Caribou Gear

Recent photo work

mtlion

I recently took the plunge and decided to switch careers and go full time with my photography. For over the last 10 years I've either been training or working as an ecologist or biologist if you prefer. I've been at it full time for a couple months and hope to be selling my first photos to a magazine in the next couple weeks. Anyway take a look and let me know what you think. I should have a web site up in the next month and will have prints available. Edit: I think the image quality is better if viewed from the Flickr link.

Cooper's hawk (Accipiter cooperii) by Ryan Richards Photography, on Flickr

Bighorn sheep ewe (Ovis canadensis) by Ryan Richards Photography, on Flickr

Canada geese by Ryan Richards Photography, on Flickr

Missouri Headwaters State Park--Morning mist. by Ryan Richards Photography, on Flickr

Golden Eagle (Aquila chrysaetos) by Ryan Richards Photography, on Flickr

Living the dream. Good luck with venture. Those are some nice pictures

Thanks all. I have a facebook page, I don't know if Randy frowns on posting links to those but if you want to friend me I can send you an invite. Look for Ryan Richards in Billings, MT. I shoot as much as I can usually 3 or 4 days a week and try to post at least a pic a day if I'm not out. Thanks again!

Very nice pics! Do you do any Photoshop editing or are these the 'original' pictures? I love the first one of the hawk.

Very nice pics! Do you do any Photoshop editing or are these the 'original' pictures? I love the first one of the hawk.

Thank you! If there's one thing that turns me off on a lot of people's work it's over processing. I use the bare minimum which is more or less analogous to properly exposing film. Pro (and semi-pro) cameras give the option to shoot in RAW format. When a camera produces a JPEG image it internally processes the RAW data into a fully "developed" photo. So a tiny computer chip inside the camera assesses the scene and lighting and sets a white balance for the photo. You'll notice a lot of times with point and shoot photos they look nothing like the scene your eye sees, colors and tones are wrong or most often very flat. That's because the chip will average everything and therefore produces an average image. So I shoot RAW and set white balance myself and adjust exposure if needed. More detailed processing is needed to make prints due to the difference between computer screens and output from commercial printers but the above is all I do. If it takes more than that I didn't nail it in the field.

Very cool! I got into photography in the last couple of years. It is a blast! Good luck with your new career. It should be fun, and it looks like you're off to a great start!

Back