Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Randy said i should..

Looking forward to the photos schmalts. Sounds like quite the experience. Wish I were huntin . . .:)

The rental place made me fill out an accident report. This could be an expensive 4 day trip..

a few photos of an area south of Tucson.
I found 4 of these
2010-12-31_14-55-22_110.jpg

This is only the front end... the back end sadly is much much uglier and I did not get a photo. This is gonna cost me.
2010-12-30_13-52-55_116.jpg

How the hell does this happen???
2010-12-28_16-34-37_370.jpg

This rainbow made me think of AZ402
P1070136.jpg

Sorry Guys, i was a mess on this trip in many ways. I had the white balance off real bad for these photos so I made them black and white for the most part.
P1070144.jpg

P1070142.jpg

P1070141.jpg

Any deer pics? Looks like the wreck of the week.

No deer pics. In just 4 days with 2 of them being terrible weather I could not put things together to find the 90" or better buck I wanted to put a tag on.
Another thing against me was the rut seemed not even there. Not surprising since the eastern WT deer where a week or so later than usual because of where the full moon falls in Nov and Dec. WT either coues or eastern are both triggered by the moon phase to rut so my guess is if one species is going to be late so will the other.
I could have went after a 80" maybe... deer the last part of the last afternoon but i did not want to go through with it for an 80 inch deer.

The unit I hunted was not my first choice, and I really would not put in for it ever again. When i hunted Mule deer in surrounding units years past I seen far more WT deer than this years hunt. I chose this one as a second choice so I could stay with a buddy in Tucson and drive out every morning.
I was solo and things are a little scary down there these days.
I talked with a hunter in the AM at a gas station while i filled up with gas and he said he and his buddy found an AK47 under a rock the weekend before. Crazy... Another guy I talked with said the last time he hunted down there he found 2 bails of pot. He did not wait around to find out who dropped it and ran to hide

Last edited:
Couple comments...first I dont think the 4th season hunts are ever late enough to catch the full on whitetail rut, at least in the southern units. I think best case you get some pre-rut activity and increased deer activity because of colder weather.

The one thing I found that all but shut down deer activity down there was wind...they flat dont move much if its windy.

I hunted alone for 5-6 days and never once felt threatened or even like I was risking anything. I camped in my wall tent and left everything in there, food, water, everything but my rifles, spotting scope, and binoculars...within 15 miles of Mexico. The best thing you can do is camp near highways or main roads, there is constant border patrol presence on the main roads. Any hunter with half a brain can learn how to be safe hunting Southern Arizona after about 2 hours. The fact is that the illegals are going to do all they can to remain undetected. The drug runners even more so. The illegal situation is bad for trash...but as far as a threat to life...its way, way, way over-blown. The illegals/drug runners know when deer seasons are down there and that everyone they encounter will likely have a firearm during the deer season as well. I confirmed that with the border patrol.

In 10 days of hunting I saw one group of illegals and a single illegal, and I spent most all of those 10 days behind glass. The lone guy had given up and wanted to be caught, he looked like he'd been run through the ringer.

The biggest problem I see down there is the trash...its absolutely ridiculous, but I would spend the entire month of December alone hunting southern Arizona without worrying that my life was at risk.

Funny how everyone always talks to a guy that knew a guy that........

Last edited:
The one thing I found that all but shut down deer activity down there was wind...they flat dont move much if its windy.

The day I saw no bucks the gusts were 40MPH, go figure. the day before it was steady 25 gusting to 25, i saw 2 bucks.
As far as safety, the worst thing is to surprise someone face to face if you are alone. I did a lot of hiking and that was always in my mind.

Schmalts,

Easy solution to that problem of meeting someone face-to-face:

1. You have a firearm.
2. Stay visible when hiking to glassing spots.
3. Leave them alone and let them walk on by.

I think just plain common sense is your best approach...no reason to be paranoid.

Oh, and a hint for hunting those deer...if you "did a lot of hiking", you didnt spend enough time behind glass.

Buzz, I did a lot of hiking because I had a rental truck that made me hike farther to where I was glassing without pin striping the crap out of it (happened anyway). Trust me, I know what and how to use 15X binos on a fluid head tripod. I don't know what unit you hunted or where but in this unit road hunting was not productive unless you put some good brush marks on a truck or humped in a bit from the truck most of the time. As far as illegal traffic, I left my sidearm at home this time and would have felt a little more comfortable with it over a rifle in a gun bearer. Your more trusting than I am, things can happened out there anytime just like ib bear country. I would prefer to hunt down there with a partner if possible and would advise it depending on the area. No way I would ever leave a spotting scope in a tent when I am gone either, once again your a lot more trusting of others. One thing I did do is put a couple bottled waters on the hood of the rental when hiking. I was told by the border patrol it is not a bad idea because many times they will break a window just to get water. They are out there all the time so I trusted his advice. There was low illegal traffic on this trip according to the BP it was the unusual weather. I would think cold weather would make it better for them but I guess they are not prepared for temps in the 20's
You are correct with the rut. I archery hunted down ther 5 years in the first w weeks of jan and that is the best. But this year the pre-rut was not even evedent because of the later moon phase. Big groups of doe with fawns without any bucks and bucks still together was the norm, all bad signs as far as I am concerned. All in all it beats a day at work and that country is fun to hike, drive, and hunt. It is a shame we have to worry about anything down there besides trashing a rental with no ground clearence

Last edited:
Bad deal on the truck. Hunting those things is definitely something on my short list...in case anyone's looking for a partner... ;) :D

If one has the rental co's insurance or if a vehicle is covered under one's personal auto insurance is that kind of damage covered? Due to my recent move, I have a feeling I'll be doing some hunting out of rental vehicles in the future.

Schmalts,

I didnt leave my spotting scope, rifle, or binoculars...or backpack, thats what I said in the first post. I typically need all those things while hunting.

I have a lot more faith in my abilities with a rifle than I do my abilities with a sidearm...

I still think a majority of what you hear is unfounded paranoia in regard to personal safety...I'd hunt anywhere in S. Arizona solo without giving it much thought.

I didnt road hunt either, but I was in place to glass at first light every single day and I didnt spend any time hiking during daylight hours unless it was mid-day. You have about 2 hours of deer activity in the morning and maybe 1-1.5 hours in the evening.

Before you even start hunting you should already know all your glassing spots...if you're trying to find the best glassing spots hiking around...you're wasting time you should be spending glassing.

There is no other animal you hunt that glassing is more critical on...IMO. Mainly because they're hard to see even if you're in the right area. They dont move much even during prime time and are really tough to glass up when bedded.

They are no piece of cake to hunt, and finding a good buck isnt real easy either. Plus, finding one and getting it killed are two different things....

Schmalts,

I still think a majority of what you hear is unfounded paranoia in regard to personal safety...I'd hunt anywhere in S. Arizona solo without giving it much thought.

Before you even start hunting you should already know all your glassing spots...if you're trying to find the best glassing spots hiking around...you're wasting time you should be spending glassing.

They are no piece of cake to hunt, and finding a good buck isnt real easy either. Plus, finding one and getting it killed are two different things....
Buzz one thing I did because it was so cold was I hiked in a couple miles in the AM so I could glass to the east before the sun topped over the hills and mountains at first light, then worked down a ridge and picked the hills apart as I worked my way back towards the truck to keep the sun out of my eyes and glass the sunny sides of the hills as it seemed they liked to warm up a bit in that cold temps. Your thoery is great if your in a place you hunted a lot in the past but this unit was new for WT for me and I only hunted it for MD years ago. Maybe I can get you to mark up a map of glassing spots next time;) this year was weird that they few days I hunted were pretty cold and I seen deer up and moving mid day a lot more than normal.
Moosie, better yet I will do what you do and take bugler along for protection:D

Last edited:
Bad deal on the truck. Hunting those things is definitely something on my short list...in case anyone's looking for a partner... ;) :D

If one has the rental co's insurance or if a vehicle is covered under one's personal auto insurance is that kind of damage covered? Due to my recent move, I have a feeling I'll be doing some hunting out of rental vehicles in the future.

Pointer, you on if you want to apply together, I know some pretty good spots in a different unit.
as far as the rental, bad deal yea. My ins will cover it if I choose to report it but with a 1k deductable and possible rate hikes I will have to weigh it all out.
The problem really was not ground clearence as much as it was how long the front end was on that thing. With so much out in front of the front wheels when the front tires dropped into wash outs the valance was plowing into the other side. A small wheel base suv would have been no problem

I did things alot different than you did Schmalts...I glassed East facing slopes in the morning and West facing slopes at night. The sun was never a problem...but rather an asset.

Plus I could see the illegals coming before they got me...

I did things alot different than you did Schmalts...I glassed East facing slopes in the morning and West facing slopes at night. The sun was never a problem...but rather an asset.

Plus I could see the illegals coming before they got me...

how do you see well if there is not cloud cover to keep the optics from glaring out badly:confused: I love it when it is overcast as it is not a problem but 2 of the 4 days i hunted once the sun topped over the hills glassing into the east was not an option for this guy, the glare was terrible until the sun got higher.
Maybe I am not reading you or vice versa. You say "east facing slopes" and that would be glassing facing to the west correct? If so we do the same thing.
As far as the illegals getting you, didn't you have your friends hunting with you last year?

Last edited:
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back