck, maybe I'll have yooper's range down by next fall!!!
wink.gif

2000?

This forum was around in 2000?

There's still something magical to me about launching arrows with a bent stick and string.
I agree. A friend of my parents taught me to shoot a longbow when I was about ten. I now have a Bear longbow and love to shoot it. When my son first started out successfully hunting with a rifle, he wanted to hunt with a bow. I bought him a new youth compound and I purchased a used PSE. 'Problem was that I could not use the sights, so just stripped them off and shot instinctively. The irony was that as I sat watching him bugle in a loud, thrashing, rutting herd bull, a nice six point satellite bull walked right past me and I arrowed him through the heart, jumped up and down vocally excited as the herd bull ran off to son's dismay!
As a National Archery in the Schools Program (NASP) certified instructor I have been teaching 4th - 8th grade students archery in the school gym with nice targets and Kevlar screen backstops. It is fun watching those kids develop technique and learn to successfully shoot instinctively.

Just picked up a custom recurve from a local Bowyer, and will eventually hunt with it. Going from the latest and greatest in compound bow tech to a stick and string seems backwards, but it's just fun! When it comes down to the expensive hunts, I'll bring the compound...for now.

Attachments

• 20210218_191203.jpg
    20210218_191203.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
Just picked up a custom recurve from a local Bowyer, and will eventually hunt with it. Going from the latest and greatest in compound bow tech to a stick and string seems backwards, but it's just fun! When it comes down to the expensive hunts, I'll bring the compound...for now.
I will make a little wager, that once it gets into your blood and you begin to appreciate what you can do with your recurve, the technical “stuff” will remain collecting dust !

I will make a little wager, that once it gets into your blood and you begin to appreciate what you can do with your recurve, the technical “stuff” will remain collecting dust !

Less than a year ago I spent an embarrassing amount of money on a flagship bow with all the bells and whistles. It shoots like you wouldn't believe but I quickly got bored with putting the dot on the target and watching the arrow go there. Guns do that. Shortly after the season last fall i got the trad bug and it bit me hard. I shoot the recurve every day while my dream bow collects dust. It's just plain fun to shoot trad gear! I'm definitely going after turkey this spring with the recurve, i'll see how it goes and where my confidence is going into the fall as to which weapon i take into the elk woods.

I started on a recurve. The first animal I took with a bow was with that recurve. Just a big stringy jack rabbit at about 15 yards. I was probably about 12 when I did that.

Yeah, so I've been told. It is fun to shoot, but I suck with it so far. If I'm confident with it when August rolls around I'll use it for deer season.

Most people tend to try and shoot a traditional bow in the same weight range as their compound. Does not work out very well for them. Buy a cheaper lighter draw weight bow and build the muscles and form. You can do this. Good luck.

Wow this thread started 20 years ago. It really represents traditional archery it just keeps on keeping on.
I started shooting bows in 1974 with a Darton takedown. Got a Muley Doe with it. Then went to a compound the next year and many years there after. Got a few deer and elk with the compounds. Then I got the bug again and ordered a Schaefer takedown in 1980. It took me a year and a half to work into that bow and be accurate. I was shooting it at 81 pounds. In 1982 I took it on a pack trip into the Bob Marshall and was able to take a 6x6 bull. That bull was and is a great memory. Oh by the way I used a glue on Bear razor head with insert and bleeder blade mounted on a Easton XX75 2219. I've taken more deer, elk and bear with a compound but this one was special.
Maybe you should bring that bow to Raton this year. On the other hand. I'll collapse both shoulders on an 81 lb bow. Get a light weight one and bring it. If you do, tell me and I'll bring mine, and a target.

Last four deer I shot with traditional were all within 10 yards, two were within 4 yds. Makes you hunt and damn it is exciting. Sit in a cornfield two or three rows back from the edge along a waterway. Make sure you have a hole to see them coming and then one in the kill zone.

Used to shoot recurve quite a bit. Been a good 10 years. Never shot a compound (not seriously). Never shot an animal, either.

Got a Bear Grizzly 50lb draw 3 months back, but just just starting shooting this week. My groups arent as tight at 15 yards as mtmiller's, but it is coming back.

IMG_4700.jpg

Only had to use the maul to retrieve points from that stump twice thus far. 🤪

Intent to seriously hunt with it this season. No elk, most likely, for a couple reasons, but archery antelope and hopefully a couple whitetail on my property.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back