Question for Archers

YoungNVHunter

So, this coming year my wife is looking into taking up archery. She had to have three discs replaced in her neck about a month and a half ago, unfortunately she had to turn in her coveted muley rut tag due to the surgery and we are both concerned that rifle hunting may not be good for her neck heading into the future. After she gets clearance from the doctor the first thing she wants to do is go get a bow and put a couple months behind it to decide if she wants to put in for archery tags next year. For Christmas, Santa wanted to surprise her with some swag under the tree. I would love to go get a bow and put some pretty wrapping on it, but even though I have never fired a bow, I would assume that a bow would need to be picked out by her as I also assume that a bow is as personal to a person as boots or binoculars. What kind of items would go well with a bow that are not user specific, i.e. bow release, sights, quiver, case? Any advice this late in the game would be much appreciated! Thanks guys and gals!

A range finder with the ARC technology would be a good gift. As for bows, the mission series is a good starting point as it can grow with the user or be passed on down to a child.

Take some time and do your research. Talk to her Dr. and see if she would be able to handle a bow and work up to 45 lbs. at her draw length. If he is cool with it then go to your local pro shop and see what they have. We all have a favorite brand "Bowtech for me" but it's important to go to a trusted pro shop they can get you set up correctly the first time. The box stores just want a sale and often sell what they have, not what you need. Plus archery is a year round sport for the entire family. Have fun hope this helps.
Dan

Personally, I'm not picky about accessories. I don't care if they match color, camo, etc. They just have to work and the $$$$ is important. So depending on your wife's tastes, she may want to pick out things like quiver, stabilizer, etc. to match whatever bow she gets. A release, she definitely needs to try out a few for herself.

I agree with the range finder idea. Or a gift certificate. Not as much "ooooh" factor when unwrapping, but she can get what she wants.

For bows, check out Mission, Diamond Infinite Edge or the PSE Stinger 3G (or whatever they're calling their entry level bow this year). They are adjustable across a very broad range of draw lengths and weights.

Emrah

If Doc doesn't think she will be able to safely pull a bow I would second the crossbow thought IF the tags she wants to apply for will allow hunting with one. My wife has had shoulder surgery, and has very limited strength in it now, so when and if she gets the desire to do more than muzzleloader hunt I will be looking into a crossbow for her. Don't let other people's opinions of crossbows keep you and her from enjoying a sport you both love together. Happy Shopping!

As others said a diamond infinite edge might be good or a similar bow, they are highly adjustable to allow for the shooter to start light and work your way up in weight, plus the draw lenghth is adjustable so you don't have to worry about it not fiting her. it doesn't have to be one of these specific bows but most companies now are making at least one of these highly adjustable bows for the market and most will fit almost anybody. With that said I would try and maybe get her a gift certificate that will cover the bow along with something bow related things that you know you can return/exchange for what she will need with her new bow. Most stores will gibe you 90 days as long as its unopened or get her a bow that you know you can return or exchange as long as say their cam lock is still in place.

What I would do is buy her a gift certificate and put it on the back of one of those little suction cup bow and arrow toy sets so she thinks its just a joke until she finds the certificate.

This is a perfect situation for a crossbow to be considered. We are hunters even if we no longer hunt though when I hunt I renew the bond between me and nature in a way that just is not possible for me to do if am just hiking, for example. If she is approved for the recoil of a rifle, great. If can handle the physical demands of using a bow, great. If a crossbow is the better option, great. Hunt while you can.

If the crossbow doesn't work out my wife got into hunting with the bow about 3 years ago and bear makes a womens bow package that is great. My wife's was call the widow maker. It came with everything already on it. And it didn't break the bank!

The most important thing is t buy a bow that is set up for her. By that I mean the draw weight fits her and the draw weight is comfortable. Most bow companys make bows just for ladies. BowTech makes a great bow called the Heartbreaker. Look at that one. Pse had one called a Stalletto, tahts a great bow also. When that doc ok's it, take her to one of the archery shops in town and let her shoot several bows. They will all feel different. Plus the bow guys can set the weight and length for her.

Have you considered a very low recoil rifle? Something like a 6mm BR, 6.8 SPC, or a 250/3000 would offer a very usable round and mild recoil well under that of even the so called light recoil rifles such as a 243.

Hey NV

I have had to give up my bow due to ms, went 6-7 years no arrow flingin - huge bummer. A friend found out about disabled archer for me & had my doctor fill out the form and now I can fling carbon again , maybe it would be better for her . I don't know her cond. but It's got me back in to archery which I missed very much! WHAT EVER IT TAKES KEEP HUNTING!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back