Caribou Gear Tarp

Rate this deer country

Paul in Idaho

In a recent post I talked about how my desert hunting background is causing problems for me as I try to hunt central Idaho.

Here are some photos from where I hunted last week. Please post your thoughts about the quality of this area for holding bucks. They weren't there last week, but I found a lot of indication deer live there part of the year. Possibly just winter range, as I found one good matched set of sheds plus a single smaller 4-point antler

This area was in the 6000-7000+ elevation range, surrounded by ridges that went up around 9,000 feet. There was a large creek within a mile of each of these photos, with aspens and poplars around it and in the lower draws.

Attachments

• deer-country1.jpg
    deer-country1.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 532
  • deer-country2.jpg
    deer-country2.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 535
  • deer-country3.jpg
    deer-country3.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 537
  • deer-country4.jpg
    deer-country4.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 534
  • deer-country5.jpg
    deer-country5.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 539
  • deer-country6.jpg
    deer-country6.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 539
  • deer-country7.jpg
    deer-country7.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 536
Last edited:
You need to be higher, especially with a lack of snow. Those higher ridges are where i would concentrate.

it looks good to me but... Deer are a lot like elk in that they are where you find them. I have spent many days huntigngreat looking area and never saw an animal. I have also walked through grass that is 5 inches tall and jumped a 180 class buck from a two foot depression. This particular situation was in eastern Wyoming but I have found similar situations in Utah and Colorado.

I know nothing about hunting mule deer, but I'm curious what camera you used to take the photos with the information recorded on them? I assume it's a GPS unit with integrated camera.

+1 on deer are where you find them. 70% of the elk are in 30% of elk country, and that's seeming to be true with deer now too. Especially in our heavily hunted OTC units in idaho, between that and the predators I have found great looking areas that are gameless. But I have also found awesome numbers in odd looking country. I'd reccommend higher until we get some weather (forecast sucks), I was seeing small bucks and does at 7-8k yesterday not far from Boise.

Last edited:
Every deer I found this year was above 7000 ft here in Nevada. I was hunting mainly the high country but in the lower areas I looked I didn't find much.

Sheds might mean your too low but I really couldn't tell ya. I would say if an evening of glassing produces nothing then try higher for now, or go to an area that you feel more comfortable with.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back