first archery kill jumped the string

I had a chance at my first ever archery buck last year. He came running right to 10 yards facing me and locked onto me in the tree when I drew back. After a minute at full draw he turned and went behind a tree. I let down and he stepped out on the other side of the tree at about 18 yards. I drew again and shot while he had his head down. I aimed a bit high to clear a limb and he ducked the shot big time.

What I took from the situation was that even though he had his head down, he was on edge from the initial encounter head on at 10 yards. It was a calm day and that string sound was just enough to get him to load his legs and drop enough for me to miss by 3” over the top.

Given this chance again (and if I can overcome buck fever and think clearly) I’d let him step past any limbs and aim bottom 4” of the body even though he was in close. If he wasn’t so on edge I’d probably aim a bit closer to center mass.

Bow hunting ain’t easy it turns out.
Don’t. I shot a cow elk- Perfect scenario point blank 16 yards: but I judged it for 25. Hit high and paid the price. Non lethal shot from a slam dunk position. Eff center mass- aim for the heart (low) and if you miss you hit double lung.. don’t aim center mass (behind front shoulder) and think it’s gravy.. had I been 6-8” lower it’d of been a sealed deal.. stick to the aiming lower..

I will be….

I’ve spined a few deer, and I’ve made some heart shots too. Many arrows cleared the deer’s back completely or just grazed the topline. I aim 1” above the bottom of the kill zone. That being said, the best medicine for string jumping is a target <15 yards, where the animal can’t crouch quickly enough before the impact.

Shoot for the bottom of the vitals, preferably with head down and feeding. Slightly quartering away is better. Inside of 25 yards is even better. No matter how much technology advances it’s still a short range game with unforgiving shot placement. The social media jackasses launching arrows at game 50 plus yards away, the saying “ that’s bow hunting“ when they can’t find their animal, hasnt done new bow hunters any favors.

I’ve spined a few deer, and I’ve made some heart shots too. Many arrows cleared the deer’s back completely or just grazed the topline. I aim 1” above the bottom of the kill zone. That being said, the best medicine for string jumping is a target <15 yards, where the animal can’t crouch quickly enough before the impact.
I've spined a couple of deer myself. I figured out that it was my form shooting from an elevated stand vs shooting from the ground causing me to hit high. Once I started consciously reminding myself to bend more at the waist I stopped having issues. Like someone said earlier turns out bowhunting isn't easy. Lots of ways for things to go wrong.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back