RCBS presses

Irrelevant

Edit: how in the heck did that cut off my thought.... or how did I complete stop mid-sentence and move on to something else!

So I've done a bit of reloading over the last 3-4 years, but I've always used other peoples equipment. Trying to coordinate and drive over to other people's garages is getting old, I'm ready to get my own. Looking at presses, I really like the RCBS, but what's the difference between the Rock Chucker and the Parnter presses.

Last edited:
You can't go wrong with the rock chucker, its reasonably priced and will do anything you want to do, you got to change out dies and that can get a little old but if you are just reloading for hunting it will serve you well. I have one but I'm looking to change to a Forster co-ax.

I am still using my Rockchucker kit I bought at Bob Wards in 1998. Great stuff

Been using my Rockchucker since about 1992? Before that I used an RCBS Jr I got used about 1970? Have never had a problem with either. I believe for what I do I can get by very well with any brand single stage press. Other than shotgun's, I tried a progressive press, couldn't get along with it at all and sold it. Godd press too, Dillion Sq Deal. Sure it was me and not the press.

Thanks for the laughs this morning guys! I was looking at getting a used one on Ebay, but even the used ones are pretty spendy (at least the Rock Chucker).

I'd been using an old Pacific press my Dad gave me - and always thought I would upgrade. Last fall I picked up an older RCBS Rockchucker at an auction, it was in a box with a bunch of other loading stuff. Works great.

I learned on a RCBS Rockchucker as a teenager. Nothing wrong with those at all. However, I recently got back into reloading after a long absence and I bought a Hornady classic press. The only reason I bought the Hornady is that I really liked the idea of the lock n load system. After using the Hornady for about 6 months now, I love it. It is so handy to swap out dies in a matter of seconds.

I really like my Lee Challenger press. No experience with anything else but it's cheap and reliable for me. I've loaded over 1500 rounds at this point and it seems to be just fine. I would imagine that you could probably get just the press used for fairly cheap.

I’ve had one Rockchucker for 35 years and the other for 20 years and see no reason to change. Solid workhorses have loaded .223 to 300 RUM.

I'd been using an old Pacific press my Dad gave me - and always thought I would upgrade. Last fall I picked up an older RCBS Rockchucker at an auction, it was in a box with a bunch of other loading stuff. Works great.
I've got an ancient blue Pacific, a RCBS Rockchucker and a Partner. They all work great I have no favorites.

I've got an ancient blue Pacific, a RCBS Rockchucker and a Partner. They all work great I have no favorites.
If you have both the Rockchucker and the Partner what's the difference? I had a helluva time trying to sort that out on their website. Cost is the only thing I could tell.

Don't go down that reloading path, you'll get sucked in!
Years ago my sons bought me a Rockchucker for Christmas and it has served us well. I thought it would be a good way to save $ on premium ammo ..... and it is ..... except for the fact that shooting volume went up so much. I got bored back around New Year's and went through the reloading log, we loaded 12,952 rounds across that press in 2018.

If you have both the Rockchucker and the Partner what's the difference? I had a helluva time trying to sort that out on their website. Cost is the only thing I could tell.
Not much difference. The Rockchucker is a bit more heavy duty and a bit taller, so it's easier to load magnums. The Partner is to the Rockchucker what the Chargemaster Lite is to the Chargemaster. Built a bit cheaper to sell for less. I got both of mine years ago when a sports shop owner retired and had a fire sale on everything.

Don't go down that reloading path, you'll get sucked in!
Years ago my sons bought me a Rockchucker for Christmas and it has served us well. I thought it would be a good way to save $ on premium ammo ..... and it is ..... except for the fact that shooting volume went up so much. I got bored back around New Year's and went through the reloading log, we loaded 12,952 rounds across that press in 2018.
I actually don't want to reload, but I've got a tikka 270 that has proven to hate all OTC ammo. It literally put out a 7" group with Nosler Trophy grade, 5" with Barnes, 3-5" with CoreLoks, Federal, and Winchester Super X. I found one handload with 130 accubonds and H4350 that got close to 1.5". Thankfully a few guys on here have sent me additional recommendations, I just need to get my own stuff to make it happen. I'm literally getting anxiety over not having an accurate rifle.

Not to hijack your thread, but have you decided between a single stage or progressive? I went cheap and bought a single stage Lee which I am very happy with the performance on, but I do wish that I would've ponied up the cash for a progressive.

I got a new Rockchucker last year on sale at Academy Sports. No regrets, it’s “rock solid”. I’m not sure theres any disadvantage with the dies if you use a locking collar. You screw them to the same point each time. My Forster dies came with collars. Hornady sells the collars in package of 3 for $19. The partner is a lot lighter and probably has a bit of flex to it as compared to some of the other heavier units. Cheers.

Not to hijack your thread, but have you decided between a single stage or progressive? I went cheap and bought a single stage Lee which I am very happy with the performance on, but I do wish that I would've ponied up the cash for a progressive.
I just want to go single stage. I was looking at lee, but I wanted to stay with one brand, and I already have a bunch of RCBS components and dies. Just not the actual press (or powder scale).

Back