R7 mule b tags

I’m just excited to bring my wife and three kids that hunt and our 35 antlerless mule deer tags and go grocery shopping on the Custer. What time does that covfete shop on Diamond Butte open up each day? We all got new 6.5 Creeds so we should be able to shoot up to 1000 yards of the road. Got a big winch with a mile of mule tape and two chest freezers in the trailer. Sure hope it goes good. If it does I will be bring some of the in-laws and their kid next year. #hunttoeatbaby

Region 7 is 29,799 square miles. 8,500 B tags would equate to the taking of 1 deer out of every 3.5 sq miles. Take it for what it is, good bad or otherwise. I could see this being of concern with areas with high percentages of public land.
Just for clarification, 8,500 is leftover.

yes 11,000 is correct. which would equate to 1 in 2.7 sq miles assuming 100% success rate

Just for context sake... In 2018 a total of 3189 MD does were taken in all of Wyoming. That is still 3189 too many. MT must be overrun with deer.

View attachment 112115

yes 11,000 is correct. which would equate to 1 in 2.7 sq miles assuming 100% success rate
11,000 b muley tags is ridiculous. You understand that doe’s can also be taken on the A tags . 11,000 is a huge number of deer . Even if only half get filled that’s a lot less mule deer around

Buzz sends incessant and largely futile laments out to the four winds about "it" being MFWP's fault. He would be correct.
Greenhorn says hunters buying one of those tags should take a kick to the crotch - suggesting the public has a major set of dirty hands in this one. He might be correct.
Schaaf say that the public buys the shit out of 'em. He is correct. And that public must be correct, as they are just purchasing what's available to them - right??
Where does the buck (or lack thereof - a quality one, that is..... poor humor attempt) stop? Where and how does an actual solution come from/get implemented, given the fact a lotta' hunters will kill gladly the last piece of meat on four legs, or wings (many Montana's upland bird populations are likely in poor shape this year -a whole different but relevant topic)???
Everybody's correct, whole bunch of fingers pointing at different parties to blame. And Montanans keep voting for a majority of legislators who are of no help whatsoever - in fact the opposite.
Interesting conundrum.

I always seem to come back to "government for the people, BY THE PEOPLE".............................................................

What exactly do our license fees buy us? I used to think we bought those so that we could pay professionals to properly manage our big-game? If they aren't, then why pay salaries for them?

I'd like to find a memo that came from the Governors office of Montana saying that the MTFWP biologists MUST issue 11,000 antlerless mule deer tags in region 7...I don't think such a memo exists. So what TF difference does it make who the legislators are?

In many, many conversations I've had with the Biologists in Montana, when I question these kinds of decisions, its justified by them as proper management. Same as 11 week seasons, same as shoulder seasons.

I think the only thing that can happen to invoke change at this point is to shoot everything down to the point that even the dimmest of the dim recognize there is a problem, in other words rock bottom. Its getting there...just going to take a while longer. So, get out there and fill those tags and freezers!

Sad fact, but a fact none-the-less.

11,000 b muley tags is ridiculous. You understand that doe’s can also be taken on the A tags . 11,000 is a huge number of deer . Even if only half get filled that’s a lot less mule deer around

11,000 kinda light given how much land there is. All the hunters will disperse themselves naturally, kind of like the animals do. It's science.

I didn't post this as a justification, but to provide a scale for those wondering. I would agree with most here that it seems excessive. ED

Buzz is spot on if you take the time to talk to game managers and biologists at the fwp their management couldn’t be any better and the numbers are doing great. The management will continue and the majority of hunters are very happy with it according to them. Montana is a garbage state to hunt and will continue to get worse.

11,000 kinda light given how much land there is. All the hunters will disperse themselves naturally, kind of like the animals do. It's science.

That theory has saved the ass of the MTFWP in the past..."well, if the mule deer are gone in Western Montana, the hunters will go somewhere else (eastern Montana)".

The trouble is now, there's no "somewhere else" to go.

A very good friend of mine summed it up probably even better, "If not for the vastness of Montana, and private land, there wouldn't be anything left to hunt".

If you're directing your questions and facts at my post, Buzz, you're whining to the choir. And if you think there exists a wide gap between thoughts, theories, and, prognostications - you need to brush up on context.
Savvy, conscientious, and engaged whiners often whine in the right direction.
I've been in the middle of this particular and exact game for long enough that I've learned to make dark fun of it - gallows humor. It's safer than massive quantities of alcohol. Lamb may disagree.
Ever watch and listen to the characters on MASH??????................

It’s hard for me to get worked up about when I can walk 500 yards from the truck anywhere in region 7 and glass half dozen mulie does

If you're directing your questions and facts at my post, Buzz, you're whining to the choir. And if you think there exists a wide gap between thoughts, theories, and, prognostications - you need to brush up on context.
Savvy, conscientious, and engaged whiners often whine in the right direction.
I've been in the middle of this particular and exact game for long enough that I've learned to make dark fun of it - gallows humor. It's safer than massive quantities of alcohol. Lamb may disagree.
Ever watch and listen to the characters on MASH??????................

Nope, not directing any of my post at you at all...just in general.

I really don't find a lot of humor, dark or otherwise, in epic mismanagement of something I care an awful lot about, though.

No, not much of a MASH fan...but really like dark humor (Tarantino for example).

"It’s hard for me to get worked up about when I can walk 500 yards from the truck anywhere in region 7 and glass half dozen mulie does"

There you have it Buzz - the voice of of many. Add that to the "no voices whatsoever" and the complainers might be a relatively a mere squeek in the dark.
And, yeah, I have somewhat of a vested interest myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back