Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Rate this deer country

Paul in Idaho

In a recent post I talked about how my desert hunting background is causing problems for me as I try to hunt central Idaho.

Here are some photos from where I hunted last week. Please post your thoughts about the quality of this area for holding bucks. They weren't there last week, but I found a lot of indication deer live there part of the year. Possibly just winter range, as I found one good matched set of sheds plus a single smaller 4-point antler

This area was in the 6000-7000+ elevation range, surrounded by ridges that went up around 9,000 feet. There was a large creek within a mile of each of these photos, with aspens and poplars around it and in the lower draws.

Attachments

• deer-country1.jpg
    deer-country1.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 532
  • deer-country2.jpg
    deer-country2.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 535
  • deer-country3.jpg
    deer-country3.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 537
  • deer-country4.jpg
    deer-country4.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 534
  • deer-country5.jpg
    deer-country5.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 539
  • deer-country6.jpg
    deer-country6.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 539
  • deer-country7.jpg
    deer-country7.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 536
Last edited:
You need to be higher, especially with a lack of snow. Those higher ridges are where i would concentrate.

it looks good to me but... Deer are a lot like elk in that they are where you find them. I have spent many days huntigngreat looking area and never saw an animal. I have also walked through grass that is 5 inches tall and jumped a 180 class buck from a two foot depression. This particular situation was in eastern Wyoming but I have found similar situations in Utah and Colorado.

I know nothing about hunting mule deer, but I'm curious what camera you used to take the photos with the information recorded on them? I assume it's a GPS unit with integrated camera.

+1 on deer are where you find them. 70% of the elk are in 30% of elk country, and that's seeming to be true with deer now too. Especially in our heavily hunted OTC units in idaho, between that and the predators I have found great looking areas that are gameless. But I have also found awesome numbers in odd looking country. I'd reccommend higher until we get some weather (forecast sucks), I was seeing small bucks and does at 7-8k yesterday not far from Boise.

Last edited:
Every deer I found this year was above 7000 ft here in Nevada. I was hunting mainly the high country but in the lower areas I looked I didn't find much.

Sheds might mean your too low but I really couldn't tell ya. I would say if an evening of glassing produces nothing then try higher for now, or go to an area that you feel more comfortable with.

Back