Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Couple days in the back country.

HandgunHunter

It’s that time of year when I begin my big game scouting. I pour through maps, look at overhead photos, and dig through Game and Fish data….but nothing replaces getting out there.

59172D60-85C2-4764-8315-8732594AF231.jpeg

My main goal when scouting the back country on foot is to find my water sources, camp sites, and glassing points. I do not expect to focus on finding game since they will be in a different location come hunting season.
51EC8E41-7ECE-480E-B9AD-99759C788B32.jpeg

There is something special about getting into land that man hasn’t altered. It’s nice to not see a building, car, or power line. It’s just you, the miles, and the critters.

71DD5BE7-7AA6-4621-94C3-1C4E97B1CC04.jpeg

This trip also incorporated trying out some new equipment. A new solo tent, sleeping pad, holster, and cooking equipment.
2D14B654-E6F3-402C-835E-35A1643A7E1D.jpeg
The solo tent was a huge improvement over a bivi sack that I had used in the past. The ability to sit up and get dressed inside was great.

The cooking equipment is also a go. The new larger pot and other small items was added so I could stop eating the bagged meals….I’d rather make my own and know what’s in there.

A2B4ECC3-8830-42D4-9B0A-966530F7964B.jpeg
The holster was a custom holster by Lance Nixon. The holster is designed to drop the gun below the belt line so it does not interfere with the pack belt. The holster carried extremely well and worked as designed. Two thumbs up!

There was a great bonus to this trip. I grew up groundhog hunting in my home state of Virginia. Here in the western states we have a cousin to those critters called rock chucks. Once we approached 9000 feet (we started at 6300) we began to see burrows around the area. Eventually we spotted some rock chucks on a large rock formation. I knew there was a reason I packed the xp100 pistol and a handful of rounds!
38148558-DA1F-4B23-915F-D4E1B2410681.jpeg
Three rock chucks were taken with one not disappearing into the rocks. (The Nixon holster can also be seen in the photo.

B92FB4D9-4B21-4B8D-93D9-2F6D7EB19321.jpeg

Now for the motivational talk….

I constantly hear from people saying “they want to hunt the wilderness one day”, or “I don’t think I physically can”, and statements about the cost/time/waiting until retirement.

Let’s start with the easy one….

Money,time,waiting until retirement…if you are waiting until retirement…….tomorrow is never promised.

I had a couple life changing experiences during previous jobs to include combat, illness from combat, being run over by a drunk when I was a cop, and more……waiting until retirement or putting off your personal goals just can’t be an excuse. Everyone knows someone who passed away way too early and never got to complete their goals.

Money and time can be wrapped into one….you are selling a portion of your life to an employer who will advertise your job before your obituary is printed….make the time and don’t burden yourself with so much debt that you can’t enjoy life. Financial health is just as important as physical health…..

“I don’t physically think I can”

This one gets personal….and I don’t like to drag out my personal issues….and I do not want pity. This is simply the best way to get you over your excuse…….

First you have to have the true desire to go….many don’t and are just looking for a way out.

I take my time covering the miles and climbing the elevation and I can get it done despite having major lung issues from my time in Iraq. As well as joint issues from service to include knee, feet, and hips.

As you can tell from the pictures I am no track star or physical specimen anymore….my USMC infantry days are behind me. But I WANT to be out there and I make it happen. Sure it may take me more time to get there…but I love every second of it….

In short…..stop making excuses and get out there….the wilderness awaits!

Attachments

• 1B425767-BD8C-4838-A22B-9E0DDF07EFD3.jpeg
    1B425767-BD8C-4838-A22B-9E0DDF07EFD3.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 12
Gorgeous country and great post! I hunted the wilderness areas pretty exclusively since 2015 and I absolutely love it. Since I live out east I truly cherish the time I spend in the mountains. And being 46 this year it isn't getting any easier to keep training, keep weight off, etc... but I still will do it cause that's what I love.

I also have upgraded gear in the past couple years and I agree it sure feels good when it works out.

Well written essay and pics. Most of my back country enjoyment is brought to me by my horse. My wife on her mule are always with me. We are not young but we want to go and so far we can make it happen. Life is a trail not a camp.

I've been waiting for the snow to melt in my hunting area and its finally about time to start getting into the backcountry as well.

If I can help motivate just one person who is on the fence about going into hard to hunt country I have completed my goal.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back