Caribou Gear

RCBS presses

I actually don't want to reload, but I've got a tikka 270 that has proven to hate all OTC ammo. It literally put out a 7" group with Nosler Trophy grade, 5" with Barnes, 3-5" with CoreLoks, Federal, and Winchester Super X. I found one handload with 130 accubonds and H4350 that got close to 1.5". Thankfully a few guys on here have sent me additional recommendations, I just need to get my own stuff to make it happen. I'm literally getting anxiety over not having an accurate rifle.

Sound's to me like a problem with the rifle, probably bedding. Just cannot imagine any rifle these days doing that bad with factory ammo!

Yep. If your gun doesn't shoot any factory ammo within 2 inches there has to be something going on with it. A 7" group is horrendous with any rifle.

So... I'm not big on paying people to do things for me, so I started looking into bedding, both glass and pillar. Seems pretty simple and alleviate a lot of poor shooting issues. I'll caveat that I'm not actually that handy and have never worked on my own gun in any way except cleaning. Is this a do-able DIY or is it money well spent on a gunsmith? Seems like I could spend a couple hundred on a smith pretty quick, which it half the cost of a new rifle.

So... I'm not big on paying people to do things for me, so I started looking into bedding, both glass and pillar. Seems pretty simple and alleviate a lot of poor shooting issues. I'll caveat that I'm not actually that handy and have never worked on my own gun in any way except cleaning. Is this a do-able DIY or is it money well spent on a gunsmith? Seems like I could spend a couple hundred on a smith pretty quick, which it half the cost of a new rifle.

I think bedding is easy. I've done both skim bedding and pillar bedding. Google "Stress Free Pillar Bedding". It's my go to reference article. Use Devcon, take your time.

I did my own last fall. Used JB weld and it's held up to a few hundred rounds in a walnut stock. I can't say it improved my group sizes at all... but it was a fun learning experience.

Have you checked your scope bases and scope?

I've used a rock chucker for the last 15 years, no problems. You can buy a kit to change it over to the Hornady locknload collet system. It's been one of the best investments I've made, makes changing dies super easy and fast. I think the Partner Press is just a less robust, smaller, cheaper press. Rock chucker is sturdy and I suspect it will last longer than me.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back