Caribou Gear Tarp

Rattlesnakes

Muskeez

Who's been bitten and how bad was it?
Who carries a snake bite "kit" in known rattlesnake country during warm weather?
Recommendations I've seen include getting yourself to a hospital ASAP and not to over-exert yourself. Well when you are 3 miles back in the hills neither are realistic.

Saw a snake my first huntin trip there near Newcastle in about 1987 and have not seen one since.

Last edited:
I probably should carry a snake bite kit as I see them frequently...but I do not.

snake bite kits that are sold at the store are literally the form of snake oil...study done a few years ago using mock venom said yes the sucking can remove some bloody fluid however did not remove any of the venom. Tourniquets are also not recommended.

Take off all jewelry...sit down and assess the situation. Get back to town as quickly as possible without getting your heart rate too high. That sounds like a tough thing to do and since I've never been bit I don't know how to do that. Garmin InReach would be my go to answer

I used to carry one but it's lost somewhere in the maze that used to be our back garage,but is now a nightmare
of junk.See Snakes all the time when I go to the lake...Yummmy!:cool:

I used to carry one but it's lost somewhere in the maze that used to be our back garage,but is now a nightmare
of junk.See Snakes all the time when I go to the lake...Yummmy!:cool:

I have a couple prairie rattlers I tanned myself, but I want a Western on my wall....

I was not bit but did have one strike my pant leg, and scare me half to death. I have seen them a few times in hunting season and several times while fishing. I even had one try and get in the boat with me while on Pathfinder lake. They tend to try and get away rather than hold their ground and strike unless you push them. I do not carry a snake kit but because my lab got bit 5 times by the same snake we get the snake bite shots now.

I was not bit but did have one strike my pant leg, and scare me half to death. I have seen them a few times in hunting season and several times while fishing. I even had one try and get in the boat with me while on Pathfinder lake. They tend to try and get away rather than hold their ground and strike unless you push them. I do not carry a snake kit but because my lab got bit 5 times by the same snake we get the snake bite shots now.

Can you elaborate on the snake bite shots? Thanks

Our dogs get the snake bite vaccine/booster every spring. Supposed to slow the effect of the venom and give you more time to get them to the vet after they’ve been bitten.

I get rattled at 3-4 times per year, but haven’t had one strike at me yet. Don’t carry any kind of kit. I know one person who lost a dog to snake bite, but don’t think I know a person who has been bitten.

Vaccine Characteristics
The rattlesnake vaccine, produced by Red Rock Biologics, is specifically designed to produce antibodies against the venom of the western diamondback rattlesnake. The vaccine may also be effective against other snakes with similar venom, such as the sidewinder, timber rattlesnake, and copperhead. The vaccine does not protect against the venom of water moccasins or coral snakes.
The vaccine works by creating protective antibodies that help neutralize venom, so dogs experience less pain and swelling after a snake bite. Dogs that are bitten may also require less antivenin, which can be fairly costly and may produce side effects. Factors that can influence the effectiveness of the vaccine include the location of the bite, the type of snake, and the amount of venom injected.
Recommended Schedule
While your veterinarian is always in the best position to advise you on individual vaccination decisions, some guidelines are on offer for dogs at risk of rattlesnake envenomation:
After the first vaccination the dog should receive a booster approximately one month later, followed by annual boosters in the spring before peak rattlesnake season. The vaccine’s protective effect is most evident four to six weeks after vaccination, and declines over time. Dogs that are exposed to rattlesnakes for more than six months of the year may require boosters twice a year.

three snake stories that I immediately recalled

1. my grandfather was very upset at me when I was little girl and killed a king snake ---they help keep rattlesnake's and rodent's out of the barn.
2. I remember a fellow asking my dad "what is the hardest part about Coues deer hunting and he said "not getting bit by a rattlesnake"
3. On our first trip to Africa they were going through some Safari do an dont's and after telling us about the Black Mambo I said, "what do we do if bitten?" and without smiling he said "you die!"

My terrier got bitten by what they surmise was a small one in the back yard (we didn't see it but I would bet he was nosing around the wood pile). We only realized he had been bitten because he was lethargic and limping. Took him to the vet who said at that point no need for antivenin. I guess the little bugger is pretty tough :)

snake bite kits that are sold at the store are literally the form of snake oil...study done a few years ago using mock venom said yes the sucking can remove some bloody fluid however did not remove any of the venom. Tourniquets are also not recommended.

Take off all jewelry...sit down and assess the situation. Get back to town as quickly as possible without getting your heart rate too high. That sounds like a tough thing to do and since I've never been bit I don't know how to do that. Garmin InReach would be my go to answer
As a person that cares for captive timber rattlesnakes and does continuing Education courses for the surrounding hospitals and emt’s this information is spot on!
I would add to mark the envenomation site and time, and keep at or below heart level for a rattlesnake. DO NOT TRY TO IDENTIFY OR CATCH THE SNAKE. All pit viper envenomations are treated with CroFab and all venemois snakes in US are pit vipers except coral snakes. Demand that the Dr notify poison control, and do not always trust the Dr. seek the opinion of a dr who specializes in envenomations.

What a bunch of fun haters.:D I can't wait to shoot some with my new lens. Mediocre shot here.
19547069044_59a6f1e156_h.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back