Leupold Banner

Recurve Shooting

Dan O

Wow this thread started 20 years ago. It really represents traditional archery it just keeps on keeping on.
I started shooting bows in 1974 with a Darton takedown. Got a Muley Doe with it. Then went to a compound the next year and many years there after. Got a few deer and elk with the compounds. Then I got the bug again and ordered a Schaefer takedown in 1980. It took me a year and a half to work into that bow and be accurate. I was shooting it at 81 pounds. In 1982 I took it on a pack trip into the Bob Marshall and was able to take a 6x6 bull. That bull was and is a great memory. Oh by the way I used a glue on Bear razor head with insert and bleeder blade mounted on a Easton XX75 2219. I've taken more deer, elk and bear with a compound but this one was special.

jejack26

Started hunting with recurve in 1978 with bear Kodiak. Shot lots of different bows, last couple have been Chastain bows out of colorado. Taken number of deer,elk, over years, but shoulder surgery has made me a rifle last few years.

Bowhunter999

Started hunting with recurve in 1978 with bear Kodiak. Shot lots of different bows, last couple have been Chastain bows out of colorado. Taken number of deer,elk, over years, but shoulder surgery has made me a rifle last few years.
Sorry to read that surgery forced you out of bow hunting. I am for the last 5-6 years fighting arthritis at the base of my left thumb, and it has caused me to have the bow in hand much less and it is hard to accept ! I am sure it must have been for you too !

jejack26

Sorry to read that surgery forced you out of bow hunting. I am for the last 5-6 years fighting arthritis at the base of my left thumb, and it has caused me to have the bow in hand much less and it is hard to accept ! I am sure it must have been for you too !
At this point not as hard as it would of been . Hunting with my kids, and watching them have success makes every thing pale in comparison. Ok, but arthritis of the hand. That started 5 years ago and makes everything hard
Good luck.

shb

Anyone here shoot traditional bows?? I bought a recurve this summer to shoot around with. If you think you'll like it don't buy one, it is very addicting, but boy is it fun. No sites, just pull'er back, point and let go. I think I could kill one out to ten yards right now. Heck, maybe I'll have yooper's range down by next fall!!!
wink.gif

2000?

This forum was around in 2000?

Straight Arrow

There's still something magical to me about launching arrows with a bent stick and string.
I agree. A friend of my parents taught me to shoot a longbow when I was about ten. I now have a Bear longbow and love to shoot it. When my son first started out successfully hunting with a rifle, he wanted to hunt with a bow. I bought him a new youth compound and I purchased a used PSE. 'Problem was that I could not use the sights, so just stripped them off and shot instinctively. The irony was that as I sat watching him bugle in a loud, thrashing, rutting herd bull, a nice six point satellite bull walked right past me and I arrowed him through the heart, jumped up and down vocally excited as the herd bull ran off to son's dismay!
As a National Archery in the Schools Program (NASP) certified instructor I have been teaching 4th - 8th grade students archery in the school gym with nice targets and Kevlar screen backstops. It is fun watching those kids develop technique and learn to successfully shoot instinctively.

Trbrincefield

Just picked up a custom recurve from a local Bowyer, and will eventually hunt with it. Going from the latest and greatest in compound bow tech to a stick and string seems backwards, but it's just fun! When it comes down to the expensive hunts, I'll bring the compound...for now.

Attachments

• 20210218_191203.jpg
    20210218_191203.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kwazar63