Quick U.P. Vacay

Gellar

Since I doubt we will be making it to Canada this summer we are planning a short trip to the U.P. I am sad to report I lived in Michigan for two years and made it across the bridge 1 time but that was all. This time we will be coming from the West and going East. Waterfalls, lighthouses, breweries, and blueberries are our main focus we will be camping at Black River Rec area in Ottawa Nat Forest for at least two nights. Plan on heading East along the Superior Coast from their towards Pictured Rocks for a night and the Sault Saint Marie before heading west along the Lake Michigan coast. Anyone have any must sees or dos? We will have kayaks with us too.

I'll chime in with no help what so ever. I have my eyes set on doing north half of the lake loop late summer of early fall. Looking forward to it.

Pictured Rocks is great. If you’ve got time, do some hiking or do the boat tour. If you do the boat tour, book it earlier in the morning as the lake will typically be calmer. Tahquamenon Falls is nice, if you do the hike from upper to lower (or vice versa), definitely pack some water and some bug dope. Munising is great, but I’m partial to Grand Marais. If you make to GM, take a walk out to the pier, or head east of town on H-58 for and park along the lake shore about have way to Deer Park and you’ll have miles of shoreline to yourself to explore.

If you’re into huge greasy hamburgers, a Big-C from Clyde’s in St. Ignorance is worth it with a side of onion rings. I wouldn’t recommend trying to eat that thing while driving, but I can say I’ve done it and lived to tell the story. That's usually my "going home" meal after my annual October grouse trip.

On your return trip, plan on a stop in Brevort’s at Gustafson’s for some smoked whitefish and some crackers. Stop along the Lake Michigan shore and enjoy a sunset and a little taste of da yoop. If you’ve got kids, make another stop at Big Spring (Kitch-it-kipi) and let the kids check out the big trout.

Fayette State Park is also a good stop for the kids and isn’t too far of a jaunt down the Garden Peninsula. That’s a strange little microclimate with an equally strange set of local families. There’s essentially one road onto the peninsula and one road off. “Garden Green” was a thing for a long, long time before it became legal, and rumor has it they would round-bail their home grown produce at the end of the summer. Not my thing, but I’ve killed a few happy laid-back grouse on the peninsula.

I’ve been lucky enough to spend a lot of time in the UP over the years and I've gotta say this- pasties just aren’t my thing. My mom has a wonderful pasty recipe handed down from generations from her friend from Hancock. They’re good (and a chit-ton of work!), but I’d rather have a mediocre cheeseburger. If you decide to stop and try them, I’m told Lehto’s are the best. Like I said, they’re just not my thing.

Have a great trip, grab a Yooper Ale (or six), and enjoy the sunsets. When you get home, just don't tell anybody. ;-)

-tom

Since I doubt we will be making it to Canada this summer we are planning a short trip to the U.P. I am sad to report I lived in Michigan for two years and made it across the bridge 1 time but that was all. This time we will be coming from the West and going East. Waterfalls, lighthouses, breweries, and blueberries are our main focus we will be camping at Black River Rec area in Ottawa Nat Forest for at least two nights. Plan on heading East along the Superior Coast from their towards Pictured Rocks for a night and the Sault Saint Marie before heading west along the Lake Michigan coast. Anyone have any must sees or dos? We will have kayaks with us too.
The Lake of the Clouds overlook is worth a stop. Take the kiddos for an ice cream at the shop just outside the park entrance. If it looks like there are bears on the front porch, yeah those are wild bears.

Pictured Rocks is great. If you’ve got time, do some hiking or do the boat tour. If you do the boat tour, book it earlier in the morning as the lake will typically be calmer. Tahquamenon Falls is nice, if you do the hike from upper to lower (or vice versa), definitely pack some water and some bug dope. Munising is great, but I’m partial to Grand Marais. If you make to GM, take a walk out to the pier, or head east of town on H-58 for and park along the lake shore about have way to Deer Park and you’ll have miles of shoreline to yourself to explore.

If you’re into huge greasy hamburgers, a Big-C from Clyde’s in St. Ignorance is worth it with a side of onion rings. I wouldn’t recommend trying to eat that thing while driving, but I can say I’ve done it and lived to tell the story. That's usually my "going home" meal after my annual October grouse trip.

On your return trip, plan on a stop in Brevort’s at Gustafson’s for some smoked whitefish and some crackers. Stop along the Lake Michigan shore and enjoy a sunset and a little taste of da yoop. If you’ve got kids, make another stop at Big Spring (Kitch-it-kipi) and let the kids check out the big trout.

Fayette State Park is also a good stop for the kids and isn’t too far of a jaunt down the Garden Peninsula. That’s a strange little microclimate with an equally strange set of local families. There’s essentially one road onto the peninsula and one road off. “Garden Green” was a thing for a long, long time before it became legal, and rumor has it they would round-bail their home grown produce at the end of the summer. Not my thing, but I’ve killed a few happy laid-back grouse on the peninsula.

I’ve been lucky enough to spend a lot of time in the UP over the years and I've gotta say this- pasties just aren’t my thing. My mom has a wonderful pasty recipe handed down from generations from her friend from Hancock. They’re good (and a chit-ton of work!), but I’d rather have a mediocre cheeseburger. If you decide to stop and try them, I’m told Lehto’s are the best. Like I said, they’re just not my thing.

Have a great trip, grab a Yooper Ale (or six), and enjoy the sunsets. When you get home, just don't tell anybody. ;-)

-tom
Wealth of info! Thanks. I will put Clydes on the list!

Have to get a Cudighi sandwich if you’re in da UP. I may be biased, as my great great grandparents of the (in)famous Barbiere clan lay claim (supposedly) to serving the first ones on US soil;)

Last edited:
Have to get a Cudighi sandwich if you’re in da UP. I may be biased, as my great great grandparents of the (in)famous Barbiere clan lay claim (supposedly) to serving the first ones on US soil;)
First I’ve heard of the Cudighi sand which but it looks and sounds awesome. Where’s the best place to get one?

Used to go UP from IN every summer when I was a kid (still have family in the mitt) and I absolutely LOVE it........I would love to have a lil place up there but with the current political climate emanating from Lansing it is not in the cards. Enjoy the wild and the lakes :)

First I’ve heard of the Cudighi sand which but it looks and sounds awesome. Where’s the best place to get one?

Lawry's Pasty Shop or Ralph's Italian Delicatessen in Ishpeming, Tino's or Paisano's in Negaunee

It sounds like you have a great trip planned. I think this trip will be like a quick pass through scouting trip. There is just so much ground to cover and a lot of diversity in the UP. It will just drive you to want to come back and explore in more details the areas you find interesting. The blueberries are just starting to show some color change for ripening now. I'm going to say it will be about two weeks and they should be ripe for picking. It might be faster with the hot temps that we have been having. Try the Baraga Plains if you are looking for them. Younger Jack Pine stands with openings usually have the highest density for picking. While you are along the Lake Superior shoreline consider looking for Thimble Berries. They should be ripe about the time you are passing through on your trip.

You will probably notice the geology changes along the Lake Superior shoreline on your trip too. The West half of the UP is more rugged topography and is generally rocky with things like granite. Marquette seems to be the eastern edge of that type of country. The East side of Marquette you will notice the topography transitions to much flatter country with more sandy beaches and sandstone rock formation. Pictured Rocks is sandstone. There is very tall and steep sand dunes in Grand Marais along with a decent campground right on the Superior shoreline. The very North East part of the UP the geology changes again to a Limestone base until you get to the Saint Mary's River at the US / Canada border. The geology changes have an effect on the topography and plant life if you are interested and watching for it.

PM me right before you leave and I can check the status of the blueberries in my neck of the woods to see what their status is.

It sounds like you have a great trip planned. I think this trip will be like a quick pass through scouting trip. There is just so much ground to cover and a lot of diversity in the UP. It will just drive you to want to come back and explore in more details the areas you find interesting. The blueberries are just starting to show some color change for ripening now. I'm going to say it will be about two weeks and they should be ripe for picking. It might be faster with the hot temps that we have been having. Try the Baraga Plains if you are looking for them. Younger Jack Pine stands with openings usually have the highest density for picking. While you are along the Lake Superior shoreline consider looking for Thimble Berries. They should be ripe about the time you are passing through on your trip.

You will probably notice the geology changes along the Lake Superior shoreline on your trip too. The West half of the UP is more rugged topography and is generally rocky with things like granite. Marquette seems to be the eastern edge of that type of country. The East side of Marquette you will notice the topography transitions to much flatter country with more sandy beaches and sandstone rock formation. Pictured Rocks is sandstone. There is very tall and steep sand dunes in Grand Marais along with a decent campground right on the Superior shoreline. The very North East part of the UP the geology changes again to a Limestone base until you get to the Saint Mary's River at the US / Canada border. The geology changes have an effect on the topography and plant life if you are interested and watching for it.

PM me right before you leave and I can check the status of the blueberries in my neck of the woods to see what their status is.

thanks for the information! The geology is very fascinating! I am quickly realizing that we need much more then 4 days in the U.p.

Porcupine mountain area-Lake of the Clouds, Copper Harbor area-Brockway Mountain lookout, Marquette area- climb Sugarloaf, Munising area-Pictured Rocks, kayak the Autrain River (week day would be best), drive H58 towards Grand Marais and enjoy the view along way (like the log slide), Newberry area-Tahquamenon Falls, Sault Ste Marie-visit the Soo locks, Manistique area-Visit Kitch ITI Kipi, Garden area-Fayette State Park. No doubt the U.P. is a great place and there’s endless sights to see.
If you get to the Gladstone area and have some time, feel free to send me a PM. Not sure how the Blueberries will be then but I know a few spots in the Hiawatha National Forest that may be good.
Also, if you happen to speed a bit and get stopped by a Michigan State Trooper, with the last name of Robinson, while you’re in Gogebic or Ontonagon county, tell him you know his old man from hunttalk.😀

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back