MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Quick U.P. Vacay

I've got a lake house place not too far from Traverse City and spend a lot of time in northern Michigan. From what I hear from the locals there are a whole lot of people with the same plan as you this summer as many have cancelled big trips, travel plans, etc. due to health concerns. Traffic going north cross the bridge and in the UP is about as high as it gets. Make sure you book your lodging or campgrounds in advance as that might get tricky.

Enjoy the trip, it's beautiful country.

I've got a lake house place not too far from Traverse City and spend a lot of time in northern Michigan. From what I hear from the locals there are a whole lot of people with the same plan as you this summer as many have cancelled big trips, travel plans, etc. due to health concerns. Traffic going north cross the bridge and in the UP is about as high as it gets. Make sure you book your lodging or campgrounds in advance as that might get tricky.

Enjoy the trip, it's beautiful country.
We booked a campsite at black harbor campground for two nights. I was very surprised there were spots available. We got one that is described as prime and is lakefront.

Thanks, you guys are better then a travel agent! 🤣. Keep em coming, I already have to much on my list to do but options are always great!

Ontonagon county-Agate falls and bond falls....to name just a couple.
Gogebic county-Kayak the Sylvania Wilderness area & go to the top of Copper Peak ski jump.
Also, jfyi.....if you're not aware, per the Governor’s order, face coverings are now required in businesses and when outside where 6’ social distancing cannot be maintained (summary of EO 2020-147)

Ontonagon county-Agate falls and bond falls....to name just a couple.
Gogebic county-Kayak the Sylvania Wilderness area & go to the top of Copper Peak ski jump.
Also, jfyi.....if you're not aware, per the Governor’s order, face coverings are now required in businesses and when outside where 6’ social distancing cannot be maintained (summary of EO 2020-147)
Thank you! I had heard that order . We have been wearing ours when needed and carry them everywhere.

I just found what I thought looked like a boat just off of Shore near thePendill lake fish hatchery on Onx. When I googled it a video came up of people snorkeling around a sunken ship in the same spot. Has anyone been to this area?

Pictured Rocks is great. If you’ve got time, do some hiking or do the boat tour. If you do the boat tour, book it earlier in the morning as the lake will typically be calmer. Tahquamenon Falls is nice, if you do the hike from upper to lower (or vice versa), definitely pack some water and some bug dope. Munising is great, but I’m partial to Grand Marais. If you make to GM, take a walk out to the pier, or head east of town on H-58 for and park along the lake shore about have way to Deer Park and you’ll have miles of shoreline to yourself to explore.

If you’re into huge greasy hamburgers, a Big-C from Clyde’s in St. Ignorance is worth it with a side of onion rings. I wouldn’t recommend trying to eat that thing while driving, but I can say I’ve done it and lived to tell the story. That's usually my "going home" meal after my annual October grouse trip.

On your return trip, plan on a stop in Brevort’s at Gustafson’s for some smoked whitefish and some crackers. Stop along the Lake Michigan shore and enjoy a sunset and a little taste of da yoop. If you’ve got kids, make another stop at Big Spring (Kitch-it-kipi) and let the kids check out the big trout.

Fayette State Park is also a good stop for the kids and isn’t too far of a jaunt down the Garden Peninsula. That’s a strange little microclimate with an equally strange set of local families. There’s essentially one road onto the peninsula and one road off. “Garden Green” was a thing for a long, long time before it became legal, and rumor has it they would round-bail their home grown produce at the end of the summer. Not my thing, but I’ve killed a few happy laid-back grouse on the peninsula.

I’ve been lucky enough to spend a lot of time in the UP over the years and I've gotta say this- pasties just aren’t my thing. My mom has a wonderful pasty recipe handed down from generations from her friend from Hancock. They’re good (and a chit-ton of work!), but I’d rather have a mediocre cheeseburger. If you decide to stop and try them, I’m told Lehto’s are the best. Like I said, they’re just not my thing.

Have a great trip, grab a Yooper Ale (or six), and enjoy the sunsets. When you get home, just don't tell anybody. ;-)

-tom
All good ideas for places to check out! But if you're in the yoop, you should be having pasties for every meal. Just kidding, but for real they are good! Gravy or ketchup on them, I like ketchup!

On your return trip, plan on a stop in Brevort’s at Gustafson’s for some smoked whitefish and some crackers. Stop along the Lake Michigan shore and enjoy a sunset and a little taste of da yoop. If you’ve got kids, make another stop at Big Spring (Kitch-it-kipi) and let the kids check out the big trout.
They are the best!! When I get up that way I always stop and get some smoked fish

We will be leaving tomorrow, Thursday, after work. We are driving for a couple hours and stopping to let the kid swim at a motel. Friday we will head to the Keeweenaw Peninsula for Friday and Saturday nights. Sunday we are heading East to Pictured Rocks and will stay or camp where ever we end up on Sunday night. Monday we are going to try and see the bridge and start heading west along US 2. We are ready to be out of here for a few days with really no hard set plans. Thank you to everyone who offered advice. I will post some pictures during the trip or when we return.

We will be leaving tomorrow, Thursday, after work. We are driving for a couple hours and stopping to let the kid swim at a motel. Friday we will head to the Keeweenaw Peninsula for Friday and Saturday nights. Sunday we are heading East to Pictured Rocks and will stay or camp where ever we end up on Sunday night. Monday we are going to try and see the bridge and start heading west along US 2. We are ready to be out of here for a few days with really no hard set plans. Thank you to everyone who offered advice. I will post some pictures during the trip or when we return.
Enjoy your trip. There have been a lot of tourists this summer. I'm just giving a heads up. I'm looking forward to your trip results.

Enjoy your trip. There have been a lot of tourists this summer. I'm just giving a heads up. I'm looking forward to your trip results.
It seems that is the case everywhere. We have reservations for Friday and Saturday night so no worries there! Thanks for the help.

Looking forward to your pics and trip report.
Stop at the Hilltop Restaurant in L’Anse and get one or two of their sweet rolls (aka Cinnamon Roll). They’re over 1 pound!😳😀
I’m going to get 2, but in September when I’m lugging up the mountain in CO I will blame it all on these >1 lb cinnamon rolls! 😆

Those rolls are awesome. Guy that ran that joint 30 years ago grew up in Suttons Bay with my old man. Dont think he's there anymore. Lots of good memories from my childhood and splitting up those monster rolls!! Safe travels.

If you see a wooden tailgate on an old yota pick-up with a wood-burned UP outline and "keep out" stamped on it, say hi to my buddy and tell him I'll see him in October. His bark is worse than his bite.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back