Caribou Gear

Quick easy question for you guys regarding camping on public ground in WY

bigdonniebrasco

I know 100% that when driving I need to stay on public roads.

I will need to spend a night or two "truck camping" while I am out, and was wondering what the regulations are as far as how far off the road (on public land) am I allowed to drive in order to park, cook a few meals, sleep etc?

Thanks so much, and I am very excited to be here!!

Don

If it's not an established camp site, I try to keep my rig around 1 truck length from the road. Never had a problem.

Check in with the local Forest Service or BLM staton and ask about dispersed camping. Some public lands allow up to 300 yards, some don't allow it all. You cannot camp on state land in Wyoming.

Just my opinion- but there's no reason to drive off the road at all on BLM.

There's so many pullouts, turnarounds and established camping spots already, no reason to make more tire tracks than there already are.

Thanks Randy and I agree, I just wanted to be 100% sure that if I found a good place to pull off for the night, I'd be following the law.

* the OFFICIAL word from WY BLM (on the phone) is "your vehicle cannot be more than 300 FEET from an established rd".

Depends on the BLM\USFS unit you will be on and where they're at on their land use plans. 100' is pretty common but for others its shorter or longer. IE much of Nevada you can drive anywhere off road....

Pickup a bag of trash from around you're camp and you'll likely be pardoned if you made a bit of a mistake on where you're parked.

Hi,
Thank you for doing the research. I have/had the same question. Just to clarify something, did you specify a certain BLM plot of land you were interested in stopping on or was this general BLM advice/answer?

Talked to WYO BLM office yesterday about this. The gal I spoke with said to try and stay within 200' of the road.

Lots of places other people have pulled off the road, and even if there weren't you just pull off the road on BLM land and park. Pick up your trash, unlike lots of other people.

300 feet is a pretty common amount on FS and BLM land, but not always the case. That 300 feet also needs to be in the most direst route and not be causing damage.

A little more WY BLM camping rules http://www.blm.gov/wy/st/en/programs/Recreation/camping.html

Coconino National Forest dispersed camping rules are linked below. Most of which are pretty standard for dispersed camping on FS and BLM, but may vary between forests and specific sites within forests. http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/coconino/home/?cid=stelprdb5313448

If there is beetle kill, im sure there is plenty on the ground already, those are typically fair game, before you pit saw to standing tree you need to ask the question to the FS

I 'd be asking a question like that of the agency in charge of the public land you plan to hunt and not out on the net.

Of course Im planning on it, figured Id ask the question here.

Im not worried about firewood, just trying to reduce the risk of a tree falling on my camp/me/truck.

I'm not sure on the regs but we do it when needed. You can buy firewood permits for $20 / 2 cords and not have a worry.

Just my opinion- but there's no reason to drive off the road at all on BLM.

There's so many pullouts, turnarounds and established camping spots already, no reason to make more tire tracks than there already are.

You have to stay on established roads, no off road travel is what I heard from a BLM employee.

Back