Recommended Reading ?

Trigger50

Looking to bring a book or 2 to read on our archery elk hunt. Gonna need something to pass the time if I'm watching trails or water holes. Any recommendations ? I've never read any of Leopold's writings.

Jim Corbett's books on the man eating tigers and leopards of Kumaon (India) are pretty good. I'm in the middle of one now. Some of the stories have cost me a lot of sleep. Shooting tigers at arms length sure makes anything I've done look pretty boring. I think he has about 4 or 5 books. Man Eaters of Kumaon is the first I believe.

I am currently about half-way through reading One Man's Wilderness - An Alaskan Odyssey, about Dick Proenekke's life in Alaska. I'd definitely recommend it.

Hunt for Justice, Weatherby, the man the myth the gun, and the Nosler book about John Nosler's road to developing the most successful hunting bullet the partition.

Well, if you've never read Leopold, better read A Sand County Almanac. I've been pushing Tiger by John Valliant. It's like Jim Corbett's tiger hunts, but in Siberia in modern times. True story and one hell of a read.

I have never read in the field. Do you do a routine that you look around every 20 minutes.

I have spent many of boring days on the point of a draw. Do you not think you will miss some movement?

Just curious!

I actually dont read alot in the stand. But this is a 2 week bowhunt & I'm gonna hunt hard. So I plan on many "all dayers". When I do read I usually read 1 page & then look around. Plus....if I tag out early....I still have 2 friends w tags so I might have some downtime, even when I'm doing some setups & calling for them.

Last edited:
GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back