Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

question about how you shoot

duckhead59

This is directed mainly towards rifle hunting...but it could apply to bow too.
When watching a lot of the hunting shows I've noticed they wait on a 'perfect' broadside shot...shoot 1 time...then if it doesnt drop, watch the animal go running off dragging a lame leg. Of course the camera quickly moves to the shooter, smiles, cackling, high fives and a few 'name drops' for the sponsors. Dont get me wrong...I get excited too and enjoy the moment...but my 1st order of biz is to anchor the animal.
My question is 'why' there is rarely a second+ follow up shot to anchor the animal? I was always taught and of the mind set that if the animal isn't pretty much falling as it runs...you take another shot...not only to reduce the chance of lost game...but also in respect to a quick/humane kill of the animal.
Hey guys...what are your thoughts?

I put it down then celebrate.
If it aint down, I go find it, I put it down then celebrate.
If I can't find it (or evidence it was hit), I find another, and start over...

This is directed mainly towards rifle hunting...but it could apply to bow too.
When watching a lot of the hunting shows I've noticed they wait on a 'perfect' broadside shot...shoot 1 time...then if it doesnt drop, watch the animal go running off dragging a lame leg. Of course the camera quickly moves to the shooter, smiles, cackling, high fives and a few 'name drops' for the sponsors. Dont get me wrong...I get excited too and enjoy the moment...but my 1st order of biz is to anchor the animal.
My question is 'why' there is rarely a second+ follow up shot to anchor the animal? I was always taught and of the mind set that if the animal isn't pretty much falling as it runs...you take another shot...not only to reduce the chance of lost game...but also in respect to a quick/humane kill of the animal.
Hey guys...what are your thoughts?

Much of what you see on these shows is staged, edited, and spliced. They don't want to put anything but a one shot, clean kill on the air most of the time. Too much blood and guts for the anti-hunters to use against them.
I give credit to the real hunting shots and situations that DO get put on the air like OYOA and a few others. Things like showing bringing in a tracking dog to find the animal and admitting to failing to make a clean kill are realistic bad situations handled in the right way.
But you always see the animal drop dead right where he's standing, or you see him run off and pictures of them finding him later. You rarely see him struggling to survive or gasping his last breaths. And if you do there's usually a disclaimer/caution message to warn people who might be upset or offended.
That's OK, but it ain't what happens in the field. Everyone appreciates that one shot, clean kill... but everyone doesn't always hit that "pole ax" spot, no matter how well they shoot...

Watch the video footage of BigFin shooting his NM Bull, from the look he gave the camera guy to his arm quivering after the shot, thats the real deal not the staged edited stuff we typically see!!

come on how much of Stann Potts can one take with his "just give me a second folks" he says it every damn time!

the nikster...I'm with you there...I shoot until down even if I know 1st shot was terminal...I dont shot 1 time make a hit and watch it run off for a grand recovery attempt.
Thats what I was getting at guys...do you shot til its down?...or try the 1 'prefect' shot I'll recover later after it dies somewhere?

IMO - there is a difference between howitzer action hunters throwing lead 400+yards
u25543742.jpg

OR taking a steady 200 yard shot as best placed as possible.
ScandinavianWinterSniper_1.jpg

Those making a good steady shot would most likely take the most appropriate follow up shot or tracking the game decision.

Only needed a second shot for Elk.... But I agree put it down clean and fast.....No excuse with a Rifle I.M.O...

I shoot and immediately reload. I use bullets that will go stem to sternum and don't mind getting poop on them.

Shoot and make sure your first is your last... if you know he's going down (humanely) you're good. And when it doubt, hit him again. That being said, I've shot twice (or more) quite a few times. During archery, if I can get another arrow in him (on a less than perfect shot), I'll do it.

I remember watching a show and a guy elk hunting (archery) put one through an elk's guts and it was a horrible angle. The camera went immediately to the hunter and guide... I figure even the camera man knew it was a lousy shot. But, for the sake of t.v, the guide high fived him and told him it was a great shot. The next scene you see is them holding the bull and I'm pretty certain some of those boys were wearing different outfits- probably got him the next day or so.

A former "Hunt Talker" once said;
"keep shooting till you've got your boot on them", or something like that.

I shoot until I can't shoot anymore... either because its on the ground, or I need to reload. Shooting is the funnest part why stop at one?

The last critter I shot was a moose. The first shot was about 125 yards, broadside. I had a great rest, and the 'target' was friggn huge. I squeezed the trigger on the 325wsm, and the bull stood there with absolutely no reaction. As I reloaded, he spun and started for the thick timber... I thought in my mind that there is absolutely no way I missed that bull, so I lined one up on his pucker hole and dropped him where he stood. The first shot was perfect right behind the shoulder, exiting the oposite side, the second shot was also perfect. Not an ounce of meat wasted, fortunate or unfortunate depending on how you look at it. :D

The last critter I shot was a moose. The first shot was about 125 yards, broadside. I had a great rest, and the 'target' was friggn huge. I squeezed the trigger on the 325wsm, and the bull stood there with absolutely no reaction. As I reloaded, he spun and started for the thick timber... I thought in my mind that there is absolutely no way I missed that bull, so I lined one up on his pucker hole and dropped him where he stood. The first shot was perfect right behind the shoulder, exiting the oposite side, the second shot was also perfect. Not an ounce of meat wasted, fortunate or unfortunate depending on how you look at it. :D

Don't believe you..... would need to see pictures!!!! :D

One shot every single time I have ever kilt sumthin....right! I have had two Cape Buff take 3 from my 416Rigby and three from PH .470 and another take two from the Rigby and one from a 378Wby. Only one, and he was full frontal, went down with one shot. And, BTW, all of my shots were in kill zone.

the nikster...I'm with you there...I shoot until down even if I know 1st shot was terminal...I dont shot 1 time make a hit and watch it run off for a grand recovery attempt.
Thats what I was getting at guys...do you shot til its down?...or try the 1 'prefect' shot I'll recover later after it dies somewhere?

If he don't go down or show signs of going down right now, I hit him again as hard as I can... with my rifle or my fist... LOL:D

Some of those shows are a joke. The one called the maniacs is particulary disappointing to me. Like a bunch of big stupid kids running around high fiving. Watch the one where they hunted pigs. Running at them, throwing arrows by hand, taking 100 yard bow shots, etc.

They show the shot, you can tell its hit to far back, and they congratulate each other, find the animal off camera. Position it so you cannot see the wound and how bad a shot was.
I think they do more harm to the hunting community than good.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back