first archery kill jumped the string

220yotekiller

l was given permission to hunt some private land, the owner has several small parcles of property that are loaded with whitetail does, she asked me to kill several to reduce the population, but there was a catch, it has to be archery only. l have been shooting archery for about 5 years but l have been strictly a rifle hunter for my whole life. l have a g5 bow that has a 70 lb pull, it is quite accurate but it is loud, there are basicly no dampeners on it. l didn't think that it would be a big deal as the shots would be relitivly close, about 35 yards would be the average. l got some g5 deadmeat broadheads and went out. l had a pair of does come in to an apple tree, they were right at 32 yards. l waited until one was broad side and put my 30 yard pin right behind her shoulder and released my arrow, at the shot she took off as hard as she could go, l coud see that l had hit her but couldn't tell where. the blood trail was extremely easy to follow, at one point l found where where she had slammed into a tree, breaking off mu arrow. l trailed her about 125 yards when l finally found her in a creek. l gutted her and then skinned her out so that l could find out what happened. lt was eyeopening to say the least, my arrow had entered her left ''thigh'' muscle gone through the paunch and exited between the 2nd and 3rd ribs. l believe that the only reason that l found her at all is that the broadhead had caught an artery on the exit, had it not been for that l honestly don't think that l would have found her.
l am taking my bow into the shop tomorow, what should l have them do to reduce the chance of deer jumping the string in the future...

My problem is I'm left eye dominant but right handed, in the heat of the battle I forget to close my left eye and the arrow flies to the left, wounded animal, the last one I fired at is now called Hopalong

just goes to show how ignorant l am.
She probably spun as she dropped, she still jumped the string.

Cat whiskers are the quietest string silencers I've found, if you have a strig stop those can be super loud too. Vented broadheads and blazer vanes are pretty dang noisy too. Don't go changing arrows mid season though. Also check that your arrow rest isn't hitting the shelf if you've got a drop away.

There's really only so much you can do, the reflexes on those things are so damn fast. Watch them when you're drawing and getting ready. If you're close enough you can see them tense up.

Oh and congratulations!

My first opportunity at a buck this year was a clean miss.
I had drawn back just as he winded me and turned to look.

We stood there staring each other down.

I finally remembered why i was there, moved the sight to behind his shoulder & let fly.

Just as he reared & turned.

Watched the Nocturnal go right past his chest.

Distance was 22 yards.

Yup, they are quick!

I’ll have to find the link but growing deer tv has a nice video explaining some of the science behind jumping the string. Basically what I gained was it’s easier for them to jump the string when their head is down feeding. When they are alert it’s harder for them to jump it.

Jumping string goes down when you have quietness at shot with accuracy. Most bows are shooting arrows at bottom of spine chart. Give up some velocity with heavier arrow gpi and bow will quiet down a lot. Tuning becomes easier, fixed broadhead flight becomes more stable, more KE usually, better penetration, hand recoil goes down etc. Ignore the velocity hype and tune the bow to quiet killer which you can. My son shoots a 82# Hoyt that is whisper quiet shooting 510 gr arrow. It can be done and worth the effort since you end up with better accurate kills.

There is no difference between 290 vs 270 fps in reaction on deer. Its a bow not a 30-06.

If a deer knows you are there, body language ls everything for shoot no shoot decision. Doesn't matter how fast or how quiet your bow is, their reaction time is impossible for us to understand at times. Deer at 15 yds is significantly different from 20 yds in reaction impact to arrival of arrow. Wind noise is big deal as well. Sometimes background noise can effect how a deer perceived noise of bow. Crystal quiet mornings are great to hear them coming but also contribute significantly to deer reactions. Each deer is different, some jump out of their skin, some just stand there. I will take slower whisper quiet bow any day over super fast semi quiet bow. When I shot a whisper quiet recurve many years ago, never had deer move at shot so 220 fps was plenty fast enough.

Last edited:
In describing your shot, your arrow went through the diaphragm and that causes the gut to fill the chest cavity resulting in suffocation even without blood loss. Usually quite a mess to clean. I have shot many deer and the best most reliable distance for success for me is 15-25 yds. Glad you got her and congratulations. Quite bows are more likely to lessen the "jumping" thing.

Not necessarily, he’s right, but imagine just another short second later she’s lunging forward, perhaps in a quartering away fashion, when the arrow made contact? It would make sense. Had the arrow hit a half second sooner it may have just been a high hit, rather than a much different channel than was presented prior to the sound of the bow

No matter how fast your arrow is, it's not faster than sound.
Some animals react and some don't.
This ^

You can never make a bow fast enough to overcome their jump or quiet enough not to scare them.

Years of hunting will teach you to hold off shooting alert deer or learn to aim very low. Double important on calm days.

Your scenario sounds potentially like bad luck and she might have been preparing to step anyway.

I’ve made it practice to basically aim for heart shots. That way if they jump it’s still a nice lung shot. If they don’t then money.

I have had deer jump so bad where a mid lung point of aim goes over their back at under 30 yards.

I shot at a doe feeding on an apple tree. She did not know I was there. 20 yds. I was in disbelief as I watched the arrow fly over her back? She came back to the same spot and resumed feeding like nothing had happened. Second arrow was aimed at bottom of body below the vitals. Same result but this time I realized how fast she was dropping. Well, she came back for a third shot. I aimed a foot lower and this one spined her. Should have never taken the second shot let alone the third but it worked out OK but that is not the norm.

I took a 50+ yard shot at a feeding chamois (been a few years and don't remember the exact yardage) He did not appear alert but jumped the string, clean miss.
Later I had a 30 + yard shot at a feeding chamois and he too jumped the string. I went to look for the arrow and found it a shortly beyond where he was and stuck in the ground vertically. Now I knew it wasn't a clean miss, looked in the direction where I saw him run off to and saw him standing with his mouth open. Finished him off at 25.
My point is that both chamois appeared relaxed while feeding.

Out of curiosity, did you broadhead tune the bow, or check where the broadheads are hitting in comparison to your sight?

No ignorance brother. If your target reacts and moves at the sound of your release that would be "jumping the string". The vertical drop to spring away is probably most common. Aim low for the heart, if the deer drops at the sound you still have a good chance of a double lung. Good luck and stay safe.

Out of curiosity, did you broadhead tune the bow, or check where the broadheads are hitting in comparison to your sight?
l went out afterward and checked, l was hitting slightly right about 3'', but not enough to hit that far back, l used my shot broadhead as a sacrifice and got it dead center.

If a whitetail is alert and not comfortable with the situation it’s not a good shot. You have to wait until they relax and go back to feeding or doing what they where doing. Bow hunting is often more about encounters than shots. Congrats on your first deer with a bow! Glad you found her.

I had a chance at my first ever archery buck last year. He came running right to 10 yards facing me and locked onto me in the tree when I drew back. After a minute at full draw he turned and went behind a tree. I let down and he stepped out on the other side of the tree at about 18 yards. I drew again and shot while he had his head down. I aimed a bit high to clear a limb and he ducked the shot big time.

What I took from the situation was that even though he had his head down, he was on edge from the initial encounter head on at 10 yards. It was a calm day and that string sound was just enough to get him to load his legs and drop enough for me to miss by 3” over the top.

Given this chance again (and if I can overcome buck fever and think clearly) I’d let him step past any limbs and aim bottom 4” of the body even though he was in close. If he wasn’t so on edge I’d probably aim a bit closer to center mass.

Bow hunting ain’t easy it turns out.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back