Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Recommendations for a bow for my wife

My wife loved archery growing up and was recently at a tac event and saw all the women shooting. I want to get her back into it. We have a 50 yard range in the yard and could shoot a lot with our daughters. I want to get her back into it and will definitely go to a shop and see what she likes the best. I have no ideas about womens bows though. Looking for bow recommendations as well as draw weight and any other recommendations are welcomed. She is petite but strong.
My soon to be wife got a Mission by Mathews from me for her birthday. We got it set up as a kit by the bow shop for under $600. She's shot it for a year and is up to 50 pounds now. Perfect beginner bow that will dial up to 60. She loves it.

I think a better approach is to go to your local bow shop and just let her shoot a bunch of stuff to see what she likes. Any shop worth it's salt will have pros there who can make recommendations, but ultimately, she will know when she shoots "the one". Whether she chooses Hoyt, Bear, Matthews, PSE, etc., is really irrelevant. It comes down to confidence and ability to make shots consistently.
EXACTLY! That's how I pick mine and how my wife picked hers.

My wife has a matthews avail. Dont cheap out on her and get her a piece of crap.

I flirted with the idea of getting my wife something cheaper in cause she didnt like it. I'm glad i went with the high end model.

Think about it, how much more fun is it to shoot something that is higher end and how much easier is it to shoot that higher end model. There is a reason they cost more, they are just better bows.

with that said, I think PSE, Matthews, and Hoyt are the only brands that make the really high end womens hunting bows but I could be wrong.

The biggest difference ive noticed is they are generally smaller and lighter weight. As far as performance, thats just physics, all the same rules apply. Generally you will not see as fast of arrow speeds as you would with the flagship models. Smaller cams, less draw weights, longer brace heights usually. Still kills stuff dead as ever.

id shoot that avail any day of the week, its a great bow.

I'm 5'2 115lbs and I'm on a bowtech edge 320. It's not the fanciest bow on the market but it's nice and I've enjoyed learning on it (and hopefully getting an elk with it this year!). I've upgraded a bunch of stuff on it - the sight, the quiver, re-strung it this year. I also have a fairly nice release. So you could get her that $1000 bow but the ~$500 bow will also work just fine. Of course now you guys have me eyeballing the Mathews Avail.

My wife shoots a Quest from G5, shoots good, fairly quiet and well balanced. It'll push an arrow thru a deer just like my fancy Elite.

I am going to sound pretty predictable, my apologies. If your wife is just shooting for the joy of shooting, have you considered a recurve? They are lighter (in real weight, not draw weight), and that tends to be a big deal for some women, including my wife and my mom back in the day. Both loved to shoot in the backyard for fun. Mom shot our hunting recurves that were way too much for her but she loved it nonetheless. For my wife, I bought a Bear Kodiak (?) with about a 30# draw. It is everything that my mom should have had. Feather light and easy to shoot all day if she wants. Anyway, unless you are gearing up for a big game as a realistic goal, why not a recurve that is far more comfortable, simpler, and elegant?

Maybe she ends up with something like this instead

For some reason I can spend an hour watching these videos.

Anyway, just another idea.

I am going to sound pretty predictable, my apologies. If your wife is just shooting for the joy of shooting, have you considered a recurve? They are lighter (in real weight, not draw weight), and that tends to be a big deal for some women, including my wife and my mom back in the day. Both loved to shoot in the backyard for fun. Mom shot our hunting recurves that were way too much for her but she loved it nonetheless. For my wife, I bought a Bear Kodiak (?) with about a 30# draw. It is everything that my mom should have had. Feather light and easy to shoot all day if she wants. Anyway, unless you are gearing up for a big game as a realistic goal, why not a recurve that is far more comfortable, simpler, and elegant?

Maybe she ends up with something like this instead

For some reason I can spend an hour watching these videos.

Anyway, just another idea.
Thanks! And I haven’t ruled it out, as I said before… whatever she wants is awesome with me!

I got Tammy a bow a few yrs ago went to a shop she shot several and we picked up a bear not sure the model but its draw was 30 to 40 I believe she started with 30 lbs to build good form before we added any weight
She didnt want to hunt just loves shooting so I though the lower weight would be best to get her started

when I got my wife a new bow I had her shoot every bow that would fit her in the shop. she is kind of a cheap skate so we took all the tags off the bow so that she actually got what she liked the most. she bought a mission. Great bows for not a ton of cash.

Would recommend taking her to a shop and seeing what she feels comfortable with and adjustable might be a good idea. My wife felt more comfortable starting at 18lbs on an adjustable bear royale, color, weight and style mattered. Once she learnt her shooting form she started to increase as she wanted to hunt and is at 45 lbs working up to 50 for elk season. Don’t overbow her if she doesn’t feel comfortable.

My wife loved archery growing up and was recently at a tac event and saw all the women shooting. I want to get her back into it. We have a 50 yard range in the yard and could shoot a lot with our daughters. I want to get her back into it and will definitely go to a shop and see what she likes the best. I have no ideas about womens bows though. Looking for bow recommendations as well as draw weight and any other recommendations are welcomed. She is petite but strong.
my wife has a bowtech eva shockey carbon she loves it. she wants to get her draw weight up to about 55 then its a mathews v3x we have twin daughters that can't for her upgrade they love to shoot her bow as well?!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back