Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Question for Win Pre 64 guys

T Bone

Is a pre '64 Model 70 Featherweight in .308 any rare chicken? It's well used, but all original except for the front sight hood is gone.

Ballpark value?

I don't think they're that rare...value is all about condition and what someone is willing to pay.

Saw a pretty sweet pre-64 in 308 in the Boise Cabelas a few years back and was $900 IIRC.

I have the same featherweight .308 from first year of manufacture (1960, perhaps?). Shoots great. Has piled up critters around the West. Semi-retired the gun after several years and mostly use a 338 Win Mag now.

Like Buzz said, they are not rare. Pristine mint condition ones are somewhat rare.

What is blue book value? They are good shooters for sure. I have a Pre 64 in .243 that I love. I'd hunt more with it, but I don't want to beat it up too badly.

Only "rare" 308 featherweights are the carbine models, they have a 20" barrel if I remember right. There are obviously other rare M70s, but generally are in different calibers and configurations.

Well used can be a lot of things. I wouldn't pay more than $900 if it was decent, the bottom value seems to be about $6-700 pending rust and bore. I window shop them regularly, keep thinking I need another one or two, but my money hasn't jumped out of my wallet yet.

As an FYI, if this is for the kids... take the aluminum but plate off and put a real recoil pad on it if it still has it. They are not fun to shoot as is.

I can't disagree I think $900 is about right. We had a pretty nice one at our Wichita Cabelas for about that price. Great rifles I love my 61' .270 fwt

the 308 in featherweight is not rare , I think that was one of the most popular models but I have that info somewhere in my files , I will look later to see if I can find the number of 308's they made

Only "rare" 308 featherweights are the carbine models, they have a 20" barrel if I remember right. There are obviously other rare M70s, but generally are in different calibers and configurations.

Well used can be a lot of things. I wouldn't pay more than $900 if it was decent, the bottom value seems to be about $6-700 pending rust and bore. I window shop them regularly, keep thinking I need another one or two, but my money hasn't jumped out of my wallet yet.

As an FYI, if this is for the kids... take the aluminum but plate off and put a real recoil pad on it if it still has it. They are not fun to shoot as is.

The pre-64's from about 1960 on are generally not considered to be prime collectors due to a slip in fit and finish, according to some. I would think that $900 unless mint, and a proven shooter, would be high. If the action is slick, and the finish is good, then $600-700 sounds about right? There's a pre-war 30-06 standard in Helena for sale for under $900. That's a steal.

I'll be the odd man out as I doubt I'd pay for than $400ish or so for a pre-64 in 308. A 308 on that length/weight action is not that attractive to me. I'd either want a lighter/shorter mountain styled rifle or a target style chunk of a rifle, neither of which would that action be all that attractive to me for. That said, it some thing like a 270 I'd pay more for. Just my $0.02....

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back