PEAX Equipment

Recurve Shooting

I started out this summer with an area 14 Nevada archery deer tag in my pocket. I never took out the compound bow. I practiced all summer with my recurve.

I hunted opening day then had to go back to work. Then got COVID.

I put my bow away when I got home from the hospital. Season was a bust, but I was glad to be alive.

I broke out the bow last night and put it back together. A couple dry pulls and it became clear to me I was not in the shape I was pre COVID-19.

I got 8 shots in this morning. And I was done. I shot at 10 yards and shot well, so I still have the instinct.
My goal is a deer with my recurve. There are less than 8 months until August 10th.

Archery hunts are all that will be on my deer app in 2022.

Redemption...

Well I suffered a relapse under self induced pressure on the goat tag and ended up using the compound... no excuses except moral weakness. Used the recurve as a back up to the compound on Kansas w/t after said compound dropped from my lap and broke the biscuit upon landing. Doe only season starts on 1-1 and Im thinking that the recurve is a perfect fit. Grasping at straws here to redeem myself after my epic collapse in goat country!

Don't give up and stick to what feels best. I hunted this season with a compound for the first time in 6 years. Moved to Montana and thought I need the distance a compound offers. I was wrong. I am selling or trading the compound and going to stick with my recurve which I absolutely love. Traditional is the best archery way in my opinion.

I shoot recurve recreationally. I have harvested deer with them and the longbow in the past. I did not practice much this year with the recurve and hunted with the compound. I shot two nice bucks with the compound this year. Both were close and fast shooting. A recurve would have been a better fit at 8 and 14 yds. I just got an old Howatt Diablo for myself for Christmas. I'm refinishing it and plan to shoot league with it this winter and see if I can stick with a recurve next fall.

I shoot recurve recreationally. I have harvested deer with them and the longbow in the past. I did not practice much this year with the recurve and hunted with the compound. I shot two nice bucks with the compound this year. Both were close and fast shooting. A recurve would have been a better fit at 8 and 14 yds. I just got an old Howatt Diablo for myself for Christmas. I'm refinishing it and plan to shoot league with it this winter and see if I can stick with a recurve next fall.
Those Howatt Diablos were great bows! Had one for a good while; traded it for the last Black Widow the Wilson Brothers made, a metal riser takedown. Not as esthetic, but man, it was fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
I broke out the Martin Dreamcatcher a month ago, strung her up and shot some old XX78 super slams I used 25 years ago for indoor Techo Hunt. I purchased the Dreamcatcher back in 1997, used it in 1998, missed a really nice buck at 18 yards on the ground, and went back to a compound. It wasn't the bows fault. Now that I am older (going on 48) I want to once again get back into it.

I ordered some new Gold Tip Classics and today I plan on busting out the Blitzberger clamp and fletching them up.

What amazes me is how dang quiet those recurves are. I need to order a new string just because and then it is shooting every day in the yard.

Howatt Hunter #45, I like that it’s a local bow from here in the PNW before Martin bought him out. I shoot carbon arrows off the shelf, so it’s not true trad.

I broke out the Martin Dreamcatcher a month ago, strung her up and shot some old XX78 super slams I used 25 years ago for indoor Techo Hunt. I purchased the Dreamcatcher back in 1997, used it in 1998, missed a really nice buck at 18 yards on the ground, and went back to a compound. It wasn't the bows fault. Now that I am older (going on 48) I want to once again get back into it.

I ordered some new Gold Tip Classics and today I plan on busting out the Blitzberger clamp and fletching them up.

What amazes me is how dang quiet those recurves are. I need to order a new string just because and then it is shooting every day in the yard.
Similar situation, but I have 1.5 years on you.

After a 15 year traditional hiatus, I'm back on the recurve.

The bow is a Wapiti by Chastain. 60 lb at 28". Fletched some Classics 300s in pink and white and started flipping sticks on New Years Day.

I'm beyond bad, even at 10 yards.

Being short armed, it really affects your power and speed with a bow, especially a recurve. I shoot gold tip trad 600's with a 100 gr insert to get good flight and have enough KE to penetrate things. 42# @ 28 isnt so much at 26". Its still the form that matters the most. Taught myself with way too heavy of bow at a young age. Those bad habits developed are hard to overcome but can be done. Its definitely not like a compound where you can tune it and get proficient with it and then let it lay aside for a period of time and pick back up where you were. You get out of it what you put in to it. Practicing a small amount everyday is not a bad idea.

Similar situation, but I have 1.5 years on you.

After a 15 year traditional hiatus, I'm back on the recurve.

The bow is a Wapiti by Chastain. 60 lb at 28". Fletched some Classics 300s in pink and white and started flipping sticks on New Years Day.

I'm beyond bad, even at 10 yards.
Bow is too heavy I’d think. Can’t get better if everything is inconsistent. Gotta reach same exact anchor, release the same, etc. A compound takes all of the person out of the bow with the equipment. A styk is the opposite. Everything we do is a direct cause of us. What aim method do you use? If you want help post a video of you shooting.
You could pm me as well if you’d like.

Bow is too heavy I’d think. Can’t get better if everything is inconsistent. Gotta reach same exact anchor, release the same, etc. A compound takes all of the person out of the bow with the equipment. A styk is the opposite. Everything we do is a direct cause of us. What aim method do you use? If you want help post a video of you shooting.
You could pm me as well if you’d like.
Thanks for the help.

It's definitely my inconsistent anchor. I randomly go into muscle memory and switch to compound anchor and end up shooting left.

The draw weight is not a problem, even in her 70's, my mother is stronger than most collegiate linebackers. True story.

Thanks for the help.

It's definitely my inconsistent anchor. I randomly go into muscle memory and switch to compound anchor and end up shooting left.

The draw weight is not a problem, my mother is stronger than most collegiate linebackers. True story.
Are you familiar with string bows? It allows you to practice form. Redevelop muscle new memory. You’d consistently relearn an anchor, release whatever it is.
I’m still thinking at 10 yards something else could be hurting you. If in time you feel the need offer always open.

Are you familiar with string bows? It allows you to practice form. Redevelop muscle new memory. You’d consistently relearn an anchor, release whatever it is.
I’m still thinking at 10 yards something else could be hurting you. If in time you feel the need offer always open.
I am familiar with string bows.

I just need practice. To be honest, I thought it would come right back to me, but progress is much slower than expected.

I need to slow down the draw and focus, and enjoy the flight of the arrow.

I am familiar with string bows.

I just need practice. To be honest, I thought it would come right back to me, but progress is much slower than expected.

I need to slow down the draw and focus, and enjoy the flight of the arrow.
The flight of the arrow is awesome. Good luck bud.

i do use a recurve ,not to hunt with. the bow is used at the club on monday nights .more of a male bonding thing and something to do in the winter .

this recurve might be the coolest bow ever.

Traditional shooter here. 28 years now I think. Started after 2 seasons of shooting a barebow compound thinking it was heavy to lug around. Still loving it and recently got into building selfbows. My pic is the latest creation, rawhide backed osage static 66" 50#@28". Planning to use it for turkey in May, a mix of run n gun and blind sitting. If it holds together thru the summer I'll hunt with it here in Michigan's deer season this fall. Good shooting!

Love a good recurve and long bow. I even started making them and got my kid shooting traditional. Making them almost seems more addictive than shoot them.

I own two Black Widows and have not done them justice, I’ve barely shot and never hunted with them. All of a sudden, the bug is biting. I shoot a 70# Mathews compound normally and it’s a big adjustment! I’m finding out I’m currently too weak to effectively use a 58# recurve but am doing better with my 49#. I will kill a deer this year with the trad bow, or at least give it a proper go.

Planned to shoot grouse pics tonight, but it was overcast and I felt like crap. Took a quick nap and looked outside to see spectacular light, crap. Decided to throw a few arrows down range despite my displeasure.

Broadhead precision was there, but not so much on accuracy.

Attachments

• arrow.jpg
    arrow.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 4
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back