Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Question for the arborists out there.

44hunter45

I say this tree needs to come down. Wife, 3 grown sons who grew up climbing it, and one grandaughter lobbying for stay of execution.

Down limb is all bucked up, trunk wound cleaned up. There are two more massive branches hanging over the parking area. I value our cars more than the tree.

I need a less emotional, more experienced opinion. PA244340.JPG

Can you put more pictures? One of the trunk a little further back and then one a lot further back of the remaining canopy.

'Not an arborist, but had a large spruce with a similar "bad" joint. My arborist explained, "We can take it down and we'll know where everything will land ... or you can let the wind take it wherever!" It was next to the house and the first large trunk similar to yours had already blown over, taking out the phone line and the garden fence.

That tree and its twin nearby came down, wood is chunked for firewood, there are plenty of woodchips for garden, the fence has been resurrected ... and the phone works fine now.

Fire up the chainsaw
Safer and better yet, hire a professional like arborist Lui, the tree climbing guru originally from South America who looks and sounds just like Antonio Banderas, one of my wife's favorite actors. He is a pro who employs a drone to scope out the tree, then fires a pneumatic rocket-like projectile to secure a line to the treetop, and climbs to saw and lower portions of the tree safely and precisely ... very impressive to watch. He and his crew then grind small branches and pieces and chunk others for firewood. You do pay for what you get ... but it's priceless in terms of safety and efficiency.

Is this a 3 stem tree? You can see why the one stem broke (rotten interior), so, how far does that rot go into the remaining stems? With out better pictures showing the remaining tree trunk I think it is likely the tree has crotch rot in the other 2 stems; if it doesn't, you now have a large wound that will encourage future problems.

The power lines are actually about 200' behind. They look bigger and closer due to the ice buildup.

I'm a decent tree faller and there is nothing within the fall radius that I'm worried about. The main trunk is leaning strongly right where it needs to go. It might twist some but it should hinge nicely.

If I were to crush an ugly shed and and my oldest's wrecked car which he dumped in my yard, even better.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back