Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Recurve Shooting

Squirrel can I ask your aiming method?
Yes but my answer is embarrassing, I put a pin sight on it. My instinctive shooting has always been extremely good, at extremely short range (carp shooting @<5 yards). I have never been worth a shit at instinctive shooting, and at my age this is highly unlikely to change.

All I have ever gotten with a recurve is a bighorn ram. I would really like to get him a white buddy. (He is small /@ 5/8-3/4) I know so many guys who take a rifle... "just in case" on a big hunt. Never have I known one to kill with his bow, usually on the first morning the rifle is picked up, just human nature I guess.

I have to assume if I take the compound along on my adventure it will be the same, crutches are addictive... gotta burn those bridges behind ya for motivation.

Right now fighting two major battles. Recurve aversion syndrome, and battle of the mid-section bulge. So far winning both with groups and belly both shrinking. Groups by half, and belly by 23# with 7 weeks to go. The sight of another salad is revolting about now...

Recurves interest me. I just haven’t gotten into it yet. I sold all my compound gear after I fell out of love with it. If I ever get back into archery hunting it will be traditional. Not to be a better than everybody else type but because it’s what interests me in the archery world.

Squirrel it’s ok imo if you use a sight, gap shooting is the same as using a sight. Only the degree of hold under changes. Crawling and walking are other ways to help you, a sight should cover things though. Just be sure and anchor the same each time and release although not talked about as an issue is a big variable. Everything must be the same. A compound take us out of the equation with all of the equipment. You can be pretty consistent though without it. If you need help or ideas with something you could always ask.

I have hunted for the past 6 years with a recurve and finally broke down and replaced my 1968 Shakespeare Super Necedah with a custom Sauk Trail Spirit. Living in Montana now I had to get another compound for those distant shots but still prefer my recurve. It's addictive and in the archery world its a separate world of its own. if you are having trouble on sighting check out Clay Hayes with Twisted Stave, he has a video on sighting that i have found to be awesome.

I was catching myself getting out less to shoot the compound. I guess it was getting less attractive as it was getting easier. I don't know. But I got a used Big Jim Bow and placed an order for a Toelke as well. I am excited to get started on this journy

Nice. I got lucky and had only about a five month wait. I enjoy flinging a few arrows every night with the longbow. I haven't had the same passion with the compound in a long time.
That thing looks nice. Is it your first longbow or have you been in that area for a while now?

Beautiful bow. I absolutely love the simplicity of traditional. This is my Sauk Trail Spirit 48#@29". Osage orange riser with Brazilian rosewood limbs. Shooting 175fps with a 655gr hunting arrow

Attachments

• received_279120103194647.jpeg
    received_279120103194647.jpeg
    638.5 KB · Views: 18
Squirrel it’s ok imo if you use a sight, gap shooting is the same as using a sight. Only the degree of hold under changes. Crawling and walking are other ways to help you, a sight should cover things though. Just be sure and anchor the same each time and release although not talked about as an issue is a big variable. Everything must be the same. A compound take us out of the equation with all of the equipment. You can be pretty consistent though without it. If you need help or ideas with something you could always ask.
People have put sights on recurves since forever. Its traditional. Working around it seems like a lot of effort to achieve a more fashionable appearance without really being different.

I shoot instinctively because I prefer it. Funny thing is when I talk to gap or split vision shooters who have done it a long time they've obviously become so comfortable with it they have pretty much slipped into shooting instinctively.

Hoping to get back into recurve hunting is it ok to use a release I remember my fingers hurting alot.

Hoping to get back into recurve hunting is it ok to use a release I remember my fingers hurting alot.
No you may not. It is one of the 10 commandments of traditional shooting, "Thou shalt not use a release aide". It is in between "Ensure thine FOC is extreme" and "Though shalt shoot only off the shelf".

All kidding aside, I don't see why you couldn't. It might be a little interesting setting up your knocking points depending on your aiming method. Out of curiosity what did you shoot before? I have always had a little bit of an issue with finger gloves. I switched to a tab and it has been awesome.

A release on a recurve really isn’t right. Commonly you cant the bow as the window is built differently. I’ve never tried it do it’s only a guess but you’d be torqueing your wrist.
My first thought was tell ya to drink milk brother! Just kidding, were you shooting a super short bow? A super heavy one or ungloved?
Supposedly, I’m not for sure on this and I know not one person it ever happened to but it’s said you can get nerve damage from shooting bare fingers. Just an FYI marriage causes nerve damage to your ears. Be advised.
I typically use a glove but I know guys just tape the fingers.

Last edited:
I currently have two bows a carbon fiber limb ILF rig, and a reflex deflex longbow.

Longbow is and old mountain Mesa from three rivers. Only 300$ and they tested several to get me one at the right poundage for my draw length (50#@30"). Can't say enough on their customer service and it shoots great. Definitely recommend for a first or second bow

We moved this year and I had four days for my ewe bighorn tag, wish I would have brought the recurve. Ended up getting my ewe at 35 yards with the rifle...

I shoot instinctive closer and switch to gap further out. I think I reference the arrow left right up close as well.

20211208_162640.jpg
20210930_110507.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back